New Southwest seats??

Ted and Holly

This login is used by Ted only, please refer to Ju
Has anyone flown SWA lately? On of my eighth graders came back from Nashville yesterday and she said that her plane had new seats and they were SMALLER, and there was no room to cross her legs. She flies SWA frequently (every few of months) and knows the ropes. She's bright and I trust that she wasn't just fooling with me. She said she asked a Flight Attendant and it was confirmed... new smaller seats!!???

This doesn't make sense to me? Can it be true or just an isolated thing on the one aircraft????

Holly

I recently flew on one of the newly refitted SWA planes, the ones with nice leather seats. I did not find them any smaller or the leg room diminished.
Actually, if you go to the SWA site, they give a pretty nice description of how much room there is. I will say that, while the seats are nice, they are sort of dark and do give the appearance of being smaller.

More Leg Room

We would like to dispel the myth that our airline is, perhaps, cramming more seats into our airplanes. Southwest is actually working hard to provide you with more room in each "edition" of the 737 that we have ordered. You see, even though most of our flights are short, your comfort is still of the utmost importance to us. That is why, when we designed our aircraft interiors, we worked hard at maintaining a comfortable distance or pitch7 between your seat and the seat in front of you. The chart below shows the number of seats in each Boeing 737 model we fly as compared to the number of seats that airplane would hold if we were less concerned with your comfort. It will also give you an idea of what you can expect in terms of leg room.8

Model
Maximum
Capacity Southwest
Capacity Average
Pitch

737-700*

737-500

737-300

737-200

*The 737-700 is the newest addition to our fleet, and we have lots more on the way. This beautiful new airplane not only flies quieter, farther, and more fuel efficiently, it is roomier. Our –700 seats are pitched at 33-34 inches (and even farther apart at exit rows); but, when we designed its beautiful new interior, we removed the cabin dividers and selected an innovative new seat design. So, when you fly on one of our newer planes, you will actually feel like your seat is pitched at 35 or more inches—the same amount of space in the first- and business-class sections on some airlines! Our –700s have more overhead bin space, too!

Comfort Has a New Feel!

On the dawn of our 30th year, Southwest gives a salute to our past and a toast to our future with a fresh new look-a bird of a different color. On January 16, 2001, we proudly unveiled the look that launches us into the new millennium. Inspired by a canyon sunrise and dedicated to our loyal Customers, Canyon Blue was added to Southwest's traditional gold, red, and orange colors. Beauty, however, is more than skin deep. The interiors of our 737s also are new. The Canyon Blue will team with Saddle Tan in Southwest's new all-leather seating configuration. Brushed aluminum surfaces, deep blue carpet, and newly designed windscreens complete a comfortable interior look and feel for Customers, which calms the mind and comforts the body.

I have not noticed any changes in the seat size or pitch since the installation of the new seats.

However, I think due to the changein exit row configuration the seats directly behind the exit rows may be a bit more crowded now.

While we're on the subject...
anyone seen the two rows of seats that face each other? Like on a train? I heard this was a new SWA option, but have been unable to find details on it. What a great way for a family to truly fly together.

Newer aircraft seats tend to have backrests which are much thinner than in older models. This does make the seat look smaller to some people. Making the seatbacks thinner is a "painless" way for the airline to give better legroom while still keeping the same number of seats.

BTW, SWA had the 6-facing configuration w/ the older livery, too. I can't imagine they would do away with them, as the configuration allows them to squeeze in at least 2 more rows of seats. Just FYI, unlike a train, these facing seats have no table in the center, and they sometimes lack pull-out tray tables as well.

Last year when I flew up to MHT, I flew up on one of the older aircraft... I could tell it was older because it had ashtrays in the armrests. A few days later, when I flew back, it was on a brand new aircraft, complete with the leather seats. Had a nice "new leather" smell to the plane. :)

I'm a big guy, 6'2" 215... The seats seemed just fine for me. I had plenty of room to be able to stretch my long legs out completely on both aircraft.

Thanks!! I didn't think they'd do that, but I thought I'd check! My student said the seats were not leather, they were "fuzzy"
Must have been a fluke! Maybe she did get a seat near the exit row, those definitely have a smaller pitch.

We had the wonderful experience of flying one of the new SWA 737's with the leather last summer, and I LOVED it! I have never felt crowded on SWA, even when I was 60 pounds heavier. I'm glad to hear that SWA didn't change for the worse....

Holly

Originally posted by JuJuJasmine
anyone seen the two rows of seats that face each other? Like on a train? I heard this was a new SWA option, but have been unable to find details on it. What a great way for a family to truly fly together.

Actually, they are doing away with those as the planes are "refitted" and on any new planes that come into the "fleet" .

Originally posted by JuJuJasmine

This option is only available on the old style SWA planes. It is not the best option for six adults because the leg room is very poor for six adults. SWA calls them lounge seating. I find them less than desirable because I am playing footsy with someone the entire way. I have no tray table to put my drink or snack and I don't want to be face to face with anyone on a plane.

There are usually 6 lounge sections on every plane. 2 at the very front and two at the very back and 2 at the over wing exits. Only adults may sit in the middle section of lounge seating due to the overwing exit. You are still very close to your seatmates in the over wing exit so there is no benefit to these seats.

I prefer the new configuration with all the seats facing one direction. The plane just seems more airy and open.

Great Info on the "lounge" seats. Sillys as it sounds, no tray tables is a deal breaker for me. Glad I've got the scoop.
JuJu

We flew Southwest a couple of weeks ago and I was really surprised at the room we had especially in the front of my seat. I could actually sit comfortably with me legs crossed and that's the first airline that I was able to accomplish that on!;) :)

Originally posted by sammi
We flew Southwest a couple of weeks ago and I was really surprised at the room we had especially in the front of my seat. I could actually sit comfortably with me legs crossed and that's the first airline that I was able to accomplish that on!;) :)

Me too, I have very long legs and I love the room that those planes afford. Even if someone has their seat reclined, I don't feel cramped.
I knew you were going to enjoy SWA, but, geez, I did not think you were going to enjoy it as much as you did. :) I am really happy that you liked it.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Also forgot to mention Gail that we indeed got "A" boarding passes and sat both times in the 2nd row! Just where we wanted to sit!!!:p ;) :)

Oops..... and yep I'm nearly 5'8" with long legs too!;) :)

I flew both the "old" planes and the "new" planes last week on SWA. I find the leg room very comfortable and similar to the room on other planes.

One thing I do need to remind people is to get to MCO early if you are on SWA and being in the A group is important to you and your group. We arrived at MCO 2.5 hours early on Thursday and checked into the "B" group. Quite a few members of the "C" group ended up having to gate check their rolling bags because bin space was filled.

pin
remember the magic
DVC/BCVs 2002

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter