New Year's Eve fireworks at Magic Kingdom

pirate33

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
I am bracing myself to spend New Year's at WDW this year specifically to see the New Year's Eve fireworks. I just looked at the calendar, and they show fireworks on Dec. 30 and 31 as being scheduled for 6:30. That seems odd. Does anyone have any information about this? I hope I don't go to all this trouble just to discover it's the same show as always, unlike prior years.

In previous years they do a 6:30 viewing followed by a midnight viewing on the 30th and 31st. We are planning to do MK 30th and leave at 6:30 get a lot of sleep and do Epcot on 31st. However I haven’t seen anything official listed and have assumed they are waiting just in case Covid gets out control and they can say they never announced anything so didn’t cancel anything-no foul and anyone planning a New Year’s Eve event jumped early is alll. But if you see 6:30 fireworks that would make me happy!

wait I just read that and it sounds like you know more than me (first year here) Do you mean it’s usually a different New Year’s Eve fireworks on the 6:30? I understood that the fireworks at 630 were the same as the New Years Eve but just early to reduce crowds (and since they couldn’t possibly have space for everyone that wants to see it at that time) on that night.

wait I just read that and it sounds like you know more than me (first year here) Do you mean it’s usually a different New Year’s Eve fireworks on the 6:30? I understood that the fireworks at 630 were the same as the New Years Eve but just early to reduce crowds (and since they couldn’t possibly have space for everyone that wants to see it at that time) on that night.

I really don't know. I did some more Googling, which confirms what you are saying: first show at 6:30 and second at midnight. I'm a West Coaster and have never done this before. I've seen the videos and decided it's a bucket list item!

I did some more Googling, which confirms what you are saying: first show at 6:30 and second at midnight.

P.S. I should say it seems there is no official announcement for this year but this seems to have been the typical practice in years prior to 2020, the year from hell.

P.S. I should say it seems there is no official announcement for this year but this seems to have been the typical practice in years prior to 2020, the year from hell.
Yea I am real nervous about it. I would assume that if they actually announced something and then cancelled they would not only have mass anger but likely chargebacks etc. but, it also may be a real possibility nothing happens at all if we have another big wave, and nobody can blame Disney. Nervous over here.

We’ve been to WDW twice for New Year’s. We’ve always done MK in the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. The MK will have early fire works at 6:30, which are good, but it’s not the same as the fireworks at midnight. They usually do the countdown to midnight with 360 degree fireworks at midnight. I don’t recall them doing the 360 degree fireworks at 6:30.

We’ve been to WDW twice for New Year’s. We’ve always done MK in the 30th and Epcot on the 31st. The MK will have early fire works at 6:30, which are good, but it’s not the same as the fireworks at midnight. They usually do the countdown to midnight with 360 degree fireworks at midnight. I don’t recall them doing the 360 degree fireworks at 6:30.

Do you know if they do the 360 degree at midnight on the 30th as well? Was plannning to leave early and go to bed early, but i suppose we could just sleep in late on the 31.

Also, does anyone know if having a reservation guarantees entrance to the park, or can the park get full up and close even if you have a reservation? Am wondering about an early evening nap for the kids, if we need to worry about rentry.

We ran into the re-entry question on 10/1 because so many people booked out-of-park ADRs since in-park ran out quickly. Pretty much all of us on the boards who asked in advance got different answers from CMs lol (some said our reservations are good for the whole day and we’re part of the count so it’d only be parkhoppers left out and others saying no, if you leave you might not get back in). After all the confusion, I didn’t personally see any horror stories about anyone with a MK park pass leaving and not being let back in (they did have to shut down hopping to MK once Main Street filled to capacity for the fireworks). My guess is that NYE will be the same, with everyone asking in advance getting different answers. But since some people will leave after the 6:30 fireworks, I would think you’d be able to get back in then.

In recent years (other than 2020 obviously), they’ve run the “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks show at both 6:30pm and 11:50pm on 12/30 and 12/31.

The only difference is the 11:50pm show both nights also utilizes a fireworks launch point on an island in the middle of the 7 Seas Lagoon which effectively simulcasts the large fireworks shot from the main/usual behind the MK launch point (which makes this the “360 degree” show vs just a “180 degree” 6:30pm show). This is generally more of a benefit to those at the TTC and MK resorts than those inside the MK, depending on where you are.

Since at the moment they have Disney Enchantment on the calendar for the 6:30pm show both dates, I’ve been ‘assuming’ (key word) they intend to run Enchantment at 6:30pm and presumably Fantasy in the Sky will be announced for the 11:50pm show. Not sure I’ve seen that confirmed/announced though, that’s just my assumption.

Do you know if they do the 360 degree at midnight on the 30th as well? Was plannning to leave early and go to bed early, but i suppose we could just sleep in late on the 31.

Also, does anyone know if having a reservation guarantees entrance to the park, or can the park get full up and close even if you have a reservation? Am wondering about an early evening nap for the kids, if we need to worry about rentry.
Yes, the midnight fireworks has always been the full NYE fireworks, countdown to midnight, 360 degree fireworks and all. It’s spectacular. The whole night is the same experience you get on 12/31 (dance parties, entertainment, etc.), just less crowded (but still crowded). I think a park reservation would guarantee you admission. In today’s world of park reservations I don’t know how it might work if the MK reaches capacity. My concern has always been wondering whether we can get back in if we take a midday break and leave the park, which we like to do. However, I’m not sure the MK has ever reached capacity on 12/30. Also, if you are a resort guest and use Disney transportation I think you are (or at least used to be) pretty much guaranteed to get it.

The only difference is the 11:50pm show both nights also utilizes a fireworks launch point on an island in the middle of the 7 Seas Lagoon which effectively simulcasts the large fireworks shot from the main/usual behind the MK launch point (which makes this the “360 degree” show vs just a “180 degree” 6:30pm show). This is generally more of a benefit to those at the TTC and MK resorts than those inside the MK, depending on where you are.
Not exactly, at least in our experience. Yes, they run mirroring fireworks shows launched from two spots (7 Seas and the usual spot behind the castle) so you see the show whether you look toward the castle or the front of the park. The only thing different than what you describe is when it hits midnight on the countdown you are completely surrounded by huge fireworks from multiple launch points completely surrounding the park (this is the 360 degree I refer to), not just front and back. That’s the coolest part, having these huge fireworks going off all around you.

Not exactly, at least in our experience. Yes, they run mirroring fireworks shows launched from two spots (7 Seas and the usual spot behind the castle) so you see the show whether you look toward the castle or the front of the park. The only thing different than what you describe is when it hits midnight on the countdown you are completely surrounded by huge fireworks from multiple launch points completely surrounding the park (this is the 360 degree I refer to), not just front and back. That’s the coolest part, having these huge fireworks going off all around you.

I think we are saying the same thing, just describing it in words a little differently.

I think we are saying the same thing, just describing it in words a little differently.
Hey, it’s all good. Probably don’t need to belabor the point. However….

You are describing two launch points and saying that the “360 degree” aspect of those two launch points primarily benefits people viewing from outside the MK. In reality, the 360 degree FINALE includes probably ten launch points encircling the MK, and that provides a spectacular surround effect for those in the park. That multiple surround launch looks cool from outside the park, but it’s not nearly the same as being in the park.

So, if that’s what you were trying to say then we agree! I’m assuming you’ve been, as have we. Interesting how people appear to view things a little differently!

Hey, it’s all good. Probably don’t need to belabor the point. However….

You are describing two launch points and saying that the “360 degree” aspect of those two launch points primarily benefits people viewing from outside the MK. In reality, the 360 degree FINALE includes probably ten launch points encircling the MK, and that provides a spectacular surround effect for those in the park. That multiple surround launch looks cool from outside the park, but it’s not nearly the same as being in the park.

So, if that’s what you were trying to say then we agree! I’m assuming you’ve been, as have we. Interesting how people appear to view things a little differently!

Yes, have watched the 12/30 and 12/31 early and late MK shows for the last 5 or so years from all sorts of combinations of in park and the Poly beach. I don’t disagree with the way you are describing the perimeter finale portion of both the early and late shows.

Assuming there are fireworks at 11:30 on Dec 30,
I was planning on watching the 6:30 on Main Street then the 11:30 at California Grill with an ADR.
What would I be missing if I watch the 11:30 from California Grill (based on past showings)? Based on what I’m reading in this discussion, seems like California Grill would enable a better View of the 360 degrees at 11:30. Would you even be able to see the difference between 6:30 and 11:30 at MK or is it more of a full “sound”?

This is my first time over NYE and probably a once in a lifetime trip! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
Assuming there are fireworks at 11:30 on Dec 30,
I was planning on watching the 6:30 on Main Street then the 11:30 at California Grill with an ADR.
What would I be missing if I watch the 11:30 from California Grill (based on past showings)? This is my first time over NYE and probably a once in a lifetime trip!

FYI, historically the midnight fireworks show (Fantasy in the Sky) is at 11:50, not 11:30.

When it comes to California Grill on 12/30…it was either 2019 or 2018, but there was a thread around here where some folks reported that the restaurant did not stay open for viewing that late (restaurant closed at 10pm) and even those with late dining reservations were eventually ushered out prior to midnight. Might want to do a search and see if you can find it. I seem to recall that folks were none-to-pleased as they had assumed it would remain open for viewing. I don’t have personal experience with CG on that date, but maybe something to keep in mind/research.

The view from there, regardless of the early or late show, will be fabulous (IMHO).

Last edited:
FYI, historically the midnight fireworks show (Fantasy in the Sky) is at 11:50, not 11:30.

When it comes to California Grill on 12/30…it was either 2019 or 2018, but there was a thread around here where some folks reported that the restaurant did not stay open for viewing that late (restaurant closed at 10pm) and even those with late dining reservations were eventually ushered out prior to midnight. Might want to do a search and see if you can find it. I seem to recall that folks were none-to-pleased as they had assumed it would remain open for viewing. I don’t have personal experience with CG on that date, but maybe something to keep in mind/research.

The view from there, regardless of the early or late show, will be fabulous (IMHO).

Thank you so much for this info and insight. This is exactly what I was looking for and something I was worried about happening. I also have a CG ADR for 5:30 so i might consider watching the 6:30 there and then back to MK Main Street for 11:50. I’ll do more research. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for this info and insight. This is exactly what I was looking for and something I was worried about happening. I also have a CG ADR for 5:30 so i might consider watching the 6:30 there and then back to MK Main Street for 11:50. I’ll do more research. Thanks again!

A 5:30pm CG ADR sounds like a good plan to me! Although I keep forgetting that the calendar is currently showing Enchantment as the 6:30pm show. Enchantment is fine from CG, although I wish it was Fantasy in the Sky.

But a good CG meal and fireworks to fuel up for a late night in MK still gets my vote.

Okay, now I'm getting excited. I've got my park reservation for Epcot on 12/30 and MK on 12/31. I tried to flip them but 12/31 is locked down. I'm going to go to all four shows and try the MK both inside and outside. Excited!

Why do people prefer Epcot for 12/31? Availability of cocktails or ???

Okay, now I'm getting excited. I've got my park reservation for Epcot on 12/30 and MK on 12/31. I tried to flip them but 12/31 is locked down. I'm going to go to all four shows and try the MK both inside and outside. Excited!

Why do people prefer Epcot for 12/31? Availability of cocktails or ???
Disney hasn’t officially released any special NYE events yet but in the past Magic Kingdom has done midnight fireworks both Dec 30 and 31 while Epcot only does the midnight fireworks on the 31st. Some ppl do MK on the 30th so they can see both fireworks shows. At least for me, this is my reasoning. Each park has its own vibe as well on the 31st and that depends on the person on their preference for their NYE celebration!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter