Nikon D3000 and dark pictures....HELP!!!

paysensmom

DIS Veteran
My husband gave me this camera for Christmas. I am still trying to get a good picture with it :sick:

My son's panasonic lumix DMC-FH20 takes MUCH better pictures :sad2:

I can have the living room light on and the flash pops up and yet there still seems to be a shadow in the middle of the picture. So, usually on the face of whom I am shooting. I am ready to throw it in the closet and buy a Lumix. Please help me... Thanks so much

Are you using a telephoto lens of some sort? It sounds like the light from the pop up flash is being blocked by the lens which is not an uncommon problem if the lens is a larger one. Most pop up flashes don't get the height necessary to flash over a long lens and get some light blocked. Using a smaller (shorter) lens or an attached flash is the usual solution if that is the problem.

Can you post an example and tell us what lens you are using? How are your daytime outside pics? Is this problem only with lowlight indoor pictures? I'm making a big assumption that this is your first SLR, digital or film. Is that correct?

I actually had a canon rebel a few years ago, but it was dropped and broken by one of my kiddos....

I didn't have any problems with that one. But, I mostly used auto, which is also what I am using on this one. I am not sure how to post a picture on here. If you tell me how I will post one! I have to run to go feed the baby right now though. She is two weeks old :)

I am using the lense that came with the camera.

Assuming that's the 18-55mm are you zooming in with that lens? That would extend the front lens and might be blocking the flash. Something to try and see if that is the problem is to shoot a picture using the flash with the lens at it's widest (18mm). Then shoot a picture using the flash with the lens zoomed as much as it will go and see if there's a difference in the dark spot.

Also if you are using a lens hood, remove that because it also could be blocking the light. For posting you will need a third party host sight like Flickr, Photobucket, Smugmug, etc. I pay for the Flickr Pro version, but they have a limited free version. I'm on the wrong computer right now, but I will post a picture where the lens/hood blocks the flash and you can compare.

This is not an extreme case, but at the bottom you will see a shadow that is the lens hood.

IMGP4735 by Gianna'sPapa, on Flickr

If it does not look like that, then it could be your camera metering in the conditions you are shooting. The camera is metering for the light in the room and leaves the subject dark. I'm not sure of the metering options on your camera, but on mine I have three options, multi, center-weighted and spot metering maybe the Nikon shooters can jump in and advise. How are your outside, daytime shots?

This is an interesting thread, especially since i have a D3100 with the same lens as the OP. Are there any other techniques to avoid the infamous shadow?

Outside day time pictures are fine. I will get my manual out to look into the metering. Maybe that is the problem. :confused3

It sounds extremely likely that either a lens hood is attached, or the lens is extended, and a pop up flash being used just doesn't clear it all the way. Solutions are not zooming the lens, not using a lens hood, and the biggest of all, using an external hot shoe flash which extends much farther above the lens. I don't expect metering to be an issue.

Try these directions for posting:

1. Register on a site like Photobucket or Flickr.

2. Click on the upload photos button and follow the instructions to upload (transfer your photos) to the site.

3. Once you have uploaded your photos to your chosen host site they will be stored there with codes below them.

4. Now go to the DIS board where you want to post your message with a photo in it. Create the message.

5. Notice all those little symbols above the space where you write the message. Drag your mouse across those symbols. One of them is the “Insert Image” tool. It looks like a square with a mountain in it. Click on this symbol.

6.. A new small screen will come up that asks for a URL.

7. Paste the location (URL) of your image from Photobucket or Flickr right over the space indicated and click on the Ok button.

8. Click on Preview for your message and you should see your picture in the message.

The hardest part is choosing which form (code) of picture in the choices to copy into the URL.

Once you figure it out, it becomes super easy! Believe me!

I do not have a photo hood or anything added to the camera. I am not zooming in, as I am pretty close to my subject. Still dark. I am going to add several photos for you all to analyze for me!!

DSC_0581.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

This one shows that it does indeed happen outside as well...

DSC_0472.jpg

The indoor shots with the flash are going to have a different explanation from the outdoor photo. It almost looks to me like the flash is pointed down a little or something. Is it opening fully when it pops up?

The EXIF data shows the flash firing on the indoor ones, but it almost looks like it didn't.

On the outdoor photo, the flash did not fire. Any time you photography someone in the shade against a bright background you will need a flash, or you will need to expose for the subject and take a chance on blowing out the background. There was a thread on this just recently:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2709200

Actually I just checked the EXIF on the rest of them. The flash fired on the first 2, but not the second 2.

Do you have any recollection of whether the flash popped up on these but just didn't work?

Still, even on the shots where it fired, it did a poor job illuminating your subject. I'll be curious to see what others think.

I am just clueless to all of this. How can you tell that the flash didn't fire? I really can't tell you if the flash popped on the two you said didn't work. But, I am thinking that MOST of the time inside, the flash pops up but I get a horrible photo, like the ones I posted. I am ready to put the camera on craigslist and buy a cheapo lumix. I just want quality pictures. I am hoping you all can help me. This camera seems like it gets good reviews on Amazon. Did I get a dud or am I just a horrible picture taker?? :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter