No cell phone trip.

Joe Brig

Mouseketeer
I'm considering going to Disney for a week with my teen son and leaving our cell phones at home. I might pick up a couple of flip phones without data. I think taking a break from the internet and cell phones is a good idea. Without the Disney app it will be more difficult to make fast pass and other reservations, but there should be ways around that. Does anyone else do this?

We rely pretty heavily on the app during our trips to make FP, ADRs, check wait times, look at the radar for weather issues. I would have a hard time letting it go. Also it’s nice to have in case we get separated. Maybe just take off the social media apps for your trip so you can enjoy your time together??

I love that idea, but not sure it's possible to do effectively at WDW, unfortunately. Honestly, it frustrates me, too, because I like to use my phone as little as possible in general, but especially while on vacation. I can't do it on a Disney vacation, however. The app and the weather forecast are too important. It's also my camera.

But there are things you can do - remove whatever apps would be distracting, turn off all notifications, even visual ones (the little red circle on iPhones). Put the phones away when you're in the hotel room. Make an agreement that you won't play around on phones in lines, etc - only use them, not play on them. Maybe leave them behind sometimes when you head to the pool, Disney Springs, a TS dining reservation. I think there are creative ways to limit phone use without having to limit the usefulness of your phone.

Don't forget mobile ordering!

Sorry we're not being helpful in coming up with ways to be phone free. They have put so much on the app now that, like you said, there's so much you need a phone to do.

For instance, what if you're there and a ride you have a fast pass for goes down, or something less than magical happened and a CM is helping you with it... And you are given an Anytime Fastpass. There may be restrictions on which rides you can/can't use the Anytime Fastpass on, and you won't be able to look them up. In our case we once got Anytime FPs and didn't even know it until I happened to open the app and see it!

Alternate idea: do you have a tablet that can get on wifi? You could take any apps off and only use it for the Disney app... Plus you're on even terms so it's not like you brought your phone but he wand t allowed to.

Why do you need to be cell phone free? Here is a how to get the benefits without losing out.

- Turn on airplane mode
- Turn mobile data/wifi back on (this removes text and phone calls)
- Turn off all notifications for all apps (or at least primary ones like email)

This allows you to continue to use the Disney app while avoiding what I think you want to avoid.

I’d be lost to be honest, but more power to you if you do it! Have fun!

Thanks everyone, I've tried limiting the apps and social media while on vacation, but the temptation is still there and that makes some teens extra moody.

I'm now convinced. We are leaving our phones at home. There will be surprise storms, old fashion planning, a paper map, no news or political updates. Sounds great! My goal is to get away from it all and if things aren't planned perfectly thats fine.

I love this idea and I wish it worked for us but the app is too valuable once in the park. We like to change around FP’s as well as dining times. It’s doable without the app but it’s a lot more walking/leg work and that’s unfortunate. Now we just turn notifications off and don’t open any apps except for the MDE, but yeah, I hate feeling like I’m attached to my phone checking wait times and such, which I essentially am.

I'm considering going to Disney for a week with my teen son and leaving our cell phones at home.
I've tried limiting the apps and social media while on vacation, but the temptation is still there and that makes some teens extra moody.

My solution would be that the adult carries the tool-to-make-the-trip-better, and the teen leaves his phone.

You’re *going to* have a moody teen. I was moody starting at my 11th bday in 1980 lol. Heck, read catcher in the rye. Lol. And having no phone isn’t going to make him less moody than a restricted phone. So one of you might as well use the better-trip tool!

no news or political updates. Sounds great! My goal is to get away from it all and if things aren't planned perfectly thats fine.

Best bring earplugs to avoid conversation around you in lines, and don’t think about turning the TV on in the evening.

My solution would be that the adult carries the tool-to-make-the-trip-better, and the teen leaves his phone.

I do not have a teen, but I love this idea.

Thanks everyone, I've tried limiting the apps and social media while on vacation, but the temptation is still there and that makes some teens extra moody.

I'm now convinced. We are leaving our phones at home. There will be surprise storms, old fashion planning, a paper map, no news or political updates. Sounds great! My goal is to get away from it all and if things aren't planned perfectly thats fine.

Hey, I say more power to you. I actually kind of love your entire idea and attitude about this. I hope you and your son have an amazing trip and are really able to bond without the distractions!

(p.s. Have you read the book Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport? It's excellent and talks a lot about cutting down on device usage. I got a lot out of it, personally.)

I get what you’re trying to do, but you will regret it. We’ve evolved into a technology dependent society. It’s noble to think otherwise, but it’s just how it is. Disney vacations thrive with tech.

OP, I think your idea is smart. I don't know how many times I've noticed people missing out on their surroundings because they are so absorbed in their phone. You will have a better chance to enjoy the moments and the atmosphere and really be present. I don't have a smartphone, so all my trips have been without one. I book dining and FPs before the trip. If any last-minute changes need to be made, I go to the FP kiosks, or guest relations, or a hotel concierge.

I think you will regret it. Just the two of you? You can fast pass your entire day and never wait on line using the app with only the two of you.

Also booking restaurants while there with the app.

My advice would be keep the phone for fastpasses and just keep it in the pocket after booked. ( although I do admit my head is staring at the phone on every que trying to get my next fast pass for 30 mins later, but hey it’s Better than waiting on line for 2 hours or more. )

I love the idea! I wonder about using an iPod touch on wifi? That way it's a totally separate device, maybe that separation helps to not be tempted to install social media apps. You can leave your actual phones at home, but still be able to use MDE and a weather app? Maybe not the solution, but just throwing it out there.

But also, I love the idea of using no technology. Sounds like a challenge, but sounds kind of fun honestly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter