News Round Up 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some random tidbits:
1) We’re currently in South Africa on vacation and my husband especially has been impressed with the accuracy of Animal Kingdom’s representation of things, including Kidani lodge. Nomad Lounge will have even more love from me, as we’ve been on more than one balcony that closely resembles the vibe there. Obviously the real thing is best, but it’s nice to know how close Disney gets.

2) Every South African with whom we’ve discussed Lion King is incredibly excited for the live action remake and can not wait for it to come out. They say the trailers look spectacular and will take their families to it for sure.

3) We ran into a British couple here who will be in Anaheim in two weekends for a work conference. They’re roughly in their early 30s, and are not Disney people at all, but planned to go to Disneyland while there. I warned them about traffic and also about the crowds, given Galaxy’s Edge opening. They had no idea what I was talking about but as I explained they couldn’t believe that there was a Star Wars Land opening. Apparently they’re MAJOR Star Wars fans, the husband having attempted to build his own R2 unit a few years back. They had NO IDEA these lands were being built. They’re now desperately trying to get a hotel room onsite to secure a reservation. I just thought it was interesting that these fairly major Star Wars fans, who are not Disney fans, were clueless about the lands but are now determined to go not just to Anaheim but to Orlando too, especially when I told them about the upcoming hotel. They already expressed that they “need” to get the lightsabers and many other merchandise items.

Anyways, not really news, just anecdotal Disney-related thoughts. Thought some of you might be interested!

Just some random tidbits:
1) We’re currently in South Africa on vacation and my husband especially has been impressed with the accuracy of Animal Kingdom’s representation of things, including Kidani lodge. Nomad Lounge will have even more love from me, as we’ve been on more than one balcony that closely resembles the vibe there. Obviously the real thing is best, but it’s nice to know how close Disney gets.

2) Every South African with whom we’ve discussed Lion King is incredibly excited for the live action remake and can not wait for it to come out. They say the trailers look spectacular and will take their families to it for sure.

3) We ran into a British couple here who will be in Anaheim in two weekends for a work conference. They’re roughly in their early 30s, and are not Disney people at all, but planned to go to Disneyland while there. I warned them about traffic and also about the crowds, given Galaxy’s Edge opening. They had no idea what I was talking about but as I explained they couldn’t believe that there was a Star Wars Land opening. Apparently they’re MAJOR Star Wars fans, the husband having attempted to build his own R2 unit a few years back. They had NO IDEA these lands were being built. They’re now desperately trying to get a hotel room onsite to secure a reservation. I just thought it was interesting that these fairly major Star Wars fans, who are not Disney fans, were clueless about the lands but are now determined to go not just to Anaheim but to Orlando too, especially when I told them about the upcoming hotel. They already expressed that they “need” to get the lightsabers and many other merchandise items.

Anyways, not really news, just anecdotal Disney-related thoughts. Thought some of you might be interested!

Thanks for sharing ... and I think a good example of why the coverage for Galaxy's Edge at the last Star Wars Celebration/convension was so "basic" in that most Star Wars fans are not up to speed on anything Disney so aren't in the now. I too struggle to understand how they could not even be aware of it happeneing at all, but I don't think it is *that* uncommon

And so Onward might be original but they decided to re-use the Frozen title font. I like the simplicity of the graphic style though.

I agree - could they not come up with a more original font??? I mean how many free fonts are on dafont alone?

Also, the first part of the trailer reminded me of Zootopia - creatures all doing human things, just in the suburbs.

BUT I think and am hopeful that the story will be original and fun!

I agree - could they not come up with a more original font??? I mean how many free fonts are on dafont alone?

Also, the first part of the trailer reminded me of Zootopia - creatures all doing human things, just in the suburbs.

BUT I think and am hopeful that the story will be original and fun!

The biggest part was watching it and thinking "Holy Cow - how long have we been waiting for an original animated story from this company". It had some tropes that match other movies, but overall it at least felt like something new.

The biggest part was watching it and thinking "Holy Cow - how long have we been waiting for an original animated story from this company". It had some tropes that match other movies, but overall it at least felt like something new.
I would find it hard to believe there are any movies these days that don't have tropes that match other movies. But yeah, I definitely felt, watching what little there was, that this was a bit more derivative than I'd hoped, but obviously not a sequel. With so many trailers though, I doubt I got enough to form any kind of opinion. Not really fired up to see it, not disappointed either.

2.5 years at release since Coco. I prefer they take their time for the original stories so they keep producing compelling stories of a high caliber. But I agree the sequels are mostly pandering to fan base.

Any word on how long the line is to enter Disneyland in CA right now??? Guessing the reservations are keeping crowds somewhat controlled but just curious. Will check the other boards and see if anyone there is chatting about lines waiting for the gates to open!

Any word on how long the line is to enter Disneyland in CA right now??? Guessing the reservations are keeping crowds somewhat controlled but just curious. Will check the other boards and see if anyone there is chatting about lines waiting for the gates to open!
We walked from DLH (after a yummy Trader Sam's visit) through DTD and when we hit the esplanade (this was at 1am) we saw the line up had started.
View attachment 404784
Only picture I’ve seen of the line so far.

I would find it hard to believe there are any movies these days that don't have tropes that match other movies. But yeah, I definitely felt, watching what little there was, that this was a bit more derivative than I'd hoped, but obviously not a sequel. With so many trailers though, I doubt I got enough to form any kind of opinion. Not really fired up to see it, not disappointed either.

Voiced by Spider Man and Star Lord. That sold me :)

They are banned for good and it’s best to no longer mention them.

I will start this off with saying that I am not defending that site: I used to frequent it regularly, but for a variety of reasons, primarily the misleading writing style at times, the clickbait feel to some posts, and the obnoxious video that would pop up and take up the entire screen until you closed out of it on every . . . single . . . page, I stopped going to that site and started actively avoiding it when possible. I even stopped clicking on many of the link that were posted on this feed when I saw that as the source although sometimes it was necessary to click on some of the stories.

That being said, the "shut up and don't ask about it" approach to anything related to that site being banned feels weird and unbecoming of a site such as this that prides itself on exchanges of ideas, open and civil discussion, its effort to stay free of bias, and full transparency. At a minimum, a full explanation of what is going on and why would go a long way towards at least helping us understand why a WDW "news" website is completely banned from this site. This would also help us to understand how to better approach and understand "news" and rumors that come from that site when encountered elsewhere in the Disney online community.

It also should be mentioned that if a website's journalistic standards are subpar, if there are problems with its reporting, sources, etc., if it's stories are at times essentially clickbait, these forums are the perfect venue for discussing this and how to deal with such sites. I understand not wanting to promote such a site or increase its traffic by allowing links here, but discussion, at a minimum, of such tactics is important for all of us. Pretending it doesn't exist through censorship does not make the problem go away.

Furthermore, the fact remains that the site in question does get quite a bit of traffic and its stories/rumors/whatever end up seen by many within the Disney fan community. The unfortunate reality is that many do not understand whether to take such posts with a grain of salt (and I am not familiar enough to all these sites to know whose sources are most reliable and in what instances and often look here for takes on such stories to see whether they're full of crap). These stories can then create an uproar elsewhere in the Disney fan community by those that simply take these stories at face value, which spreads the rumors even further and more inaccurately. In some cases, depending on the nature of the "story" itself, this can actually affect people's behavior as it relates to Disney products and services, which then in turn affects all of us. There has to be a middle ground that allows us to discuss the veracity of stories and thus combat rumor-mongering at the same time without promoting the source in a way that encourages them to continue to act in such a manner because of the financial incentive to do so (heavy site traffic).

Finally, all this is based on only an assumption of why this site was banned. Without even a thorough explanation, one cannot help but wonder if it's for some other reason such as personal reasons/relationships/animosity. This is not meant in any way to be an accusatory statement, but in the absence of information, misinformation, bred through both curiosity and a lack of accurate information, cannot help but creep in. While not completely apropos, the saying "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" certainly comes to mind here.

Pixar (and Disney animation since the Pixar acquisition) pretty much only sticks to one plot structure; road-trip buddy comedy specifically modeled after the "road to" movies, which I think is why a lot of Pixar and Disney movies lately feel more derivative than they did back in the 90s. There are of course exceptions, like The Incredibles and Big Hero 6, but for the most part all of their movies are about an odd-couple who have to go on a journey somewhere and back together, which has gotten very boring for me. I still enjoy some of their recent movies, but I'm very hopeful that the new leadership at both Disney and Pixar will lead to a fresher take on storytelling, with different plot structures and story elements.

I will start this off with saying that I am not defending that site: I used to frequent it regularly, but for a variety of reasons, primarily the misleading writing style at times, the clickbait feel to some posts, and the obnoxious video that would pop up and take up the entire screen until you closed out of it on every . . . single . . . page, I stopped going to that site and started actively avoiding it when possible. I even stopped clicking on many of the link that were posted on this feed when I saw that as the source although sometimes it was necessary to click on some of the stories.

That being said, the "shut up and don't ask about it" approach to anything related to that site being banned feels weird and unbecoming of a site such as this that prides itself on exchanges of ideas, open and civil discussion, its effort to stay free of bias, and full transparency. At a minimum, a full explanation of what is going on and why would go a long way towards at least helping us understand why a WDW "news" website is completely banned from this site. This would also help us to understand how to better approach and understand "news" and rumors that come from that site when encountered elsewhere in the Disney online community.

It also should be mentioned that if a website's journalistic standards are subpar, if there are problems with its reporting, sources, etc., if it's stories are at times essentially clickbait, these forums are the perfect venue for discussing this and how to deal with such sites. I understand not wanting to promote such a site or increase its traffic by allowing links here, but discussion, at a minimum, of such tactics is important for all of us. Pretending it doesn't exist through censorship does not make the problem go away.

Furthermore, the fact remains that the site in question does get quite a bit of traffic and its stories/rumors/whatever end up seen by many within the Disney fan community. The unfortunate reality is that many do not understand whether to take such posts with a grain of salt (and I am not familiar enough to all these sites to know whose sources are most reliable and in what instances and often look here for takes on such stories to see whether they're full of crap). These stories can then create an uproar elsewhere in the Disney fan community by those that simply take these stories at face value, which spreads the rumors even further and more inaccurately. In some cases, depending on the nature of the "story" itself, this can actually affect people's behavior as it relates to Disney products and services, which then in turn affects all of us. There has to be a middle ground that allows us to discuss the veracity of stories and thus combat rumor-mongering at the same time without promoting the source in a way that encourages them to continue to act in such a manner because of the financial incentive to do so (heavy site traffic).

Finally, all this is based on only an assumption of why this site was banned. Without even a thorough explanation, one cannot help but wonder if it's for some other reason such as personal reasons/relationships/animosity. This is not meant in any way to be an accusatory statement, but in the absence of information, misinformation, bred through both curiosity and a lack of accurate information, cannot help but creep in. While not completely apropos, the saying "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" certainly comes to mind here.
If you have an issue with it you can contact the admin team. I will say your assumption is not completely correct.

This is not the first time a site has been banned here, and there have never been explanations given. I would not expect one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter