New Year's Eve advise

justhat

<font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick
Hi everyone! I've been a member for awhile now, but this is my first post so I'm hoping someone knows something that can help me out. I am planning on going to Disney December 28 - January 4 and I was wondering if people could tell me what it's like then. I know it's the most crowded time of the year, but do the crowds go down after January 1st? I'm expecting crowds, but I want to know just how bad it actually will be. I was there last year from December 17-21 and it was great--no crowds at all and great weather. This year, however, I am going with my mom and my fiancé and since he's in medical school this is the only time we can go. I'd really like to go but if the crowds are going to be unbearable maybe I should just skip it. Anyone who's been there please let me know what you thought. Thanks!!

Hi, justhat! Welcome to the boards! We will be at WDW the exact same dates as you! I haven't been down for Christmas week/NYE before, but have been down there numerous times over Easter week when it's also really crowded.

We tentatively plan to do parks on Dec. 29 & 30, and on Jan 2 & 3. We will make use of Extra Magic Hour (or whatever they're calling it this time) and Fast Passes to manage the crowds the best we can. Over Easter week, that has worked just great for us. We normally head back to the room (staying at BWV this time) around mid-day when the crowds are really picking up. We have lunch and maybe a swim or nap. :o Then we head back to a park around 5 or 6 PM and stay till it closes. That game plan allowed us to do absolutely everything we wanted to do, including some of the super headliner rides more than once.

We're pretty sure we won't do any parks on NYE or NYD. Instead, we'll probably use those days to explore, shop at DD, enjoy whatever is going on at the Boardwalk, etc.

If I were choosing between dealing with the crowds and not going at all, it would be no choice. I'll go to WDW any chance I get and deal with the conditions as they are. But that's just me! ;)

Good luck as you plan your trip! Maybe we'll see you around the parks! :p

justhat,
We'll be part of the crowd, too! We are going 30Dec through 3 Jan.
We have been during Spring Break, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day before, but never on NYE--so, this will be a first for us, too!

I think we may do EPCOT on NYE. If the crowds become too crazy, maybe we will hang out at the room at BCV. I have been looking for special parties offered by Disney (where we could bring our 13 and 14 year olds)...

The California Grill has a special fancy NYE dinner with wine pairings, et'c..... Also, I think Pleasure Island has a special party, too.
-DC :)

Hi Justhat,

All I can say is get there early! It is very crowded. We went on NYE in 96 and we were running late and Epcot and MGM were the only parks that weren't full yet. You should definately go, every park puts on an excellent show and you will have a memory you won't forget.

Heather:earsgirl:

New Year's Eve day is crazy. You do need to be there early...MK is by far the most crowded, and miserable in my opinion, of the 3 parks that stay open till midnight. You can't go wrong, no matter where you decide to be for the fireworks, they're all spectacular. Jan. 1 the crowds should be way down, I guess most people sleep in that day :)
Have fun, this will be the first year we haven't been there for new year's in many years :(

We are going to be in Epcot on NYE. I think it will be more managable with the crowds. Have fun!

We'll be there too. I'm trying to finalize our plans. We were there in 2001, but arrived at the Poly on NYE and decided to have a nice dinner and relax. We started the parks on the 1st and the crowds were not bad at all. Each day it became more manageable.

This year we arrive on the 29th, so I'm not sure what to expect (actually I think I do, but don't want to think about it). I can't decide whether to visit a park on NYE or try something else. A big part of me wants to go so that we can experience all of the fun. In '01 I felt like we were left out by not being in a park at midnight.

Best of luck with everyone's planning!

Hi again everyone! Thanks to all of your help, I've decided to go ahead with the plans for New Year's and head to Disney. I'm not sure that we'll actually go into a park on New Year's Eve since I can imagine what they would be like, especially when for the fireworks. Because of the crowds on the 31st, my mom wants a MK monorail hotel so that she can see the fireworks from our room. She likes all 3, but I'm partial to the Poly because of it's location and great atmosphere and my fiancé wants the Contemporary because of the proximity to the MK and he loves how the monorail runs through it. That said, does anyone have a preference for any of these hotels, specifically for fireworks views. I wouldn't mind going to another hotel to watch them, but I'm pretty sure that mom will want to stay close to the room so she can go to sleep afterwards. (The reason for the trip was to celebrate the end of her chemo treatments for breast cancer, so even though she'll be done with them by then, she still might be a little tired.) Also, I heard that Epcot and MGM have fireworks that night too. If so, would a hotel in the Boardwalk area be better? Any suggestions would be great. You guys have been so helpful so far! Thanks!!!

Hi again everyone! Thanks to all of your help, I've decided to go ahead with the plans for New Year's and head to Disney. I'm not sure that we'll actually go into a park on New Year's Eve since I can imagine what they would be like, especially when for the fireworks. Because of the crowds on the 31st, my mom wants a MK monorail hotel so that she can see the fireworks from our room. She likes all 3, but I'm partial to the Poly because of it's location and great atmosphere and my fiancé wants the Contemporary because of the proximity to the MK and he loves how the monorail runs through it. That said, does anyone have a preference for any of these hotels, specifically for fireworks views. I wouldn't mind going to another hotel to watch them, but I'm pretty sure that mom will want to stay close to the room so she can go to sleep afterwards. (The reason for the trip was to celebrate the end of her chemo treatments for breast cancer, so even though she'll be done with them by then, she still might be a little tired.) Also, I heard that Epcot and MGM have fireworks that night too. If so, would a hotel in the Boardwalk area be better? We plan to split our stay with the remaining time at AKL, but definitely want to be closer to fireworks on NYE. Any suggestions would be great. You guys have been so helpful so far! Thanks!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter