New Placeholder Extension/Cruise Date Flexibility Program

rere101399

DISmom
I’ve read multiple posts on some of the social media cruising pages that DCL is allowing placeholders to be extended under the new Cruise Date Flexibility Program.
I’m a little confused and hoping for some clarification and feedback if anyone has used this already this week.
It’s my understanding that they will now allow you to use a placeholder between now and August 31, 2020 for travel on a cruise by April 2022.

So I have a placeholder that expires 8/8/2021. I don’t currently have a sailing booked with it. It’s one of the old ones that includes an OBC so I want to put it to good use!

I want to take advantage of the new flexibility program to extend the placeholder to an Oct 2021 sailing. I plan to book Wednesday morning when it opens for silver booking, and the sailing I want to use it for seems to be a popular choice (8 night HOTHS) so time is of the essence for me on Wednesday.

Here is my confusion: the placeholder isn’t currently booked with a cruise. Am I reading it correctly that I first need to book a cruise that takes place before the original expiration date of 8/8/21 and then tomorrow have them cancel that cruise and move the placeholder and OBC to the October 2021 one? I can’t just call tomorrow and use the placeholder directly for the October sailing? Before I go book a sailing today that I don’t intend to keep using my placeholder, I just want to make sure I’m understanding the process correctly?

thanks so much!

I think you'll be OK to call and use the placeholder directly for the Oct 2021 cruise. I just did the same thing today. I had a placeholder that originally would have expired in April 2021. I called this morning and used it to book a cruise in Oct 2021. No need to book an earlier cruise and then transfer the reservation to Oct 2021. I can't promise that your experience will be the same, but I successfully did almost exactly what you want to do. I hope it works out for you!

By the way, I asked what would happen if I need to move my Oct 2021 cruise to a later cruise - would my OBB discount also move to the newly booked cruise or would I lose it? They don't have a policy on that yet, so they couldn't give me an answer.

I think you'll be OK to call and use the placeholder directly for the Oct 2021 cruise. I just did the same thing today. I had a placeholder that originally would have expired in April 2021. I called this morning and used it to book a cruise in Oct 2021. No need to book an earlier cruise and then transfer the reservation to Oct 2021. I can't promise that your experience will be the same, but I successfully did almost exactly what you want to do. I hope it works out for you!

By the way, I asked what would happen if I need to move my Oct 2021 cruise to a later cruise - would my OBB discount also move to the newly booked cruise or would I lose it? They don't have a policy on that yet, so they couldn't give me an answer.
Thank you! Yes that’s exactly the situation I was asking about and couldn’t tell if I was wording it clearly enough. Thanks!!

It’s my understanding that they will now allow you to use a placeholder between now and August 31, 2020 for travel on a cruise by April 2022.
I am curious how this would work for 2022 cruises. Assuming I want to use one of my current placeholders that expires in 2021 for a January 2022 cruise, I can't actually book that before August 31 of this year. I guess I would have to book a cruise for 2021 and then this policy would allow me to move the reservation to early 2022 once those dates have been released and keep my OBB?

I am curious how this would work for 2022 cruises. Assuming I want to use one of my current placeholders that expires in 2021 for a January 2022 cruise, I can't actually book that before August 31 of this year. I guess I would have to book a cruise for 2021 and then this policy would allow me to move the reservation to early 2022 once those dates have been released and keep my OBB?

That’s a great question and isn’t at all clear in the info they provided. There’s no way they’ll be releasing spring itineraries in the next month. Right? Ooh or maybe it’s a hint! Lol! I strongly doubt it.

Reactions: ajo
I just called DCL and after a lot of back and forth I finally understand. My placeholders expire October 2021. To extend I need to book a cruise and depending on the day I book is the day the 24 months begins again. So, I call and book today for Dec 2021 (that' the latest available date), that means I have 24 months from today to use it and I can call back anytime and switch to any cruise up until July 28, 2022.
She said she was not sure how long this offer was going to be on the table so keep that in mind.

Reactions: ajo
Can you do this if your placeholder has already been applied to a cruise? Our OBB expires in April 2021. We had a cruise booked for September 2020 which we moved to January 2021. I don't think the January cruise is going to happen and we won't PIF on it. I would love to move the OBB to a new cruise later in 2021 but I didn't think it was possible.

I just called DCL and after a lot of back and forth I finally understand. My placeholders expire October 2021. To extend I need to book a cruise and depending on the day I book is the day the 24 months begins again. So, I call and book today for Dec 2021 (that' the latest available date), that means I have 24 months from today to use it and I can call back anytime and switch to any cruise up until July 28, 2022.
She said she was not sure how long this offer was going to be on the table so keep that in mind.
The verbiage says the offer is available until August 31, 2020. I’m booking tomorrow morning though so yay!

So if I rebook tomorrow using an onboard credit that would have expired in January 2022, my clock will start over so I would have another 24 months to use it (until late July 2022)?

Am I understanding correctly? Those extra few months would be super helpful.

So if I rebook tomorrow using an onboard credit that would have expired in January 2022, my clock will start over so I would have another 24 months to use it (until late July 2022)?

According to the DCL agent, yes.

The verbiage says the offer is available until August 31, 2020. I’m booking tomorrow morning though so yay!
Can you point me in the direction of this? I can't find it. I have found about changing cruises up to 15 days before sailing but nothing about placeholders.
I'd like to print it out to have on hand....just in case.

Can you point me in the direction of this? I can't find it. I have found about changing cruises up to 15 days before sailing but nothing about placeholders.
I'd like to print it out to have on hand....just in case.
I also looked and can only find information about allowing changes up to 15 days before sailing. Would appreciate seeing the actual language for the placeholders.

If you google Disney Cruise Date Flexibility Special Offer, that is what is being referred to. It doesn’t specifically call out placeholders but rather refers to all new and existing cruises which includes placeholders. I’m going to copy text below that was posted on one of the dcl social media pages I follow. This is not my own text but where I first read about it. Today on my cruise group there have been several people who have now confirmed that they were able to apply this offer to their placeholders. Here’s the post:

Placeholder PSA!!!

So there has been quite a few questions about placeholders expiring. Spoke with a few agents at DCL today and here is what they are saying.

The Cruise Date Flexibility Program encompasses the placeholders. This sentence specifically:

This offer is for new bookings made by August 31, 2020 and existing bookings (within the departure date window)

So to take advantage of this loophole so to speak a placeholder must have an effective date (actually moved to a sail date) prior to August 31, 2020 and have a sail date prior to the expiration date of the placeholder. Once this happens, the sailing falls under the Flexibility program and can be moved up until April 1 2022 and keep the associated discounts of not blocked out.

Example. My placeholder expires 12/6/20. I need to book a sailing by August 31 2020 that departs prior to 7 December 2020. Once I have that done, I fall under the Flexibility program and can move my sailing out to a booking sailing prior to April 1, 2022.

If you google Disney Cruise Date Flexibility Special Offer, that is what is being referred to. It doesn’t specifically call out placeholders but rather refers to all new and existing cruises which includes placeholders. I’m going to copy text below that was posted on one of the dcl social media pages I follow. This is not my own text but where I first read about it. Today on my cruise group there have been several people who have now confirmed that they were able to apply this offer to their placeholders. Here’s the post:

Placeholder PSA!!!

So there has been quite a few questions about placeholders expiring. Spoke with a few agents at DCL today and here is what they are saying.

The Cruise Date Flexibility Program encompasses the placeholders. This sentence specifically:

This offer is for new bookings made by August 31, 2020 and existing bookings (within the departure date window)

So to take advantage of this loophole so to speak a placeholder must have an effective date (actually moved to a sail date) prior to August 31, 2020 and have a sail date prior to the expiration date of the placeholder. Once this happens, the sailing falls under the Flexibility program and can be moved up until April 1 2022 and keep the associated discounts of not blocked out.

Example. My placeholder expires 12/6/20. I need to book a sailing by August 31 2020 that departs prior to 7 December 2020. Once I have that done, I fall under the Flexibility program and can move my sailing out to a booking sailing prior to April 1, 2022.
But that's not what DCL said on the phone about placeholders. What your posting is on the DCL site for sailings booked by Aug 31 however what I said in my previous post was that if I booked using my placeholder today then I would have 24 months FROM today to move the cruise I booked and have it still apply. That gives me till July 2022 and not the April 2022 you quote. Therefore I'm not sure the assumption that the booked Aug 31 statement for placeholders is correct. On the phone they told me there was no guarantee as to when the offer may end for placeholders.
They are both two different things. I wouldn't wait to book on the hope that Aug 31st is the end date but that's just me.

Im
But that's not what DCL said on the phone about placeholders. What your posting is on the DCL site for sailings booked by Aug 31 however what I said in my previous post was that if I booked using my placeholder today then I would have 24 months FROM today to move the cruise I booked and have it still apply. That gives me till July 2022 and not the April 2022 you quote. Therefore I'm not sure the assumption that the booked Aug 31 statement for placeholders is correct. On the phone they told me there was no guarantee as to when the offer may end for placeholders.
They are both two different things. I wouldn't wait to book on the hope that Aug 31st is the end date but that's just me.

I’m booking tomorrow and hope that everything I’ve been reading so far is correct, I’ll report back with my experience.

I haven’t paid attention to the rules, but went ahead and booked (platinum) the 11 day WBTA through my TA who specializes in DCL. I had one unused placeholder on file with them that expired before the start date of the cruise. They used it on the reservation with no problem.

I haven’t paid attention to the rules, but went ahead and booked (platinum) the 11 day WBTA through my TA who specializes in DCL. I had one unused placeholder on file with them that expired before the start date of the cruise. They used it on the reservation with no problem.

Update: When I rebooked this morning (only 3 hours on hold!), I was moving a cruise that I had booked in January 2020. The cast member told me that it extended my window through March 2022. So not 24 months, but it is extended a bit longer. The CM said it was complex based on booking dates, etc. This works for me but just wanted to let you know my experience on this.

I booked a trip yesterday morning under the gold early booking for October 2021 - I recalled last evening that I had a placeholder set to expire June 2021 - I called late last night and was able to apply the placeholder for savings without a mention of the expiration.

I had a placeholder that was/is set to expire in Dec 2020 and I had a cruise booked to use this placeholder prior to it expiring.

In May 2020 - I called and moved this 'placeholder/deposit" to another cruise in June 2021 as I did not want to sail this year with COVID. When I moved my 'placeholder/deposit" to the new June 2021 cruise - I lost my placeholder booking perks - which I expected and confirmed with DCL - they just basically moved my $$ to the new cruise and asked my to pay more $$ because my deposit went from the 10% to 20%...

Last night - I went into my June 2021 cruise as I wanted to upgrade my room from a porthole to a balcony and when I made the move - it looks like I got back my placeholder booking benefits - I now have the 10% off the current cruise price and I did not owe any add'l $$ for the deposit (which I would have at a 20% deposit requirement as the room I moved to was more expensive) so I assume the deposit went back to 10% as well ... Now I just wonder if I will get my OBC back - won't know until we board I guess... Needless to say - I was very happy!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter