New Disney Cruise ship info

Tony M

Remember 1999
Just sailed Wonder and while re-booking onboard (Wahoo!!! :teeth: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: ) we were making small talk while the ressies were being confirmed and I asked "so when's the new ship coming into service?"
"Well...It seems that first 9-11 caused delays, then concerns about the uncertainty in the Middle East, and now it has to do with the Status of the Euro"
It seems that each of this events have contributed to fears in the cruise industry (or Disney) of uncertain return for their investment and the Euro issue mainly affected the construction of the ship at their Italian Shipbuilding sites as they would not get good currency conversion rates, etc. Once the new ship does come into service, it will more than likely service the West Coast. Possibly L.A. port traveling to Panama and Mexico with maybe an alternate route up to Alaska in the Summer.
Also, as to the possibility that there may be a Mediterranean Itinery, you can probably scratch this one off the list too. It seems that similar fears have postponed the actuality of this and in the mean time another Cruise line has actually been trying this route and it has been proven to be very unsuccessful. So Disney probably won't get around to this one anytime soon if ever.

Yeah....we need something here on the WEst Coast. This will be our last cruise from the East Coast as it gets very expensive on air fare alone...for 5 people!

Hope they continue w/ their planning for the West Coast ship!

Tony M,

Disney may not want to do any Med. sailings, but there are plenty of other cruise lines sailing the med.

If you are interested, you can go to www.travelocity.com and see which cruise lines and cruise ships go to the med.

sue

Originally posted by Tony M
and I asked "so when's the new ship coming into service?"

as we were told, there are a number of hurdles that need to be cleared first. after they decide to invest in a new ship and they identify a builder, then it is 2 years from the date they start building. since a builder has not even been identified (as we were told), it is clear that a new ship will not be sailing until the end of 2005 or 2006 at the earliest.

DCL would have riot on their hands if they didn't put their new ship on the West Coast. I heard basically the same thing from some officers when I cruised in Jan 2003. They said the plans had already been drawn up just waiting to get the "thumbs up". They said there would be 1 or 2 additional decks, one of them totally devoted to kids and their programs.

I also agree with tezb, the cost of flying can be high, since I come from Washington State. I got a pretty good price with Alaska on their direct/non-stop flight but had to book already because of the popularity of this flight.

DCL ---- West coast........WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

I'd take a 5 hour drive over a 5 hour flight any time...PLUS - we would be able to cruise every other year...instead of every third.

We've been holding off taking an Alaska-Hawaii cruise hoping DCL will come to the LEFT COAST.

QUESTION - if (hopefully 'when') DCL builds another ship...any ideas what they will name it?

Odds could be in favor of "Disney Dreams"

Rae

If "the powers that be" really monitor this Board the new ship would have to be Disney Dreams! I think there was a thread awhile ago about the name and Disney Dreams came out way ahead.

It has my vote!

:Pinkbounc

Since it would be on the West Coast...how about California Dreamin....OR California Disney Dreamin....(like the song)!

Oh yeah - another Mamas and Papas fan here!

California Dreamin' Disney!
Catchy!

Rae

you got it rae...that sounds even better....switch the words...California Dreamin... Disney! Guess I was also trying to get Disney Dreams in there too....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter