No credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryk

Earning My Ears
Hi
I do nt have a Credit card ( do nt really like Credit Cards , like to pay straight away ) but do have a Visa debit card ( with the Visa Logo on ) is this ok to register for my cruise .
B

You should do some research at how dangerous debit cards are. They have no protection of fraud, etc. like real credit cards do. Clark Howard calls them fake credit cards. Not to mention, putting that big of a puchace on a real cc would give you some good points or cash back. Just my 2cents.

Are you talking about paying for cruise or using it as your onboard credit card? There's not a problem with using it to pay for your cruise, but you also to check because typically cruise lines have suggested not using Debit Cards as payment for putting as payment for your OBA. When you use a credit card, a preauthorization is credited (typically $300) and is put against your credit line, but no actual money is involved. However, when you use a debit card, and they run the same preauthorization, but the hold is against your money in your checking account and not a credit line. So, the funds against the preauthorization are blocked from you using until the account is settled. And, according to most hotels and cruise lines, they recommend you not using the debit card because when they release the preauthorization, the banks don't immediately make those remaining funds available to your account. It can take up to 6-10 days. I know this may sound confusing, but I would highly recommend asking some questions. I use my debit card to pay for tickets and the actual cruise, but I never use it at hotels for room charging or on cruises for on board credits.

You should do some research at how dangerous debit cards are. They have no protection of fraud, etc. like real credit cards do. Clark Howard calls them fake credit cards. Not to mention, putting that big of a puchace on a real cc would give you some good points or cash back. Just my 2cents.

While that is a Budget Board topic - I agree with you.

I am not sure if Disney Cruise Line has a different protocol than Disney World, but we always use our Disney Visa Debit card and when I check in, there is NEVER an amount put on "hold" on my account. It is handled exactly as if it were a credit card. My charges throughout our vacation are added up when we check out and it is all charged to my debit card all at once on check out day, NEVER an initial amount placed on hold in the beginning and taken out of my account. I hope this makes sense, LOL!

I put good old fashioned cash on mine. didnt have a problem. Dont like credit cards either. I have 1 for emergancies.

I can't speak to how DCL applies them, but if you are renting a car or staying in a hotel, they will put a hold on a pretty good chunk of change. This isn't an issue, however, if you have plenty of extra money in your checking account and having hundreds of dollars tied up for 6-10 days won't be a problem for you.

just out of interest how do you pay cash ?

DCL requires you to put a minimum amount of cash onto your shipboard account - the amount varies by length, I think it's $200 for a 3 night cruise. When you check in at the port the agent will either take your cash deposit there or tell you to go to guest services onboard to apply cash to your account.

Even if you put down a credit card for a deposit you can still go at any time and pay to cover your shipboard charges.

No WDW or DCL reservation of mine has ever had a "hold" of any kind put on it. I used my debit card for my on board account without issue. When the amount charged reaches about $300-$400 they charge the card, then start over (if that makes sense). I have never had issue using my debit card (which I actually get cash back on so it's nice in that way).

You should do some research at how dangerous debit cards are. They have no protection of fraud, etc. like real credit cards do. ....

This is simply not true. The banks who issue these credit cards perpetuate this myth, but the Visa cardholder agreement is EXACTLY the same. You are not liable for fraudulent charges with a Visa logo debit card.

This is simply not true. The banks who issue these credit cards perpetuate this myth, but the Visa cardholder agreement is EXACTLY the same. You are not liable for fraudulent charges with a Visa logo debit card.

If there are fraudulent charges on your debit card - the money is GONE from your checking account, and it may take awhile for you to recoup it. If there are fraudulent charges on a credit card - you don't pay them.

While I am not a huge fan of credit cards because most people do not know how to use them correctly (I deal every day at work with people who've run up incredible amounts of debt and don't realize how it all works -- when are we going to start convincing our schools to invite banks and other financial companies in to do FREE seminars for the high school kids as many parents are not able to teach good credit sense as they're in debt themselves??? -- okay, kicking my soap box away), I do believe everyone should have 1 credit card, whether strictly for emergencies or to use and pay off at the end of each month to get those rewards.

My husband and I each have a Disney Visa account and we very strictly monitor our spending and pay our bills each month on time and in full, solely to get those Rewards points. Every year we have at least $800-$1000 in Rewards points that we use for our onboard expenses, excursions, etc. It's free money, you bet I'm going to take advantage of it. I'm frugal by nature and this works well with that mindset!

You should do some research at how dangerous debit cards are. They have no protection of fraud, etc. like real credit cards do. Clark Howard calls them fake credit cards.

First off, Buzz, the banks that issue the credit cards are the same ones that issue the debit cards, so I'm not sure who you think is perpetuating a myth.

Secondly, Visa (and the other credit cards) can change their cardholder agreement at any time they wish.

Thirdly, what protects credit card users are federal banking laws, not some cardholder agreement. Debit cards simply do not have the same level of protection under the law. Your maximum liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your credit card is $50. If a credit card is lost or stolen, the card issuer cannot hold the user liable for more than this amount.

With debit cards, your maximum liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report the loss within two business days, your maximum liability is $50. If you wait to report the loss until after two days, your maximum liability is $500. And after 60 days, you risk unlimited loss, meaning you could lose all the money in your bank account and the entire line of credit established for overdrafts, which could be thousands of dollars.

See the Federal Trade Commission website for more details.

Personally, I would never use a debit card. I use a credit card, and am responsible enough to pay it off every month.

First off, Buzz, the banks that issue the credit cards are the same ones that issue the debit cards, so I'm not sure who you think is perpetuating a myth.

Secondly, Visa (and the other credit cards) can change their cardholder agreement at any time they wish.

Thirdly, what protects credit card users are federal banking laws, not some cardholder agreement. Debit cards simply do not have the same level of protection under the law. Your maximum liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your credit card is $50. If a credit card is lost or stolen, the card issuer cannot hold the user liable for more than this amount.

With debit cards, your maximum liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report the loss within two business days, your maximum liability is $50. If you wait to report the loss until after two days, your maximum liability is $500. And after 60 days, you risk unlimited loss, meaning you could lose all the money in your bank account and the entire line of credit established for overdrafts, which could be thousands of dollars.

See the Federal Trade Commission website for more details.

Personally, I would never use a debit card. I use a credit card, and am responsible enough to pay it off every month.

You beat me to it. I was about to cut and paste this same info.:thumbsup2

While I am not a huge fan of credit cards because most people do not know how to use them correctly (I deal every day at work with people who've run up incredible amounts of debt and don't realize how it all works -- when are we going to start convincing our schools to invite banks and other financial companies in to do FREE seminars for the high school kids as many parents are not able to teach good credit sense as they're in debt themselves??? -- okay, kicking my soap box away), I do believe everyone should have 1 credit card, whether strictly for emergencies or to use and pay off at the end of each month to get those rewards.

My husband and I each have a Disney Visa account and we very strictly monitor our spending and pay our bills each month on time and in full, solely to get those Rewards points. Every year we have at least $800-$1000 in Rewards points that we use for our onboard expenses, excursions, etc. It's free money, you bet I'm going to take advantage of it. I'm frugal by nature and this works well with that mindset!

I totally agree with you. Many people really don't know how to use them or understand the terms for each card. My Dh and I use them all the time and always pay them off at the end of the month. Debit cards are just not the best.

I first hand know what a pain it is to get your money back from a stolen debit card (stolen at theme park, was only 18 years old so no credit card yet). It was a complete pain. Had to fill out a form for each transaction that was made after it was stolen and took a good month to two to get my money back.

OP's question was answered and thread is starting to get off track so I am closing it.

Feel free to start up the discussion of credit cards v debit cards on the budget board or the community board.

Thanks.

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter