New signature card at Crystal Palace

The prices at buffets are so high IMO to make the dining plan look like a deal. I don't have any stats, but I'm guessing few pay OOP for the run of the mill buffets.

The prices at buffets are so high IMO to make the dining plan look like a deal. I don't have any stats, but I'm guessing few pay OOP for the run of the mill buffets.
We've never used a dining plan. With TIW I think the prices are ok for what you get -- even without characters -- considering it's a theme park, you're a captive audience, etc.

And whether Disney packs them in for these buffets OOP or with DP, they are full, and Disney is clearly making a profit. Demand is obviously there. Nothing broken here. There are other options for meals for those who don't find these "worth it". :)

I totally get the upset for the young ones for pooh bear not signing their book my DD19 on the other hand will be thrilled since she doesn't do autograph anymore to have something tangible of the sacred pooh bear from the magic kingdom. My favourite thing in the world is to see that "adult" face look 6 again as she hugs her pooh: at breakfast!! It makes both our days...on the flip side when I got to hug the talking ::MickeyMo she said my face lit up too....Disneypixiedust:

I still believe that they should put the characters in a room and allow people to take pictures in one area. This would cut the table to table visits and one picture with all the charters at once sounds great to me instead of the one by one. I like the card idea and think over time they do rare cards/holiday version. If done correctly it could be fun.

It seems efficiency could easily be increased if the handler would prepare the next table to be ready with autograph books and cameras. However, I believe this is a ploy to flip tables faster and increase the number of guests per hour.

My family books character meals in order to not wait in line to meet characters in the park. So, we may have to change our plans a little if actual signatures are a must for the family.

Hoping characters can sign again in November!

It seems efficiency could easily be increased if the handler would prepare the next table to be ready with autograph books and cameras. However, I believe this is a ploy to flip tables faster and increase the number of guests per hour.
Not sure I'd call it a "ploy"... I assume that is exactly why they're doing it, which is a completely reasonable business decision.

If one waits around to meet ALL of the characters at some of these meals, it can take 90min! It never takes us that long to eat. I'd personally rather have the extra 30-45min in the park.

If one waits around to meet ALL of the characters at some of these meals, it can take 90min! It never takes us that long to eat. I'd personally rather have the extra 30-45min in the park.
Exactly! Same here. It never takes us that long to eat either. I'd much rather spend that time in the park. This was a wise decision IMHO. As mentioned before, autographs arent banned from the parks. If you want an autograph that bad, you can go line up to see the character and get anything autographed.

My family books character meals in order to not wait in line to meet characters in the park. So, we may have to change our plans a little if actual signatures are a must for the family.

Hoping characters can sign again in November!
Having the handler get the next table ready wont work if there are 6 children waiting with autograph books. The 6 autographs and pics for EACH child will still take forever. You'd think they would take a nice group pic? NOPE! I've seen on many occasions where each child posed separately for a pic with the character. :headache: And yes, this is to turn around tables faster...or shall I say, this is to avoid guests camping out at tables waiting for characters. Which is what has been done.

I find this to be very disappointing. My dh(6) loves the autograph books. One of the reasons we schedule character meals is to avoid character lines. This is not to the advantage of the customer. This purely Disney turning tables. Any word on TH?

I find this to be very disappointing. My dh(6) loves the autograph books. One of the reasons we schedule character meals is to avoid character lines. This is not to the advantage of the customer. This purely Disney turning tables. Any word on TH?
Again, for ME as a customer, this is an improvement. I don't want breakfast or lunch to take 70-90 min.

Not sure I'd call it a "ploy"... I assume that is exactly why they're doing it, which is a completely reasonable business decision.

100 percent agree here that it being a reasonable business decision. The Mouse is a great business man. Ha.

I will be rethinking character meals, or at least the volume, if they don't sign the book.

My daughter just turned 2 and has gone to Disney several times. Being so young, she loves the characters but one of the only ways she can interact with them during meals is through a hug or handing them her autograph book - and she loves doing so!

Again, for ME as a customer, this is an improvement. I don't want breakfast or lunch to take 70-90 min.
Well, no one is saying that it has to - you could leave before you meet them all whenever you're finished eating.

That must sound crazy - but not getting the "real" autographs is also crazy to me.

Now I know why Piglet was monopolizing my other half for so long...no pics, no autographs! Seemed to me that Pooh and friends enjoyed just spending time with us.

It wont be long before all the character meals are like this i'm sure. It doesnt bother me to much but if this is about speeding up services why dont they just have a photo op as you come into the place that way you get it done and can just eat. On the other hand I like seeing them walk around and the kids excitement too. I think last year at the halloween party Jack and Sally were only giving away pre signed cards and just taking pics.

This is not to the advantage of the customer. This purely Disney turning tables.

I have to believe that 90% of table space at CP (and most other character meals) is taken up by people with ADRs. And the ADRs are spread out such that turning tables faster simply isn't possible. "Turning tables faster" is largely a function of a restaurant seating walk-ins and not people with reservations. I recognize that ADRs are not the same as reserving a speicific table. But in the macro, it isn't really all that different. If a new table of diners is scheduled to arrive at 6:30, the fact that tables occupied at 5:00 are emptying out at 6:00 instead of 6:20 doesn't cause the table to be flipped any faster. All it does it allow the servers extra time to clear and re-set the table. If the purpose behind this new procedure is to flip tables faster, then it stands to reason that there would have to be more ADRs available. Instead of spacing them out on a 90 minute turnover, they would be spaced out on a 60 minute turnover and there would be 1/3 more ADRs available on any given day. So we should now start to see more ADR times available. Are we?

Well, no one is saying that it has to - you could leave before you meet them all whenever you're finished eating.

That must sound crazy - but not getting the "real" autographs is also crazy to me.
We've been to each of the restaurants enough that we DO leave when we're done eating and miss some of the characters.

But I think it's much better to routinely have people be able to see all of the characters over the course of a more normal breakfast/lunch time rather than the meal taking away from precious park time.

"Crazy" not to get "real autographs" from a costumed character... not sure how to file that... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter