New run/walker, giving birth in July, 10k in Jan?

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
So I am trying to set a fitness goal for myself post-baby #3, and I was thinking running/walking a Disney 5k during our January trip was just the ticket. I am a decent speed walker and my standard pace for a mile is about 14/14.5 min; I can maintain that for at least 3 miles easy. I am not a big runner but I can do some decent jogging to pick up the pace if need be. Then I saw the 10k and it was glittering temptingly as a REAL challenge.

BUT for those of you who have given birth and then done one of these... do you think I am insane? I am due end of July, Marathon weekend is in January.

DH has vetoed the 10k, so my lunacy has been prevented.

Well, if you are a lunatic for just wanting to do the 10k, I must be truly insane because I'm giving birth in July and am signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge in February! :)

I'll probably throw in the 5k too, since some other members of our group will be doing it.

But I'm also not a new runner, though only "seriously" been at it for 2.5 years. My post-baby goal is a local half marathon in November. I PRed the same race this past November just a few days after finding out I was pregnant.

Most people can do a 10k within the Disney limits on very little training. Six months is a huge amount of time.

I had major spinal surgery in January of '07 and finished the 1/2 in January '08. I had no real running background and really only started walking seriously because my surgeon said it was the best PT for me. A 10K 6 months after a baby should be NO problem for you. Other than maybe finding the training time.

I'm a beginner as well. What are the differences in the Run Disney races? Which one should a beginner who is out of shape sign up for? The goal is to sign up for one and get into to shape beforehand. I'm on an exercise program now though. There are many options to sign up for on the Run Disney website. I would like to sign up for the January 2015 race, but which one is the easiest?

I haven't any children but I walked my first half marathon in Disney 2012. Then I decided to sign up for the Goofy for 2013. Knowing that I had to train for such a grueling challenge...I did do it. Everytime I would think that I don't want to go out and train...I would think of January. I did do the Goofy...was hard..then I signed up for the Dopey.

So I think you are fine. Once you sign up for it you are committing yourself to train for something. I am sure it will be hard to find the time...but my sil just had her third child and is planning on running a half in the near future.

A little bit at a time and as the time gets closer, your training gets more intense...just to know you can do it...as long as you can do it..thats fine. Plus I think Disney is very forgiving on time.

I think setting goals for one self is a good thing...it keeps you motivated to do something positive.

When you don't feel like doing it...come on here for some motivation and inspiration.

I think you should sign up for it because I think you really want to...so do it.pixiedust:

it sounds like you've been active during your pregnancy which is a huge help! also the fact that it's not your first child will help too. i ran throughout my second pregnancy and in general was much more relaxed after the baby was born. i started running again when the baby was about 4 weeks old (i had a natural childbirth so easy recovery). i just looked at my races and i did a 4 miler when the baby was 5 months and a 10k when he was 6 months....so pretty much your july - january timeline.

BUT, everyone is different - body, baby, your needs, baby's needs. for example, i know some moms who didn't feel comfortable running while still nursing their kids. i was ok, just had to double up on the sports bras and couldn't do any halfs b/c of the timing issues ;)

having a goal of a few races a few months out from when baby arrives is, in my opinion for myself, a great way to motivate yourself. it's also a nice way to get a little alone time on a regular basis.

good luck! and congrats on baby #3 :)

If you follow a training program like C25k (8 week program) or C210K (14 week program) or something else similar there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to be prepared for the 10K or 5k for January. A 14 week program would have you start with 30 minute sessions in the middle of September.

You guys are so encouraging!!! I could only rope the fam into the 5k and since it's all about fun this time I figured we'll do that. Next time, 10k? I'm just thrilled they are all willing to do it with me. I signed our twins up for the kid race too, which makes me feel like a good mom emphasizing fitness early ;) Plus they get mickey ears :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter