• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

new Epcot rope drop sequence

NH-to-FL

DIS Veteran
We went to Epcot for our morning walk today and discovered a new rope drop sequence. We were at the tapstiles at 8:15am and without fanfare they started to let us through at 8:27am.

We were then held with a rope just in front Spaceship Earth. The JAMMitors stopped by and played for about 10 minutes. Then at 8:52am they dropped the rope and we were off towards Soarin'. We walked right to Concourse A but passed on the first flight of the day to wait for the first row, middle section of the second flight.

I have experienced a number of different rope drop sequences but this was a new one to me.

Scheduled 9am opening? If so, great news for me in a month. We are trying for FEP FP so are going to RD Soarin'. I will be sure to get there around 8:10

Wonder what that means for IG entrance. My experience is that guests entering from IG are behind the main entrance guests

At the front gates, they sometimes do what was described by the OP.
Sometimes, they do something else.

The "just-before-Spaceship Earth" is one of the rope drop procedures used over the course of the last 15 years, or so.

Some other times, they will open the gates early and not have any internal ropes.

Again, it can be luck-of-the-draw what happens during your trip.

Last edited:
Wonder what that means for IG entrance. My experience is that guests entering from IG are behind the main entrance guests
At the IG, they do whatever they want, sad to say.

When I went last year, or year before? we were held in 2 main groups, one headed to TT, the other to Soarin'. So we were allowed in past SE. The TT line was almost to the Electric Umbrella.

When I went last year, or year before? we were held in 2 main groups, one headed to TT, the other to Soarin'. So we were allowed in past SE. The TT line was almost to the Electric Umbrella.

Yes.
Just another of the possible waiting locations and procedures.

This past Aug/Sept, I rope droped Epcot through the International Gate at least three times. The day I tried for Soarin, I was ahead of the front of the park rope drop crowd. They were being held at an internal rope as I walk up to The Land building.

What time does the frozen line open?

On a regular 9AM open-time day, figure a line will begin forming a bit after 8AM... consisting of the folks with
8AM breakfast ADRs at Akershus.

On an AM EMH 8AM open-time day, figure a line will begin forming about 8AM... consisting of 78.62% of the folks coming into the Epcot gates.

We have a 8:15 breakfast at Garden Grill and are hoping to 1st ride Soaring and FP TT. Should we reconsider with the different openings?

It's a non-EMH day, 9 a.m. open.

When i was there several years ago the world showcase opened after future world. Is this still the case? If so, can we queue in the world showcase when future world opens or do we have to wait for WS to be officially open?

When i was there several years ago the world showcase opened after future world.

1. Is this still the case?
2. If so, can we queue in the world showcase when future world opens or do we have to wait for WS to be officially open?

1. Yes.
2. However, Frozen Ever After/Norway opens at the same time Future World opens.

1. We have a 8:15 breakfast at Garden Grill and are hoping to 1st ride Soaring and FP TT. Should we reconsider with the different openings?

2. It's a non-EMH day, 9 a.m. open.

1. Nope. Where they happen to hold rope-drop guests that day won't affect what you are doing.
2. OK.

When i was there several years ago the world showcase opened after future world. Is this still the case?
Yes,except for:

ALL of Norway
The QS Restaurant and adjacent Merchandise Shop in France
World Traveler
The Joffrey's Kiosks
"Sometimes" the "kiosks" in Canada and UK will open early

There are ropes between France and Morocco and between Norway and China until 11:00 AM.:)

(France CMs and Guests Throwing "Mickey Confetti" To Open The "Balance" Of WS)
32933330856_6749ca8e06_c.jpg

Last edited:
We did Epcot this morning. Got there at 8am for a regular 9am opening (No EMH).

Rope drop crowd was waiting at the turnstiles so I told wife and sister I'd go to the pass holder entrance and they could get Joffreys. I went to the passholder line and was greeted by a CM who asked if I was an AP and then scanned my band to verify the AP. He then let me through and I scanned my band and entered the park. Same line was used for ADR members.

So me thinking there would be a rope by spaceship earth I didn't think anything of it or I would've told the rest of my group to forget the coffee and catch up..well I got to spaceship earth and there was just a few cms but no rope and everyone who was already inside was permitted to keep going. Once I realized this I called the wife to hurry up and let's go lol.

So while I was waiting, the cms started putting up a rope. This was at about 8:15. So we wound up getting stuck at the rope and only ADR guests were now allowed to proceed. Wound up waiting with all of rope drop until the Jammitors were done and they opened the park about 8:50

So if we would've all been together, us all being annual pass holders could've fully entered the park at 8-8:15 along with all the ADR guests. So us not having an adr we could've went straight to Frozen and been there about 40 min before RD

Wound up getting to Frozen and waited 20 min.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter