New York Experts!

MickeyMickey

DIS Veteran
I have a day and a half in the city to sightsee before a conference. I will be staying at the Hyatt attached to Grand Central Station. Any suggestions on must sees for a first timer, with only a little time.

I was thinking of Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building. Any thoughts or suggestions? What about transportation? Are cabs the easiest/safest?

Thanks in advance :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Hi there,
Well, I'm hardly an expert but thought I would reply since no one else has!
My fiance and I have been to New York a few times over the past few years and have found the Grayline buses to be the best way to see a lot in a short period of time. They allow you to hop on and hop off at most popular spots so it's really helpful as far as transportation goes. We even sat on the top of the bus when it was 30 degrees outside during Christmas. Although it was cold I'd do it again in a heartbeat!!

Here's a link to their site...
http://www.grayline.com/franchise.cfm/action/details/id/22

I agree that the Grayline double decker bus is a great way to see the city and a good form of transportation. However you cannot rely on it for all of your transportation. The NYC subway system is safe and easy to navigate and probably your best bet. I have had visitors get into NYC city cabs after riding the Subway and ask for their next trip to just ride the Subways!

To see the Statue of Liberty, if you actually want to get inside...you need to be on the first boat over at 9AM.

To see the Empire State Building, keep in mind that it open until midnight, way past the time most other attractions have closed. NYC at night is SPECTACULAR.

If you are coming anytime during the holidays you must stroll down 5th Avenue to see the Department Store windows and the tree at Rockefeller Center.

What about a Broadway show?? You can always jump on the TKTS line in Times Square in the afternoon for a show that same evening at about half the price. Or, you can buy a ticket on-line before you come at full price, or sign-up at www.broadwaybox.com to receive discount codes.

To see what else there is to do and see and for special events in the city at the time you are visiting the most comprehensive website is www.nycvisit.com.

We always start in Times Square when in NYC. You will encounter many people w/ brochures for the hop on hop off double decker sightseeing busses. These are a great way to see alot in a short period of time. The Statue of Liberty is pretty time consuming, so be prepared to spend a big chunk of a day if you decide to see it. We've always had the most fun walking straight up 7th Ave. or Broadway from 34th St. all the way up to Central Park. We spend some time in the park then head all the way back down 5th Ave. You'll hit most of the touristy sites this way and a carriage ride in the park is a must do!! Have fun!

If you want to get into the Statue make sure you make an advance reservation from your hotel. Your concierge should be able to do that.

Double decker is the way to go if you want to go around the town.

If you're thinking of hitting the museums make sure you check museum open hours before you make your itinerary, some days they are closed.

Broadway shows are awesome. Check out the half tix booth across from the times square to get cheaper tickets. Wicked is REALLY awesome... :)

Anyways, have a blast!

I also say go with the bus and I would skip actually going over to the statue, as like others have said, super time consuming! I just loved getting off wherever sounded interesting to me, we did empire with no problem, I was surprised there weren't more people.

Also caught the tickertape parade after the Yankees won the series, best thing I have ever seen in my life. And I am no Yankees fan! Of course that isn't something always going on, I feel privledged to have seen such an awesome thing!

I think that just walking around Times Square at night is a very New York experience. There are so many people out and the lights and all are incredible. Just make sure that your valuables like your purse or wallet are tucked somewhere safe since it can get crowded there.

If you are there in December, then I would also go to Rockefeller Center to see the tree and the ice skating. And come down 5th Avenue to see the window displays too.

I haven't been but my sons went to Ground Zero and found it very moving. Radio City Music Hall, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral and if you're a Letterman fan, the Hello Deli. Grew up across the river from NYC and miss it so much. Have a great trip.

Hello!!! SHOPPING!! Walk around on 5th avenue between 46-60th so many beautiful shops. (TIFFANYS!!!!) Oh and get some brownies in Grand Central if Fat Witch is open still.(they moved to Gramercy park but I think they still have a little kiosk in there yummy) I agree with saving the Empire state building until night- stays open late and I just love the view at night. Ellis Island and the statue of Liberty are nice but that is a big time zapper with the ferry... If you are limited in time- I would stay midtown. Hitting the Met, shopping, the Empire state building and Rockefeller Center- Oh and if you are so inclined to go ice skating please please go to central park and skate on Wollman Rink- it is just beautiful at night- you overlook the plaze and the trees - the music- that to me is city magic.
http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/southend/wollmanrink
Have a great time. I live outside the city but am also spending a weekend in there in November- seeing a show and shopping! woohoo :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter