• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Year’s Eve plan

smmcgarry

Mouseketeer
looking for some input on how good/realistic these plans are...

Go to Grand Floridian for a drink/appetizer at the lounge

Then go to Contemporary for a drink/appetizer at the lounge

Possibly go to Jelly Rolls for a drink

Go to Splitsville for dinner (sushi), stay for a while

End the night watching MK fireworks from the beach at Polynesian?

Any good?

That’s a fair amount of ground to cover all over property (on a high volume traffic day). If it were me, I’d want to limit my travels to maybe just two areas - MK resorts and DS. Drop Boardwalk/Jelly Rolls. Not sure about NYE but normally I don’t think it opens until 7 anyway?

Have fun!

You don't mention where you are staying or how you plan on traveling around but, quite honestly, I wouldn't want to do that on a regular day in WDW let alone one of the highest traffic days in the year. Driving, parking or taking a bus will not be fun that day. If you really want to do something like this, I would ditch Splitsville and do the following:

Start at Kimono's for sushi
Head to Jellyroll's (it usually opens at 7 pm)
GF, CR, then head to Poly (though I don't know if they will only be allowing resort guests on the beach for the fireworks)

We live in Florida... not staying anywhere. We’ll be driving and possibly leaving the car at dis and ubering back home. Pick up car next day

Last edited:

It's possible the beach at the Poly will be closed to guests not staying at the Poly. They do this at high crowd times. No idea if this will happen, just mentioning that it can happen. Get a back up plan in place for that one

Also possible you will encounter more than 1 resort parking lot closed to guests without an ADR. You may need to valet park or use TTC or a park parking lot.

1. Will there be any fireworks visible from Disney Springs? I suppose we could also watch MK fireworks from the Contemporary parking lot.

How delayed is bus service that night? I've got dinner ADRs over at the Swan but we're staying at the Contemporary. Wondering how early I should take the bus to the swan or just do the Minnie vans! :)

I suppose we could also watch MK fireworks from the Contemporary parking lot.

The fireworks from the contemp parking lot will be far better than anything at Disney Springs. I'd also recommend the courtyard area in front of the Contemporary too - closer to the lagoon the better.

How delayed is bus service that night? I've got dinner ADRs over at the Swan but we're staying at the Contemporary. Wondering how early I should take the bus to the swan or just do the Minnie vans! :)
Considering how hard it is to go Resort to Resort (you have to go via a park) I always take a Minnie Van, or Uber when we go Resort to Resort. Unless you just want to go to HS and then walk over. I'd do anything to avoid having to use 2 modes of transportation on that night.

1. Will there be any fireworks visible from Disney Springs? I suppose we could also watch MK fireworks from the Contemporary parking lot.

The fireworks from the contemp parking lot will be far better than anything at Disney Springs. I'd also recommend the courtyard area in front of the Contemporary too - closer to the lagoon the better.
They are also visible from Geyser Point patio area over at WL. I don't know how packed they get over there though, it only opened in April so it wasn't around last Holiday season, nothing to compare it to. They've got a decent view of the sky, but not the castle/ground. We've watched HEA over there several times. It's not bad. No replacement for being in the park mind you but not bad.

I would definitely do uber/Lyft or a Minnie Van. Otherwise you will have to bus to DHS and walk or boat to the Swan and I would allow about 2 hours for that.

That’s a fair amount of ground to cover all over property (on a high volume traffic day). If it were me, I’d want to limit my travels to maybe just two areas - MK resorts and DS. Drop Boardwalk/Jelly Rolls. Not sure about NYE but normally I don’t think it opens until 7 anyway?

Have fun!

I agree with this and second @AngiTN's comment about the Poly beach being closed off for resort guest access only. Just wanted to add one comment about Jellyrolls - they usually have a special NYE event that has a higher cover charge than the normal $12. Here's their description from last year: "Jellyrolls will be holding its annual Rockin' New Years Eve party! Tickets are $35.00 at the door, which includes live entertainment with 6 of our piano men, party favors, and a champagne toast.

Our piano players will be providing time updates throughout the evening, up to the big finale of the last ten seconds of the year. So come count down to 2017 here with us at Jellyrolls!"

OP might not want to lay down a $35 cover just to stay for one drink.

I just ran into another problem... guest services said that we would not be permitted o leave our vehicle overnight at any resort to Disney Springs, which causes a roadblock. Bering one way at $70 is one thing... 2 ways at $140 total is an entirely different prospect.

I just ran into another problem... guest services said that we would not be permitted o leave our vehicle overnight at any resort to Disney Springs, which causes a roadblock. Bering one way at $70 is one thing... 2 ways at $140 total is an entirely different prospect.
You had to get back to the car somehow...

There’s a viewing event at the Contemporary. Unless you’re staying there or paying for the event, I wouldn’t expect to do any viewing from the parking lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter