yesdnil

#momlife
Hello, all!

I'm a brand new DVC member - new to these boards and a new DVC owner. I've been reading up on Disney's site and Google to try to answer all my questions, but wanted to get some specific answers to help me make the most of my membership.

Planning on booking our first DVC trip for November or December 2019, so we'll have lots of time to plan. Very familiar with Disney Parks planning, but no experience with the DVC side yet (aside from purchasing!)

Please bombard me with all of your advice, expertise, jargon/abbreviation guides, tips & tricks, etc. I'm here to learn. Apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. Thanks so much!

Congratulations and Welcome! You are in the right place!

My first tip: Read up on Banking and Borrowing. Understand these two actions inside and out and add reminders on your calendar for the banking deadline. In doing this you will also encounter the word Use Year -- embrace it and get friendly with it.

Again, WELCOME! I hope you enjoy your DVC for many years to come.

EDITED TO ADD: Link below to my favorite post/thread on Use Year, Banking and Borrowing
Link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/understanding-use-year-updated-april-27-2016.1942668/

Last edited:
And book your DVC rooms as early as possible, especially if you want studios or holiday travel times. Welcome Home, DVC can be great for Disney park destinations, as long as you book early. And, if possible, book your home resort during the 11 month window to be safe, don't assume another resort where you may want to stay will be available at 7 months.

Last edited:
Top thing to know is that busy times for DVC are NOT the same as you'd expect for the parks in general. DVC's busiest season goes from mid-September until the marathon in January, with pockets of higher demand the rest of the year. If traveling in November, book 11 months out, and don't expect to be able to switch resorts at 7 months, save maybe a split stay or a unit at one of the three largest resorts - Old Key West, Saratoga or Animal Kingdom. And even those can be rough in the fall at 7 months.

Thanks for all the tips so far! Definitely planning on jumping on the online booking at exactly my 11 month mark. We bought into CCV, and we love Wilderness Lodge in general, so that's a big part of why we bought in the first place!

I've got a few specific questions:
- When booking a vacation, your points balance reflect how much is left after that vacation, correct? So I'd be able to bank any remaining points at that time without taking the ones I need for the vacation?

- The kitchens I know are fully stocked with equipment/tools, but what about pantry staples like salt/oil? What size is the coffeemaker? Wine/beer glasses?

- I've gathered that peak time for DVC visits is similar to backwards for park visits on general, i.e. more popular during low point seasons. Are there any charts/suggestions/guides for when I'll have best luck making reservations in the future with the 7-month window? Particularly interested in Aulani & Savannah view at AKL

- Any links to other threads to read or sites/blogs to check out would be very helpful!

When booking a vacation, your points balance reflect how much is left after that vacation, correct? So I'd be able to bank any remaining points at that time without taking the ones I need for the vacation?

Yes.

but what about pantry staples like salt/oil? What size is the coffeemaker? Wine/beer glasses?
Yes glasses. No oil.

Are there any charts/suggestions/guides for when I'll have best luck making reservations in the future with the 7-month window? Particularly interested in Aulani & Savannah view at AKL

Aulani it really depends on what you want, and when. At 7, you won't ever get the handful of "hotel rooms" bookable on points, and Standard View can be harder. Early June, before the points go up, and holidays are harder. If you have points enough for a better view, it opens up more.

AKV Savannah is sometimes possible in fall at 7 depending on dates, and is generally pretty available January-August so long as you aren't struct on only wanting Jambo. Kidani is larger with many more units.

At Aulani, I have been successful in booking an OV 2 bedroom one February and both an OV 2 bedroom and an OV GV in September, different years. These have been booked at 7 months, week long stays.

You have to provide your own salt and oil. You get 1 or maybe up to 3 packs of coffee. We use those packs for 4 cups as measured on the coffee pot. We bring more coffee and the flat bottom filters. There are usually a few of the coffee condiment packs that include coffee creamer, sugar and sugar substitute.

After you book your vacation, yes, you can see how many points are left in that UY. You can bank if you are still in your banking period.

Just wanted to add congratulations!!! Welcome Home!! Definitely book as soon as your 11 month booking window opens up!. Understand the cancellation/UY policy too!

We use those packs for 4 cups as measured on the coffee pot. We bring more coffee and the flat bottom filters.

Sorry to be so specific, but are you saying it's a 4 cup coffee maker? Just thinking way ahead and considering grinding, measuring, and individually bagging each day's coffee to make my mornings easier.

generally pretty available January-August so long as you aren't struct on only wanting Jambo. Kidani is larger with many more units.

I've never stayed at AKL but I've eaten at the restaurants a couple times. What are the pros/cons of each section?

Sorry to be so specific, but are you saying it's a 4 cup coffee maker? Just thinking way ahead and considering grinding, measuring, and individually bagging each day's coffee to make my mornings easier.

While I haven't stayed at CCV. I'm guessing the coffee makers are 10 to 12 cup Mr. Coffee-type coffee makers like all the other DVC resorts use. The starter coffee packet that is supplied, through, only makes about 4 cups, any more and it is nothing but colored water. The coffee makers should use the standard flat bottom basket type filters. You will need to buy coffee. It is available at the resort stores, but pricey. I generally buy a one pounds size (well 11 ounces now) can and throw into my suitcase, alone with my coffee measure/scoop and some filters. Unless I have a car, then I pick some up at a grocery store. I also bring a small bottle of laundry detergent from the dollar tree, it does enough loads for my trip, and if there is any left, it isn't much of a loss. If I don't have a car, I get grocery delivery using the Amazon Prime Now phone app (different from regular Amazon Prime) they deliver fresh foods as well as packaged items. If you aren't an Amazon Prime member, there are other grocery delivery services as well.

Last edited:
...If I don't have a car, I get grocery delivery using the Amazon Prime Now phone app (different from regular Amazon Prime) the deliver fresh foods as well as packaged items.

We are Amazon prime members, but I'm debating going to a local grocery store or whole foods and picking up groceries myself. About how far away are the stores?

Each DVC resort I've stayed at has a full size Mr. Coffee maker (12 cup?) with the flat bottom style filters.

We are Amazon prime members, but I'm debating going to a local grocery store or whole foods and picking up groceries myself. About how far away are the stores?
I googled the grocery stores in the area. The closest is Goodings, but it is extremely pricey...think Disney prices. The next closest is Winn-Dixie, 11957 Apopka Vineland Road. Went there once, didn't care for it, personally, many people do like it. Then Publix, which is nice, in the Regency Center, 8145 Vineland Avenue. There are a few other stores showing up on google as grocery stores, but they are convenience stores. There is also a Super WalMart, at 3250 Vineland, south of WDW...but it is rumored to be the busiest WalMart in North America...I was there once, never again, I'd make do with the resort stores over this WalMart...it was just soooo busy, waited to check out for nearly an hour.

I googled the grocery stores in the area. The closest is Goodings, but it is extremely pricey...think Disney prices. The next closest is Winn-Dixie, 11957 Apopka Vineland Road. Went there once, didn't care for it, personally, many people do like it. Then Publix, which is nice, in the Regency Center, 8145 Vineland Avenue. There are a few other stores showing up on google as grocery stores, but they are convenience stores. There is also a Super WalMart, at 3250 Vineland, south of WDW...but it is rumored to be the busiest WalMart in North America...I was there once, never again, I'd make do with the resort stores over this WalMart...it was just soooo busy, waited to check out for nearly an hour.

Didn't Goodings and that shopping center close down, I thought that I read that somewhere.

:earsboy: Bill

Didn't Goodings and that shopping center close down, I thought that I read that somewhere.

:earsboy: Bill

I don't think it is closed yet, in April 2018 they said it would close by the end of 2019 for an expansion of I-4. It will be interesting to see if Goodings rebuilds elsewhere, as that is the only Goodings left, the others were sold off. Since that is the closest grocery and "offsite" Dining location, I wonder if maybe some of the lower end hotels on Apopka Vineland will disappear and a new center built.

Never been to Publix since they don't have them here in TX, but I've heard good things! Do you go to this one for your DVC stays?
Not necessarily for DVC stays, but other stays in that part of the world, absolutely. Publix is pretty reliable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter