Next question: Monsieur Paul or Chefs de France?

MammaMoe48

DIS Veteran
I know that MP is signature so the prices are higher than CDF but the menu choices seem to be similar (escargots, steaks, pomme frites) so is it worth the extra cost to eat at MP or will I get a similarly good meal at CDF for less money? I don't mind paying more for a better meal but if there is really no difference, I'd rather spend the extra money elsewhere. Thanks.

Chefs was very crowded and fairly loud. I didn't think the food quality at either was exceptional (though certainly far better than quick service). If I had to choose between the two, it would be Monsieur Paul, but I'm not enthused about either.

Chef's is a loud & busy cafe with a lot of people coming & going. I really enjoy the food & atmosphere there, it reminds me a bit of some of the cafes DH & I have eaten at over several trips to France. MP's is much more sedate & quiet-less hustle & bustle & a bit more high end. I enjoyed the food & atmosphere here as well-it's a bit more refined & very nicely decorated. If I had to pick one though I would pick Chef's-I just have a soft spot for it I guess:) Enjoy your planning!

MP's food and service are far and above better than Chefs. The food is exceptionally well prepared and the serving staff are highly trained.

The food at Chefs is incredibly salty. We ate there over Christmas week and my DH couldn't even eat the soup he had ordered because it was so salty.

I would definitely pick MP.

OK, so the food at MP is better but it would cost me about $50-$60 more to eat at MP so is the food worth the higher price? I have absolutely no problem paying more money for a significantly better meal but that's a lot of money if the quality or taste isn't much better.

EDIT: I sort of already said this in my original post but as you know, you can't delete a post. That said, I still would like to know if it's worth the quite a bit more money to go to MP instead of CDF?

I always enjoy my meals at Chefs de France. If you can get a table in the back by the windows, that's ideal. (Note: Characters, Photopass Photographers & other CM's go in & out of the Cast Member Only spot right there.) One of my most memorable moments was watching Aurora twirl her way back to the CM Only Area as we ate lunch.

For most of my trips, it's a must do. I always get the steak & it hasn't disappointed yet.

I considered eating at Monsieur Paul for the first time on my solo trip, but I couldn't justify the price. I ate at Chefs de France & got my usual seat in the back by the windows. Perfect for people watching. :thumbsup2

I love both. My trip I just got back from we went to Monsieur Paul for the first time and loved it! The food was amazing and definitely worth the cost. I've always enjoyed Chefs de France so you really can't go wrong with either. If you are wanting an upscale fancy dinner I'd go with Monsieur Paul and if you want a laid back casual meal go with Chefs de France

I liked my salad nicoise at CDF, but the entrees my son and husband got were not good; DH left half of his chicken untouched. It was a shame because we liked the atmosphere.

I'd say that food quality is better at MP. Wrt atmosphere, depends what you like... MP is nice and quite, smaller. CDF is larger, noisier, but feels more like something you might experience in Paris.

As a side issue... if you're ever around during F&W, the dining event that we attended at MP last year was excellent!

I haven't eaten at CDF for a good while without regretting it - that may be circumstance though. I think the food I've had lately is lousy (maybe off days/meals as my most recent visits have involved last minute ADRs due to someone being hangry) and now when I consider it, the menu looks pretty pedestrian to me, but then I see nice pics. :confused3 The food at MP has always been worth the cost. Anyhow, my view of CDF just may be clouded - so full disclosure.

However, I have an issue with loud, chaotic dining. The parks are that, so I like dining to be a bit of a respite, which means MP wins for me by a mile. The environment puts me off. Some people like the hustle and bustle, and that's why WDW so many different dining experiences. It probably just depends on what you like. I have had some very good meals at MP and its never been a poor experience.

FWIW, MP is the most disappointing dining experience I have had at Disney. The ambiance is nice, but the food was below average and the prices are high. I haven't tried Chefs of France, but don't plan on ever trying MP again

I love MP. Been there multiple times and it is a true dining experience. Keep in mind that you must like more realistic French food. Personally, their duck is hard to beat.

MP was AMAZING! loved the atmosphere, the waiting staff and the food! so..much...food! I had Beef Burgangnon (Spelling, I know) in a small cast iron pot and it was THE BEST I EVER HAD! you sit at tables with other people and you can really meet some nice people. It is TOTALLY worth the money!

OK, so the food at MP is better but it would cost me about $50-$60 more to eat at MP so is the food worth the higher price? I have absolutely no problem paying more money for a significantly better meal but that's a lot of money if the quality or taste isn't much better.

EDIT: I sort of already said this in my original post but as you know, you can't delete a post. That said, I still would like to know if it's worth the quite a bit more money to go to MP instead of CDF?

Our experience:

MP is a calm, quiet and upscale environment. The service is excellent, professional and unobtrusive. The entrees are very good, and the desserts are mouthwateringly delicious.

CDF is loud and chaotic, with tables placed so closely together that no conversation is private. Service is hit-or-miss. Entrees are mediocre. Desserts range from blech to pretty good. A better option for dessert usually is the nearby bakery.

For us, there is no comparison between the two in terms of quality in service and food. Of course, as with all things Disney, your mileage may vary.

One final point: a previous poster indicated that diners are seated at the same table with strangers at MP. This was not our experience at all, and the restaurant did not appear to be designed for that.

enjoyed CDF, especially the chicken- I requested the recipe I loved it so much. Also were at the back windows, and enjoyed watching the characters stay in character as they walked to their breaks or off duty. Want to try MP, have heard good things. Didnt find CDF overly loud, at least where we sat, and it was early lunch.

I was very surprise that I did not like Monsieur Paul as much as I was expecting. I knew that many people billed it one of those hidden gems in WDW.

The food was fine, but it arrived way too quick after we order...which makes you wondero_O They didn't take the TIW card which was disappointing, but that wouldn't change my opinion of the restaurant, it just cost me an extra $50 :(

Our server was somebody with whom you'd expect to be working at the rainforest cafe; just a kid. He rushed us throughout the entire meal. A lot of things were done that shouldn't have been done at any restaurant, let alone an upscale restaurant. Things such as taking my plate away and delivering the desert menu while my wife was still eating. Dropping off the bill while we were both still eating dessert.

Within 40 minutes of arriving we had the bill at the table, with a server hovering over us.

It was probably just one bad experience, but it does shows how much a server can make or break one's impression of a restaurant. It is often hard to be willing to give it another chance when that restaurant is as expensive as MP. But I expect your experience of Monsieur Paul will be much more consistent with those who had more positive experiences.

Chefs de France has always been good. :) I don't mind chaos if it is organized chaos!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter