New weight loss pill that claims to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
An important part of nutrition is understanding that food isn't a thing to run to in order to fill some emotional void. It is a way to get fuel into the body and the better that fuel the better the body you will have all else being equal. That is a lesson that has to be taught early in life because unlearning it as an adult is much harder than not having learned it at all. It is a key factor my wife and I discuss as we attempt to raise a physically and emotionally healthy child.

I'm a 54 y/o women who has never really been overweight but since my 40s, I've been dealing with 10 lbs that comes on and off. I have an office job and a long commute (and for a long time I had kids, sports, etc). Bottom line is that I'm not active and never have been. So, as I've aged and have been dealing with trying to keep the 10 lbs off, I actually have to get down to about 1300 calories to lose VERY SLOWLY. It's disheartening. I've spend a lot of time on MyFitnessPal. On that amount of calories I never feel satisfied, ever. Also, I do find, when tracking, that at that low of calories, I do fall short on some of the RDAs. It's hard to get the recommended levels of anything in at that low of calories. My maintenance is about 1500-1600 per day and I can usually hit my targets with that. But I still feel hungry. Maybe not like I'm going to eat my arm off, but I definitely am always left wanting. I'm always sure to get enough protein as well as "volume" foods, but it's just the way it is. I've always had a good appetite, even as a child. I've just been lucky that my metabolism was great for most of my life. Now, not so much.

Is there a reason? Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to but the first thing I would say in this situation is to add in some calorie burning activity and then you can eat more calories without having a surplus. The human body is made for movement. No one has to push themselves through 100 mile races over mountains but nutrition aside the human body needs some sort of exercise to remain truly healthy. Adding even a few miles of walking would add an additional couple hundred calories to what you could consume and still break even.

snipped

Portraying overweight people in the negative is wrong. People struggle. If there is a tool that can help some people, and it's used properly, it is a good thing. People want to denigrate overweight people for being overweight, but then ridicule them when they try to use tools, such as particular diets, medications, and surgery.

Tools are great but most tools still require work on the part of the person using it. Nothing that requires no work is really ever going to work as far as long term health goes. There will never be a magic pill. There will be meal delivery plans and calorie tracking apps and training plans in a variety of flavors and all are tools that are available but require effort.

Ignoring the actual tools that exist and work because they require work and waiting for some magic pill to come along that require no work or sacrifice is a fools errand.

All my opinion. YMMV.

Is there a reason? Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to but the first thing I would say in this situation is to add in some calorie burning activity and then you can eat more calories without having a surplus. The human body is made for movement. No one has to push themselves through 100 mile races over mountains but nutrition aside the human body needs some sort of exercise to remain truly healthy. Adding even a few miles of walking would add an additional couple hundred calories to what you could consume and still break even.

I'm just not an athlete. Was never involved in sports growing up. I like reading. As an older adult, I do far more exercise than I ever did in my childhood or 20s. But I'm not silly enough to believe that a 3 mile walk gives me a great amount of calories. I've tracked it (most counters overestimate) and I can *maybe* eek out 100 extra calories a day. Certainly nothing to dismiss, but an activity that I do is not going to enable me to eat 2000 calories a day (which feels good to me). I've tried all sorts of things an stuck with them here and there, but I don't enjoy them. Mostly because I'm so pressed for time that it's just another chore to do. I do wish I could learn to love it, but I don't.

I'm not sure what

I'm not sure what article you and the OP read, but that one certainly did not tout Belviq as a "miracle pill."

What is did say, was that it was safe for long term use as it caused no cardiac problems after being used long term, as opposed to other diet pills

Why is it that overweight people are automatically assumed to be stupid and lazy? A new tool in aiding people to lose weight comes out and people want to assume that overweight people are stupid and believe that they just swallow the pill and, poof! they will lose weight. No one says "Ehrmagad! There is a new diabetes medication out. All these diabetics will think that they just take this miracle drug and it will cure their diabetes." The assumption was made that diabetics know to use these medicines in conjunction with diet to lower their blood augar and A1C, and to help keep it there.

No doctor prescribes a weight loss pill and sends their patient out into the world to go be skinny. They counsel them on diet and exercise.

Why is it automatically assumed that if you are overweight it's because you can't be bothered to do anything about it?

Obesity, weight gain, and eating habits are a very complex emotional, physical, functional, cultural and socioeconomic thing. The is no one good answer or treatment for anyone.

What this article states is that this medicine is safe for long term use, because it won't damage your heart and is safe for use by people who have existing cardiac problems. It also very clearly stated that the action of the medication is to stimulate the area ofthe brain that signals the feeling of fullness and that it is to be used in conjunction with a diet plan. It is a tool to help people stay on plan with a diet.

I have seen many of your posts about diet, nutrition, and your lifestyle. From reading them I am of the opinion that you don't have a very healthy relationship with food, although you are very quick to tell everyone how trim, healthy, and athletic you are. Preparing a week's meals and eating the same thing over and over reheated and thawed and making sure you haul those same foods everywhere, even in theme parks, so as not to deviate from rhe plan. Calling any meals that deviate from the pre-prepared meals "cheat meals," as if going off any preconceived plan is bad. The word "cheat" implies anegative. Descriptions of dry sandwiches and condescending people who put condiments on sandwiches as "slathering" them.

I also think there are very few people who would enjoy your lifestyle, or have the luxury to do it. Being up and out before dawn and running hither and yon for the next 18 hours with only 20 minutes to spend in your house. Some people enjoy meals with their families or just spending time talking, or being at home. as opposed to running from one activity to the next. Some people have to work 2 jobs, or are single parents who have small children, or have jobs with odd or varying hours. Life is not so simple for everyone that every day, every meal can be planned out a week ahead of time.

As another person mentioned, too, money plays a factor. You can get a generic brand of Kraft dinner for 59 cents a box. 2 boxes and you have a $1.20 meal for your family. Fresh food costs much more than processed food, and depending on your living situation you may not have access to a large variety, even canned or frozen.

Eating disorders come in varying forms. Some people overeat. Some under. Some binge. Some purge. Some are very rigid with their diet. Some emotionally eat. Some emotionally fast.

Some people have a slow metabolism that requires a drastic cut in calories. Some people burn calories faster. Some bodies have different intake needs and tolerances. Exercise only counts about 20% when it comes to weight loss. 80% is diet.

This is why different diets work for different people. Example, some people drop a lot of weight on keto. Other people just gain because their bodies process fats and carbs differently. There is so much we don't know about DNA.

Physiologically, in theory it may be as easy as, "just eat less," but there are so many other factors. Humans are complex in a lot of ways and the notion that weight loss is a one size fits all formula is ridiculous.

Portraying overweight people in the negative is wrong. People struggle. If there is a tool that can help some people, and it's used properly, it is a good thing. People want to denigrate overweight people for being overweight, but then ridicule them when they try to use tools, such as particular diets, medications, and surgery.

Excellent post! While I haven't spent my life clinically obese, I have struggled with extra weight my ENTIRE life. My entire family struggles with this, despite growing up with proper nutrition and exercise patterns, etc. It is a struggle we have had to be very deliberate about - using tools that helped us do so. (most of those tools have been tip books, diet plans, gym memberships, etc., but they are still tools) This could be that tool for some. Getting off the weight GAIN wagon might be enough for significant health benefits for many. If this could turn out to be a safe tool for that I think that would be a good thing. Telling people to cut back on one spoonful a day of food to fix their problems is making light of what is a very real problem for many people.

My dad was a scientist and a doctor. He always said that people in the field of animal husbandry spend their careers working on breeding strains that gain weight efficiently. Telling humans there's no such thing is ridiculous. My husband is naturally thin so I've seen first hand how two people can eat the same diet, follow the same exercise plan, and one can gain weight while the other loses. While there is certainly truth to calories in/calories out, there's also more to it than meets the eye.

There's never going to be a magic pill that takes away the need for proper nutrition and exercise. However, there might be medication that helps people have more success with those.

Last edited:
I have about 80 pounds to lose, and for years it's seemed like an impossible task. I seriously considered surgery or pills, because I was looking for an "easy" solution. I didn't pursue either, because the side effects of pills scare me, and the surgery recovery scared me even more (not judging those who've done it - just not for me).

In early July I decided to start Nutrasystem. It's working amazing for me - I'm averaging 2 to 2 1/2 pounds per week. It's all about counting calories. Staying within a 1200 calorie per day intake, 4 serving of veggies per day (veggies don't count towards the 1200 calories), and 64 oz. of water per day (coffee counts). I wouldn't necessarily recommend Nutrasystem for everyone, but it works for me and my lifestyle.

It's changed my whole outlook on food. I have a day here or there where I go over 1200, but the next day I get right back on track. I log everything in their app.

I know it's going to take me about a year to get to my goal weight, but I finally feel like I have the tools and mindset to do it. I've already noticed that my grocery cart looks very different (lots of fresh veggies, no sweets), and going out to eat I make very different choices. But I'm happy with the results and I don't feel hungry all day.

Last edited:

Tools are great but most tools still require work on the part of the person using it. Nothing that requires no work is really ever going to work as far as long term health goes. There will never be a magic pill. There will be meal delivery plans and calorie tracking apps and training plans in a variety of flavors and all are tools that are available but require effort.

Ignoring the actual tools that exist and work because they require work and waiting for some magic pill to come along that require no work or sacrifice is a fools errand.

All my opinion. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

I'm
An important part of nutrition is understanding that food isn't a thing to run to in order to fill some emotional void. It is a way to get fuel into the body and the better that fuel the better the body you will have all else being equal. That is a lesson that has to be taught early in life because unlearning it as an adult is much harder than not having learned it at all. It is a key factor my wife and I discuss as we attempt to raise a physically and emotionally healthy child.

All my opinion. YMMV.

That is what i just said, and the whole point of what I said. No one, but the OP and a few other posters said it was a magic pill. The article itself said the medication was a tool along with proper diet to help people lose weight.

I'm going to venture that the vast majority of overweight people understand that changing their diet is the key to losing weight. Again, if there is a tool, whether it's meal delivery, medication, surgery, trackers that can help them then it should be encouraged, if that option is safe for them and can help in that struggle.

Again, people want to denigrate people for being overweight portraying them as lazy and weak. Then someone overweight tries or does or wants to lose weight by using anything other than their notion of how they should lose it they get labeled for being lazy, weak , AND stupid for doing that, too. It's a no-win situation. (Ask anyone that has had or is contemplating weight loss surgery)

Again, it's too complex of an issue to have a one-size-fits-all solution.

Most people vastly overestimate the amount of calories burned during exercise, and those workout programs that advertise "lose X amount of calories a session' are nonsense. Again, most overestimate, and people burn calories at different rates.

The notion that overweight people are so stupid that they automatically assume that any diet aid, be it medication, surgery, or a meal plan is insulting.

Generally speaking, fruits and veggies are pretty much unlimited...you can eat them until your heart is content.
No, you can't. A single banana is over 100 calories. If you're a middle-aged woman confined to a 1,200 calorie diet to achieve weight loss, that one banana is 1/12th of the day's allotted food. One apple is also about 100 calories. So forget about fruits being unlimited on a low-calorie diet- they can't be.

You can be freer with vegetables, as they have less calories than fruit, but this is only the case if the veggies have no sauce and were not cooked with butter or oil. Raw or steamed veggies with no accompaniment are not a realistic mainstay for most people.

How you lose weight, calories in/calories out, *is* simple. It’s math and nothing more.

A big part of weight is metabolism. It isn't all about what you eat or how active you are. I was a size 6 when I was 38, with no strict diets or workouts required, and had never had a weight problem in my life. Even after giving birth at age 30, the pregnancy pounds just melted away via breastfeeding. But at age 43, I find myself gaining inexplicably, and have been over the past few years. I'm now a size 10, and gaining. My metabolism just seems to have crashed in response to my increasing age and my medical problems, despite my maintaining a normal diet and moderate daily exercise. It happens.

Men can eat more than women, and younger people can eat more than older people, without gaining. Hormones, health problems and some medications affect metabolism in a big way.

So the "simple math" is anything but simple. Health and weight are complicated.

Last edited:

No, you can't. A single banana is over 100 calories. If you're a middle-aged woman confined to a 1,200 calorie diet to achieve weight loss, that one banana is 1/12th of the day's allotted food. One apple is also about 100 calories. So forget about fruits being unlimited on a low-calorie diet- they can't be.

You can be freer with vegetables, as they have less calories than fruit, but this is only the case if the veggies have no sauce and were not cooked with butter or oil. Raw or steamed veggies with no accompaniment are not a realistic mainstay for most people.

A big part of weight is metabolism. It isn't all about what you eat or how active you are. I was a size 6 when I was 38, with no strict diets or workouts required, and had never had a weight problem in my life. Even after giving birth at age 30, the pregnancy pounds just melted away via breastfeeding. But at age 43, I find myself gaining inexplicably, and have been over the past few years. I'm now a size 10, and gaining. My metabolism just seems to have crashed in response to my increasing age and my medical problems, despite my maintaining a normal diet and moderate daily exercise. It happens.

Men can eat more than women, and younger people can eat more than older people, without gaining. Hormones, health problems and some medications affect metabolism in a big way.

So the "simple math" is anything but simple. Health and weight are complicated.
Your metabolism accounts for how much you burn. You still have to eat less then you burn in order to lose weight. How you accomplish that may be harder now then it was ten years ago for a host of reasons; you’re older, your metabolism is slower, you have to eat less than someone the same size, you have to work out more and harder, whatever the case may be but at the end of the day it’s still math. You find your equation and you will lose. That’s not to say you don’t or won’t struggle to find it whether it’s because you have a physical limitation, a psychological one or both. Again, simple but not necessarily easy.

I get the struggle, I really do. I come from a long line of overweight and obese people. I think some who have quoted me think I have no idea what’s it like but believe me, I do. I was obese. I struggled, I had no idea where to start and I sure didn’t think I’d ever make it happen. It took a lot of hard work and dedication. It *still* takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I’m fifty years old, I ache in places I didn’t know I could ache. I cannot eat the way I did when I was 20 or 30 or 40. I have to work twice as hard to burn half as many calories as I did when I was 20 or 30 or 40. Yep, it’s not easy.

I’m not sitting here playing keyboard cowboy judging people for their struggles and I don’t think anyone else here who has chimed in is either. I enter these threads because I really want to help. I want people to know you don’t have to give up everything you like to eat. That you don’t have to eat kale and bean sprouts for the rest of your life if that’s not your thing. I can’t help with the mental part, everyone needs to find their own why, but if something I say clicks with just one person one time then it’s worth at least trying.

No kidding. My heart was broken yesterday when I found out that my new love, SunGold Kiwi Fruit, was 110 calories per fruit. No wonder they are so delicious. There was a part of me that said "This is fruit, I can have as many of these as I want." Nope. And at a 1400 calorie per day limit, a few pieces of fruit do me in. So do lima beans for that matter.

I think I've relayed this story here before but my coworker was on one of the Weight Watchers plans a few years ago that had zero points for fruits and veggies. She was eating a LOT of bananas because they were FREE!! That didn't go well.

That is what i just said, and the whole point of what I said. No one, but the OP and a few other posters said it was a magic pill. The article itself said the medication was a tool along with proper diet to help people lose weight.

I'm going to venture that the vast majority of overweight people understand that changing their diet is the key to losing weight. Again, if there is a tool, whether it's meal delivery, medication, surgery, trackers that can help them then it should be encouraged, if that option is safe for them and can help in that struggle.

That really depends. There is no way I would encourage anyone I know and love to pop pills just to lose 9lbs in 3 years when there are guaranteed safe ways to do it. FDA approval does not guarantee safety. I have no problem with people making up their own minds but I will disagree that the bolded should be encouraged.
The only way I would wish those I love to go the medication or surgery route is if it was a life or death situation and death was imminent without it, those 2 things would always be a last resort when all else fails and your life literally depends on it. However with this medication, if 9lbs means the difference between life and death for you, you'd be dead long before those 3 years are up.

That really depends. There is no way I would encourage anyone I know and love to pop pills just to lose 9lbs in 3 years

But I wonder if those people in the study lost 9 pounds instead of staying the same, or instead of gaining 20? If the control group gained, the actual effect of the medication is really greater.

I'm not sure what

I'm not sure what article you and the OP read, but that one certainly did not tout Belviq as a "miracle pill."

What is did say, was that it was safe for long term use as it caused no cardiac problems after being used long term, as opposed to other diet pills

Why is it that overweight people are automatically assumed to be stupid and lazy? A new tool in aiding people to lose weight comes out and people want to assume that overweight people are stupid and believe that they just swallow the pill and, poof! they will lose weight. No one says "Ehrmagad! There is a new diabetes medication out. All these diabetics will think that they just take this miracle drug and it will cure their diabetes." The assumption was made that diabetics know to use these medicines in conjunction with diet to lower their blood augar and A1C, and to help keep it there.

No doctor prescribes a weight loss pill and sends their patient out into the world to go be skinny. They counsel them on diet and exercise.

Why is it automatically assumed that if you are overweight it's because you can't be bothered to do anything about it?

Obesity, weight gain, and eating habits are a very complex emotional, physical, functional, cultural and socioeconomic thing. The is no one good answer or treatment for anyone.

What this article states is that this medicine is safe for long term use, because it won't damage your heart and is safe for use by people who have existing cardiac problems. It also very clearly stated that the action of the medication is to stimulate the area ofthe brain that signals the feeling of fullness and that it is to be used in conjunction with a diet plan. It is a tool to help people stay on plan with a diet.

I have seen many of your posts about diet, nutrition, and your lifestyle. From reading them I am of the opinion that you don't have a very healthy relationship with food, although you are very quick to tell everyone how trim, healthy, and athletic you are. Preparing a week's meals and eating the same thing over and over reheated and thawed and making sure you haul those same foods everywhere, even in theme parks, so as not to deviate from rhe plan. Calling any meals that deviate from the pre-prepared meals "cheat meals," as if going off any preconceived plan is bad. The word "cheat" implies anegative. Descriptions of dry sandwiches and condescending people who put condiments on sandwiches as "slathering" them.

I also think there are very few people who would enjoy your lifestyle, or have the luxury to do it. Being up and out before dawn and running hither and yon for the next 18 hours with only 20 minutes to spend in your house. Some people enjoy meals with their families or just spending time talking, or being at home. as opposed to running from one activity to the next. Some people have to work 2 jobs, or are single parents who have small children, or have jobs with odd or varying hours. Life is not so simple for everyone that every day, every meal can be planned out a week ahead of time.

As another person mentioned, too, money plays a factor. You can get a generic brand of Kraft dinner for 59 cents a box. 2 boxes and you have a $1.20 meal for your family. Fresh food costs much more than processed food, and depending on your living situation you may not have access to a large variety, even canned or frozen.

Eating disorders come in varying forms. Some people overeat. Some under. Some binge. Some purge. Some are very rigid with their diet. Some emotionally eat. Some emotionally fast.

Some people have a slow metabolism that requires a drastic cut in calories. Some people burn calories faster. Some bodies have different intake needs and tolerances. Exercise only counts about 20% when it comes to weight loss. 80% is diet.

This is why different diets work for different people. Example, some people drop a lot of weight on keto. Other people just gain because their bodies process fats and carbs differently. There is so much we don't know about DNA.

Physiologically, in theory it may be as easy as, "just eat less," but there are so many other factors. Humans are complex in a lot of ways and the notion that weight loss is a one size fits all formula is ridiculous.

Very well written post. Seriously. I'm even giving you a like for it. :D I actually agree with so many of the things you talk about. The only "denigrate" or "negative" I see is that I simply feel it's a shame to be morbidly obese.

I'm very well aware of all the factors that you point out. I'm not a doctor, a professional trainer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I do have a passion for health and nutrition, so I'm familiar with the things you talk about. You may feel I have an unhealthy relationship with food, and that's your opinion, but I would very much beg to differ. As for me pointing out that I'm fit, there's no reason I shouldn't be proud of what I do, I work very hard at it. I'm not going to be ashamed of being in great shape and offer advice to people who are struggling. Sorry if that bothers you. A "cheat meal" is actually a very common term in nutrition...used routinely by nutritionists/trainers, etc...if you look at it as a negative, that's up to you. To me, it's a positive. If you've read my posts, which it sure seems you have, I actually talk about it in a very positive light. I very much look forward to mine. Look at athletes who are famous for being in amazing condition. "The Rock" is a great example. Check out how he openly discusses his cheat meal and talks about it in a positive light.

From a pure numbers standpoint, it really is a calories in vs calories out, but where it unquestionably isn't "one size fits all" is how you get there and what obstacles you have to it. So no doubt, I 110% agree it's not one size fits all. Rather, my feeling is that there's a "right size" for everyone, but it's unique to that person. We could debate all day if it's 80/20 diet, or 70/30 or 51/49, but I definitely agree that nutrition is more important than exercise. That's where the phrase "abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym" comes from, and it's completely true. Nor do I think it's simply a motto of eating less...that actually can be a very bad thing.

My lifestyle is my own choice, just like yours is your own choice. If you think my life is "simple", that's your own observation. I choose to get up stupid early because that's what works for me to be able to get my exercise in. If I didn't, I know I'd never get it in. That's my own choice. I run around like crazy because that's what we've chosen to support ourselves and our kids. That's our family choice. Everyone has their own challenges, their own situations, their own reasons and their own solutions. If you don't like my feelings about health and nutrition, you're more than welcome to disagree. I respect that. However, doesn't mean I'm going to change my opinion that where there is a will, there is a way to get and stay healthy...regardless of money, time, etc... It's not a negative thing, not a denigrate thing, frankly it's just the opposite. I love to hear about people who do overcome their challenges and get healthy. It's super inspiring...DW was, and still is, my inspiration.

Ah the magic pill, surgery, or incantation for weight loss. I'm allowed to make fun of it as I lost over 100lbs the old fashioned way 15 years ago. Diet and exercise. (And yes, I was FAT for a very long time). More recently, after gaining maybe 30 pounds over the past two years, I dropped back down again in 2 months. Guess how? Diet and exercise.

It amazes me the money this industry makes off of peoples inability to just eat less and move a little. It also drives me nuts when discussions turn to needing a gym membership, working out 2-3 hours a day etc. Guess what? That's not necessary either. I'm over 50 now and my most recently lost 30 lbs was done by simply walking 3-5 miles a day, and cutting carbs and junk.

I know at least 5 people personally who have either gone the surgery route, or the magic diet pill. The surgery folks, all 3 of them, had major issues. Internal bleeding, weight gain after a few years, and never learned to eat right anyway. The diet pill group just plain out failed after spending a ton of money on pills and diet programs.

Bottom line is if you want to lose the weight, you will and can by simply eating clean and moving.

I have lost 136 lbs on a simple calories in/calories out method, after fluctuating between 250-300 lbs for over 15 years, trying a bunch of other methods. I work long hours and am still the cook for my family, I don't have time to make multiple meals every night, so I eat the same food my non - dieting, rather picky family eats. I also have a giant sweet tooth, and will fail any diet that doesn't allow me to have at least something sweet most nights of the week. The best advice I can give is know what you are putting in your body. A food diary was the missing link for me, it forced me to pay attention to serving sizes, and my snacking. All diets to lose weight work the same way, they get you to reduce your daily calorie intake. Some do it openly, others restrict classically calorie-dense foods (ie carbs) and force you to more filling, less calorie dense options. As I stated earlier, I liked the numbers part of pure calorie counting, and it was incredibly reliable. For the last year and a half, I lost a pound for every 3500 calorie deficit. Water weight skewed results on a short term basis, but it always came back to that number eventually (as long as I didn't cheat the diary), and that knowledge was HUGE in helping me get through short term plateaus where the scale didn't match the deficit. I still eat pizza, ice cream, candy, bread, pasta, etc. Just at smaller portions than I used to. And because I was counting, I knew I had eaten enough even in my stomach didn't always agree right away.

Ah the magic pill, surgery, or incantation for weight loss. I'm allowed to make fun of it as I lost over 100lbs the old fashioned way 15 years ago. Diet and exercise. (And yes, I was FAT for a very long time). More recently, after gaining maybe 30 pounds over the past two years, I dropped back down again in 2 months. Guess how? Diet and exercise.

It amazes me the money this industry makes off of peoples inability to just eat less and move a little. It also drives me nuts when discussions turn to needing a gym membership, working out 2-3 hours a day etc. Guess what? That's not necessary either. I'm over 50 now and my most recently lost 30 lbs was done by simply walking 3-5 miles a day, and cutting carbs and junk.

I know at least 5 people personally who have either gone the surgery route, or the magic diet pill. The surgery folks, all 3 of them, had major issues. Internal bleeding, weight gain after a few years, and never learned to eat right anyway. The diet pill group just plain out failed after spending a ton of money on pills and diet programs.

Bottom line is if you want to lose the weight, you will and can by simply eating clean and moving.

You are "allowed" to make fun of whomever you want. Should you is another question. It's a very unkind person who makes fun of others struggles. If it makes you feel like a better person to do so, that says much more about you than them.

No one has paid any attention at all. No medical provider has ever stated that weight loss medication or surgery is any type of "magical" solution.

Every manufacturer and medical professional will tell you that these are TOOLS to use in conjunction with diet and exercise to help you achieve and maintain weight loss.

No professional said, "take this pill" or "have this surgery and go forth and be skinny." No professional has ever said to disregard diet and exercise.

In fact, if you read the Belviq literature it specifically states that if you haven't achieved a 5% weight loss in 12 weeks to discontinue the medication.

This medication works on serotonin to help stimulate the satiety center in the brain. Much like anti-depressants that work on serotonin, not every one works for every person.

The whole point is that no on, other than the OP, and a few posters on this thread, ever asserted that this, or any other weight loss medication or surgery is a "magical" solution, and to assume that just because someone struggles with weight loss they are too stupid to understand that, is ridiculous.

Just because one particular plan or medication or surgery worked for one person doesn't mean that it is a universal solution.

Listen to what other posters are saying. Some feel hungry all the time. Some cannot eat unlimited quantities of particular foods for health reasons. Some have the urge to binge. Some people eat because they are depressed. If there is something out there that can help them get over that hurdle, instead of making fun of them support their efforts. Instead of discouraging them by telling them that they should just XXX like you did, encourage their efforts.

You are "allowed" to make fun of whomever you want. Should you is another question. It's a very unkind person who makes fun of others struggles. If it makes you feel like a better person to do so, that says much more about you than them.

No one has paid any attention at all. No medical provider has ever stated that weight loss medication or surgery is any type of "magical" solution.

Every manufacturer and medical professional will tell you that these are TOOLS to use in conjunction with diet and exercise to help you achieve and maintain weight loss.

No professional said, "take this pill" or "have this surgery and go forth and be skinny." No professional has ever said to disregard diet and exercise.

In fact, if you read the Belviq literature it specifically states that if you haven't achieved a 5% weight loss in 12 weeks to discontinue the medication.

This medication works on serotonin to help stimulate the satiety center in the brain. Much like anti-depressants that work on serotonin, not every one works for every person.

The whole point is that no on, other than the OP, and a few posters on this thread, ever asserted that this, or any other weight loss medication or surgery is a "magical" solution, and to assume that just because someone struggles with weight loss they are too stupid to understand that, is ridiculous.

Just because one particular plan or medication or surgery worked for one person doesn't mean that it is a universal solution.

Listen to what other posters are saying. Some feel hungry all the time. Some cannot eat unlimited quantities of particular foods for health reasons. Some have the urge to binge. Some people eat because they are depressed. If there is something out there that can help them get over that hurdle, instead of making fun of them support their efforts. Instead of discouraging them by telling them that they should just XXX like you did, encourage their efforts.

Regarding what I put in bold. You do realize I meant that in a light hearted way right? If you didn't, don't be so sensitive.

Regarding no medical provider stating surgery or pills are a magical solution? Sorry. I disagree 110%. I live in PA, close to NJ and NY. On my daily commute I see numerous billboards from BIG area hospitals touting just how happy you'll be after losing all your weight from surgery or some new wondrous break through in weight loss technology. How wonderful it is. How "magical".

I know what it feels like to feel hungry all the time. It's hard. The problem today is everyone wants the easy way out with everything. I have news for the snow flakes out there. There IS no easy way to getting anything worth while.

Will start by saying I've been overweight my entire life. I'm not looking for an "easy way out" and I accept responsibility for my health or lack there of. My problems are my problems.

As for surgery being a "magic solution", I know someone who had gastric bypass surgery about 15 years ago and has regained 60 pounds. So, no, it isn't a solution but a tool. I have considered it, but had extensive surgery 2 years ago for breast cancer and as for now, I am unwilling to have more.

I wonder, though. If there were a magic, foolproof tool for weight loss, how would you feel about the person who used it? Would you dismiss them as taking "the easy way out"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter