• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new rate system for 2008 and 2bdrm. rate for Jan/Feb -- insane!

MichelleB

DIS Veteran
I have been going around and around today for a ressie we were working on for the end of Jan. We wanted to use pts. for 6 nights and pay cash for the remaining 2 nights (Fri. and Sat.). Well, I could only get the night of Feb. 1 for cash and the rate quoted for a 2 bdrm. was $1100 + tx. I then asked about paying cash for 2 other nights during the week because I had to use pts. for the Sat. and they quoted with a member discount $829/night. Has anyone else encountered such ridiculous rates being quoted? These prices are insane. I have never even thought about moving off-site for a portion of our stay, but $3000 for 3 nights in a 2 bdrm. is not going to fly in this house. I'll start using pts for what I can and then move. These prices are insane. We've now booked 6 nights in the 2 bdrm. and 2 regular rooms at BC for the other 2 nights and saved $1600 - course that's dependent on rates that aren't released yet and to quote the CM "will HOPEFULLY be available by the end of Aug." Who can get by with booking reservations without pricing except Disney? But, they'll sure take a deposit. I've been a DVC member for 8 years and I'm starting to get very unhappy lately with how they're handling things. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to call several times to get something squared away because the person you were talking to couldn't seem to help. And now this new pricing that is going into effect but you don't know what those rates will be 7 months before going so you're expected to book blindly. Insane!!!

Sorry, but you have no beef with DVC. DVC has nothing to do with the setting of the cash rates or the availability of those prices.

You're right...other than the CMs that can't seem to understand what you're asking. I've had some CMs today that really tried to help and others didn't have a clue and told me things weren't available to call back within minutes and it was.

You are correct, though, that my beef is mostly with Disney. Disney is my absolute favorite thing and favorite place. That being said, they're changing my mind and I'll start staying less and going elsewhere. I really hate that too, but I'm not going to pay such ridiculous prices.

...(snip)....You are correct, though, that my beef is mostly with Disney. Disney is my absolute favorite thing and favorite place. That being said, they're changing my mind and I'll start staying less and going elsewhere. I really hate that too, but I'm not going to pay such ridiculous prices.
If lots of people do the same (stay off property), then the prices will come down or Disney will aggressively discount. For now, though, it appears there are people who are willing and able to pay those prices.

Increasing cash prices is why we bought DVC - to basically lock in the price of future vacations. Given the rumors that Disney may increase the price of weekend nights (plus I hate to move during my vacation), I'm very glad we have the number of points we need to stay a week without worrying about the Friday & Saturday night points.

I have been going around and around today for a ressie we were working on for the end of Jan. We wanted to use pts. for 6 nights and pay cash for the remaining 2 nights (Fri. and Sat.). Well, I could only get the night of Feb. 1 for cash and the rate quoted for a 2 bdrm. was $1100 + tx. I then asked about paying cash for 2 other nights during the week because I had to use pts. for the Sat. and they quoted with a member discount $829/night. Has anyone else encountered such ridiculous rates being quoted? These prices are insane. I have never even thought about moving off-site for a portion of our stay, but $3000 for 3 nights in a 2 bdrm. is not going to fly in this house. I'll start using pts for what I can and then move. These prices are insane. We've now booked 6 nights in the 2 bdrm. and 2 regular rooms at BC for the other 2 nights and saved $1600 - course that's dependent on rates that aren't released yet and to quote the CM "will HOPEFULLY be available by the end of Aug." Who can get by with booking reservations without pricing except Disney? But, they'll sure take a deposit. I've been a DVC member for 8 years and I'm starting to get very unhappy lately with how they're handling things. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had to call several times to get something squared away because the person you were talking to couldn't seem to help. And now this new pricing that is going into effect but you don't know what those rates will be 7 months before going so you're expected to book blindly. Insane!!!

There are lost of resorts that will make ressies & take deposits before the next seasons prices are set. This is not unusual.

Guess I've never encountered that. I think not releasing pricing until possibly 4 months before the new year begins is crazy. I just will not be staying on property more than I have enough points for from now on. I have enough to stay 6 nights and we were adding an extra 2 nights this trip. Not anymore.

Disney has for as long as I can remember released pricing late. That is true for DL and WDW. You can book a reservation but not with a guaranteed price. Of course you can always cancel if you do not like the price they do guarantee.

I have the same situation for reservations at DL and WDW for next year. Some extra non-DVC travel for 30th anniversary.

And then when pricing is finally released and you're not happy with it, it's too late to do much else. I guess as long as everyone continues to accept their increases, nothing will change. I'm just not willing to continue that anymore. I love DVC and will stay onsite only on pts from now on and will be eating off property more and adding my extra nights elsewhere as I think they're just getting too astronomical on all pricing. I may be the minority, but will enjoy myself just the same without giving all my income to Disney while there.

I recommend that you book back-up reservations elsewhere that you can cancel if you are satisfied with Disney pricing when it is released. That way you have options.

And then when pricing is finally released and you're not happy with it, it's too late to do much else. I guess as long as everyone continues to accept their increases, nothing will change. I'm just not willing to continue that anymore. I love DVC and will stay onsite only on pts from now on and will be eating off property more and adding my extra nights elsewhere as I think they're just getting too astronomical on all pricing. I may be the minority, but will enjoy myself just the same without giving all my income to Disney while there.

Sorry for your frustration. We pretty much use our points exclusively and love the Dining Plan so our $$ stays in WDW. If you book and prices are outrageaous there are tons of things to do, even if airline tix are bought. We booked are air through SWA a couple of months ago for a trip next week and booked a Universal vacation, but had to change that after our friends pulled out. We were able to get in at Saratoga Springs on points and plan to have a great time.

The other reason that the price is so high at DVC properties is that they have a much larger number of DVC members over the last few years. The supply has dwindles for "cash" nights while demand has gone up. Maybe try and get in at a different non DVC resort. Try two rooms at Port Orleans or French Quarter, you may be pleasantly surprised and be able to save a ton of money.:thumbsup2

We currently have 2 rooms at BC since we'll be at BCV the other nights. But if pricing is more than they gave us today, we're moving to the moderates and saving our money. If we deem those pricey for the weekend nights once the changes take place, we're headed off-site and will just enjoy other things in Orlando before we head home. Next time, we'll just not plan to stay the extra nights and only use cash. I know it's a moot point and Disney only listens to large numbers, but I'm just not happy with the prices they are charging and will find cheaper alternatives. I'd say I'd just buy more pts. but we don't normally need more ... this was just a special purpose and we'll adapt.

I feel your pain, I had a similiar thing happen this May, in a one bedroom at BWV's. I needed a extra night. The member discount never became available. I ended up canceling 2 nights at BWV's, one on points and the cash... booked two at Universal on site, for the same amount, as the one cash night, and still had my points. We shifted over and had a wonderful time. :thumbsup2

This is why we usually stay at a moderate on the nights we dont' use points. We crammed 6 people into a POR room on our final night (dd2 counted as the 6th person, so we were legal) to save points. What we try to do is wait for an AP discount for the non-points nights and just use it as an excuse to try someplace like the Poly that we wouldn't normally stay for a full-week.

Whew! I was starting to think I was the only one that thought the DVC units were pricey! I just about had heart failure when the CM told me that the cash rate for Feb. 1 was $1105! If I look at this year's pricing, that's actually what it was for a holiday rate and the season it should have fallen into was $595. I could have stomached the $595, although it's still outrageous, to have not had to move (DH can't stand to move during the trip), but $1100 and DH will have to get used to the idea!

We purchased DVC so we wouldn't have to pay teh high rates for the units. We surmised that buying more points made more sense than paying for some nights. It means we locked in even weekend nights at the price it was 10 years ago!! And the great thing is that it's still mostly pre-paid for the next 35 years! In AKV's case, for the next 50!

Especially now the cash DVC units will be getting scarce because of the increase in numbers of DVC members. Disney can raise the prices even higher so the points become more valuable. Do the math, $5000 for 50 points is 4 to 6 nights of cash rooms! Buy the points & never worry again.

We bought our points with the intention of not moving over a weekend and I'm glad we did. Not worth the hassle to me at all. Check in once and then enjoy my vacation!

Personally I'm glade the value of my points is so high, renters take notice and start charging more for your points. $10-12 a poiint as you can see is nowhere near what it would cost to stay on cash. For all those that would rather stay off site and save money are you getting a suite or just a room. The economy rooms at WDW are inexpensive. DVC suiets are going to be expensive as long as members keep filling them up, it's all supply and demand, as with anything they will not charge more than the public is willing to spend.
For OP check out the rent trade board you may be able to rent from someone for a fraction of what you would pay cash.

We purchased DVC so we wouldn't have to pay teh high rates for the units. We surmised that buying more points made more sense than paying for some nights. It means we locked in even weekend nights at the price it was 10 years ago!! And the great thing is that it's still mostly pre-paid for the next 35 years! In AKV's case, for the next 50!

IMHO that was the main reason to purchase DVC. So complaining about the rates Disney charges seems strange. They sell it as "prepaid" vacations. What the OP has discovered is the VALUE of her prepaid vacation.

Disneys room rates for what they consider "deluxe" accomodations have reached the "absurb" stage. If I am going to pay that much for a room I want TRUE Deluxe service not a 'theme' of deluxe. I have stayed at "true Deluxe" NONE of Disney's Deluxe measured up. I was willing to pay for AKL because it offered a unique expereince (NOT "deluxes' accomodations or service) but NOW I won't have to pay for that either (And if you don't think that that FEWER rooms will lead to HIGHER rates at AKL, you aren't being realistic. Supply and Demand!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter