New Year's Eve

Would you rather spend NYE at Disney or Universal?

• Disney

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Universal

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
We were recently on a cruise and while it was lovely, I am left feeling that it wasn't as much fun for kiddo as in the past (he spent too much time on his phone, didn't make any friends, etc). So I had been thinking we'd be on a cruise for NYE but now am thinking Disney or Universal would be better. If you have been to both, which would you prefer?

When I cost things out, it's much cheaper to pick one and stick with it. Universal by itself is a lot less than Disney alone, but I can't see going there and not going to Disney for at least a few days. Thinking 4 days at Universal, 5 at Disney. Just not sure which one to plan for NYE. We haven't been to Universal and I know we need to go there :) But I'd also like to check out Guardians at Disney, and we do enjoy a lot of the parks.

Ok I am biased but I think you guys will love Universal Studios & Islands Of Adventure.
I think you mentioned your son has read a few of the Harry Potter books so this should be right up his alley.(Diagon Alley,,lol).🧹
The rides and themes seem to appeal to the pre teen/teen kids.
https://kidsareatrip.com/what-to-do-at-universal-orlando-with-teens/

I know my guys are looking forward to checking out Universal's Volcano Bay.
They plan on spending a couple of days there.
I plan on hitting a few restaurants & shops on the City Walk.
We are allowing a lot more time for the resort activities and pool this time around and also plan to visit Kennedy Space center.

I must admit I have never done U/O for New Years and don't know if anything special is planned?

Have a great time researching & planning.
Hugs
Mel

PS
This is last years New Years Eve Info
This years hasn't been issued yet.
https://orlandoinformer.com/universal/new-years-eve/

I have not been to Universal, but can give you some feedback about Disney.

First off, NYE is my absolute favourite day to be at Disney. It is amazing!
- if you like to do a lot of rides, NYE is not the time to go
- if you hate crowds, NYE is not the time to go
- if you love fireworks and love a party atmosphere, it is the absolute best place to be
- the best plan of attack is to go to MK first, then park hop to EPCOT later in the evening. MK does their incredible NYE fireworks 4 times (at least pre-pandemic they did). Once around 6:30 pm on the 30th, once just before midnight, then repeat on the 31st. Go to the early show at MK, then hop over to EPCOT for the midnight countdown fireworks. EPCOT only does NYE fireworks once (on the 31st, just before midnight). IMO, MK NYE fireworks are the best fireworks I have ever seen. Personally, I would do both MK shows on the 30th, the early show on the 31st, then the EPCOT midnight show on the 31st.
- be prepared for line-ups for EVERYTHING, including the bathroom
- you do not want to rely on quick service meals on NYE
- you DO NOT want to have to take a bus, the skyliner or drive your own car after the midnight fireworks end. Book a room at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club or Swan/Dolphin for the 31st, even if only for the one night. You will thank me for that one piece of advice. Guaranteed. You might also find you need a short cat-nap between 9-11 pm and it is so nice to just walk back to your hotel for a rest/snooze.
- if you take my advice above and watch both fireworks shows at MK on the 30th, strongly consider staying at a hotel within walking distance to MK for the same reasons as above. Obviously, Bay Lake Tower or Contemporary would be the best choices. You might not want to walk to the Grand Floridian after a long day.

- if you love fireworks and love a party atmosphere, it is the absolute best place to be
- the best plan of attack is to go to MK first, then park hop to EPCOT later in the evening. MK does their incredible NYE fireworks 4 times (at least pre-pandemic they did). Once around 6:30 pm on the 30th, once just before midnight, then repeat on the 31st. Go to the early show at MK, then hop over to EPCOT for the midnight countdown fireworks. EPCOT only does NYE fireworks once (on the 31st, just before midnight). IMO, MK NYE fireworks are the best fireworks I have ever seen. Personally, I would do both MK shows on the 30th, the early show on the 31st, then the EPCOT midnight show on the 31st.
- you DO NOT want to have to take a bus, the skyliner or drive your own car after the midnight fireworks end. Book a room at Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club or Swan/Dolphin for the 31st, even if only for the one night. You will thank me for that one piece of advice. Guaranteed. You might also find you need a short cat-nap between 9-11 pm and it is so nice to just walk back to your hotel for a rest/snooze.
- if you take my advice above and watch both fireworks shows at MK on the 30th, strongly consider staying at a hotel within walking distance to MK for the same reasons as above. Obviously, Bay Lake Tower or Contemporary would be the best choices. You might not want to walk to the Grand Floridian after a long day.
Wise advice. You’ve covered all the bases

This is spot on. All I can add is that December 2021 MK did the NYE fireworks twice, once Dec 30 and once Dec 31. Epcot only did Dec 31.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter