Nike stock closes at all time high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickybobby

Please bring back Tapestry of Nations
So Nike stock was at its highest level ever today, and is being touted by many as a sign that the Kaepernick decision as the face of Nike is not the mistake that some prognosticators have been thinking.
My personal belief is, give it time.
Sure, sales are up due to those that like the decision going out and purchasing gear, but they can't continue to keep propping it up. In time, the stock will begin to go the way of ESPN.

I haven't been following the situation, but you know half the prognosticators on anything are likely to be wrong. (where did ESPN go?)

Only time will tell. Perhaps you should revisit this thread in a year and see how the stock performs compared to the rest of the market.

So Nike stock was at its highest level ever today, and is being touted by many as a sign that the Kaepernick decision as the face of Nike is not the mistake that some prognosticators have been thinking.
Sure, sales are up due to those that like the decision going out and purchasing gear, but they can't continue to keep propping it up. In time, the stock will begin to go the way of ESPN.

My personal belief is I don't shop based on what public figures do or don't do. I could never keep up with what 'they' say I should boycott.

It's back to school season. Lots of people are buying new shoes and school teams often have uniform deals with brands like nike.

I think I may have bought a pair or 2 of Nike's in the last 6 weeks. But don't know for sure as my 2 kids picked them out and again, if they fit and the price is right, I'll buy them.

And I just bought $150 in Nike travel soccer uniforms for our daughter as that's who her club contracted with.

Also found this... https://money.usnews.com/investing/investing-101/slideshows/8-back-to-school-stocks-to-buy-now

Last edited:
Nike isn't going anywhere. They probably make more money selling air jordans than everything under armor sells and the people that buy air Jordan's aren't going to drop because of the Kaepernick deal. Nike is so entrenched in so many different niche markets, did you know nike is the biggest skateboard shoe brand with most of the best skateboarders in the world on the their team?

It's worked out well for Penzy's to be outspoken Pretty sure it won't hurt Nike either. But, sell me your stock at what you think it's worth (which is apparently less than what the market thinks its worth). I'll take it off your hands.

To those putting down Nike & thinking there will be a demise in the future have you SEEN the full 2 min new ad? It's FANTASTIC. :woohoo: Very inspiring. :yay: There is not a single actor in the ad. Everyone in it are REAL athletes who accomplished much. Even the one that lost 120 lbs, to win the Iron Man, after beating a brain tumor. And there is a lot of diversity in the ad. :thumbsup2 And athletes coming from all walks of life& situations.

Nike's new ad campaign & direction isn't targeting old fogies in an old establishment. Nike is targeting the millennials & Gen Z-ers. They are targeting the future.

Well the shoe burners should buy all the Nike stock they can afford and then sell it to people that still wear Nike gear at 1/100 price. That will knock Nike stock down a peg. Oh and instead of burning their Nikes how bout they donate them to the needy like say to homeless vets for example.

Last edited:

I would love to never hear the name “Nike” again. Not because of the ad, because of the constant back and forth about it. It’s ridiculous.

I buy a shoe because I like the shoe and it is comfortable. I bought my kids shoes because they liked them and they fit. I have never once bought a shoe because of whose face is or isn’t in their ad.

All of us wear Nike shoes and will continue to do so. All three of my kids prefer Under Armour for work out clothes, shorts, etc. I don’t see either changing.

And don’t even get me started about those posting on fb that they are burning their shoes. Beyond dumb.

I haven't really figured out what Nike did (I don't follow the whole situation much but have seen ad nauseum rages on my Facebook feed from the usual suspects). Like another poster, I don't really boycott companies because of their beliefs unless they are killing people or something like that. I mean, I don't agree with Chick-Fil-A's values but I'm not giving up my chicken sandwich or telling my family members to quit working there.

However, if a company does something that really stands out as socially responsible, I might take another look at their product and choose it over another one. I'll have to go study the Nike issue and see if I want to switch from Asics to Nike!

Stock price does not necessarily mean increased sales. The true test of a company is sales figures. When they release those in a few months we will know if the ad was effective or not and stock prices will follow accordingly.

I think you are experiencing wishful thinking. A small backlash from a few grunty wheels isn't going to bring down a large company like Nike. The good thing about the masses with pitchforks is that they are easily distracted and move onto the next shiny thing quickly.

Meanwhile, I would likely have not paid much attention to their ad, but because such a stink was made, have seen it a million times through people posting it on social media, news sites, etc. Free marketing for the company they are angry at.

We aren't just purchasing gear. Many of us are purchasing stock as well. :hippie:

Nike is on the right side of history.

Kaepernick isn't good enough to make an NFL team (if he was, someone would have picked him up) so he has to make money somewhere.

As much as Nike using CK in their ads doesn't bother me at all, the reality is that Nike couldn't care less what side of history they are on. They care what their bottom line is, and wow, are they good at caring about that.

They weren't targeting supporters of CK and others. They knew that featuring him would cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth by those who hate him and, as the PP said, give them more advertising than they could dream of. There will always be people who react to stories with emotion and not logic. Nike capitalized on that quite effectively.

Kaepernick isn't good enough to make an NFL team (if he was, someone would have picked him up) so he has to make money somewhere.
If it makes you feel better to think that, then so be it.

If he wasn't good enough,he would have never been on a field or in uniform.

If you're still wondering why players kneel, take a look at the case Dallas. The idiot cop shot and killed an unarmed black man when she "mistakenly" entered his apartment.p

I’m a big fan of Nike products, I don’t value their opinion on anything unrelated to making good gear (which in my opinion is quite good if you go with their mid to high end stuff) I’ll continue to buy Nike products and ignore whatever political stances they take......This is coming from somebody that is still disgusted Tamir Rice will never get justice and hopes the family of the man shot in HIS apartment in Dallas does get justice

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better to think that, then so be it.

If he wasn't good enough,he would have never been on a field or in uniform.

If you're still wondering why players kneel, take a look at the case Dallas. The idiot cop shot and killed an unarmed black man when she "mistakenly" entered his apartment.p
He was good, then he wasn't -it happens all the time.
I haven't said anything about kneeling.

I buy a shoe because I like the shoe and it is comfortable. I bought my kids shoes because they liked them and they fit. I have never once bought a shoe because of whose face is or isn’t in their ad.

Same here. I have a pair of Nike sneakers right now - because I went outlet shopping, and they were comfortable and I liked the way they looked. I hadn't seen the ad yet at the time.

(In fact, knowing about the controversy might have stressed me out when I was shopping, as I think that particular issue is really complicated, and I don't generally use my clothes to advertise anything but where I went on vacation. :earsgirl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter