Newbie to cruising

Twingle

DIS Veteran
Is there a newbie thread, or a what to expect/where to begin area? My DH and I are just now looking into a Disney Cruise this fall, and I'm not sure where to begin.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, there is a FAQ sticky on top of this page. There is a lot of information there to begin and help you start the planning.

Feel free to ask on this forum as well. :goodvibes

I just started reading the disboards in December, before we went on our first Disney cruise Jan. 31. I read a ton of trip reports and a lot under the main forum. Then as I had questions, I searched for certain terms. This kept me busy many nights, and made me pretty prepared for our trip. Plus, it helped make the time fly while I was waiting to get on the boat. Good luck and definitely ask tons of questions. People have been so helpful on these boards.

Definitely join the cruise meet for your trip and think about participating in the Fish Extender exchange. We did this on our first cruise last November and it was one of the highlights of our trip! My kids loved receiving gifts each day.

These forums!! :thumbsup2

I typically search and if I come up empty handed I post a question and get TONS of responses...

We loved the magnet exchange, meeting people before we sailed etc....

cheers :goodvibes

Another great resource is the Passporter guide. Lots of very useful information that you can take with you in a convenient book format.

First decide what part of the world you want to see. Then narrow it further by deciding how long you want to cruise, 3, 4, 7 or more days. Next step, decide if you want to pack in as many ports as possible, or if you want more days at seas. Then read up on various ships. This forum is a great resource for Disney cruises, and Google is a great resource to link you to information on other ships and forums specific to other cruise lines.
Decide if you a casual experience , or a formal experience. The spectrum runs from HAL, (Holland America) which is a more formal cruise, to NCL Freestyle is probably one of the most informal. Disney can be very casual, for example if you prefer to eat only at the buffet..to middle of the road, with eating in the dining rooms with a little more formal experience ..to the very formal, if you want to eat at Palo.
Any special themes? Disney of course, offers the Disney experience. Other cruise lines do offer special cruises, usually limited to a specific week....themes like wine, gourmet food, NASCAR, art,music, gay, cigars, collectable cars, singles, polka and about every other kind of dance you can think of, murder mystery, film, any sport you can think of, and even cruises hosted by locally or nationally known celebrities. (google "theme cruises", you'll be shocked at the options)
And then, try and decide how much you want to spend. You literally can find 7 day cruises for $299 a person, all the way to $10,000 a person and more. Expect to pay less if you can travel in the off season, which generally is anytime kids are NOT on break from school, and more during peak times, with Easter week, Thanksgiving week, Christmas Week and New Years week being among the most expensive.
I would talk to your friends who have cruised, find out what they liked and didn't like and why, and also ask who they booked through. A good travel agent can be worth their weight in gold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter