New DIS Board Member with DVC Membership Aspirations

eakehlen

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are planning on becoming DVC members down the road. We have been listening to the DVC Show for a while now so a lot of our initial questions have been answered. Use years, point usage, cost, benefits, etc. Our current laid out plan is to buy 2 contracts (1 resale, 1 direct) hopefully at Polynesian and Boardwalk. I know DVC has promotions for Aulani, Copper Creek, and The Riviera since those are the ones for which they currently have inventory. My wife and I aren't in any hurry though. Our already once postponed wedding is scheduled for this year, we plan on buying a house within the year and start a family. With all this on the horizon we may not be buying till 2025.

How long is the wait for a Polynesian or Boardwalk direct contract typically?

I have a direct contract at Poly that I bought last year during a promotion. We placed the deposit on day 1 and the contract and the points were loaded almost immediately. We had to wait 10 days to close for - that's the law in Florida. The contract closed on day 11, the deed was recorded on day 12. All done. We bought in September, and we used the 2019 points for a vacation the first week in December in a 1 bedroom at the Beach Club - they were able to switch my cash reservation that I'd had for months to use points. We used the 2020 points for a vacation at Spring Break and we're going again in a few weeks. We bought some resale points in early March. That transaction took 57 days from beginning to end. I think mine was one of the faster ones.

The only way Disney can get the points from the sold out resorts is ROFR and then taking the spread on the surcharge. Right now, with no new construction, Disney is doing a ton of ROFR and selling a lot of contracts on the O14. But we have no idea what they will be doing in 2025.

Maybe they'll repaint Yacht Club and be very focused on selling that. Maybe they'll build another beast of a resort near Coronado and offer great opening incentives. Maybe they'll just quit buying whatever resort period and you'll want overpriced resale anyway (like VGC). Maybe the 2025 resort will be better, with the extra points or special tickets or whatever. It could be anything. Who knows?

I'd consider watching like a hawk for the resale you want with some banked points you could rent/transfer. That's a quick way to flip the math for your buy. Buying a good, loaded contract is hard to beat mathematically and puts you ahead from the jump. Maybe not happening right now, as resale is so tight, but that doesn't mean there are none, or that you can't be watching and ready.

The only way Disney can get the points from the sold out resorts is ROFR and then taking the spread on the surcharge. Right now, with no new construction, Disney is doing a ton of ROFR and selling a lot of contracts on the O14. But we have no idea what they will be doing in 2025.

Maybe they'll repaint Yacht Club and be very focused on selling that. Maybe they'll build another beast of a resort near Coronado and offer great opening incentives. Maybe they'll just quit buying whatever resort period and you'll want overpriced resale anyway (like VGC). Maybe the 2025 resort will be better, with the extra points or special tickets or whatever. It could be anything. Who knows?

I'd consider watching like a hawk for the resale you want with some banked points you could rent/transfer. That's a quick way to flip the math for your buy. Buying a good, loaded contract is hard to beat mathematically and puts you ahead from the jump. Maybe not happening right now, as resale is so tight, but that doesn't mean there are none, or that you can't be watching and ready.
@RoseGold has it right...keep watching for a resale to at least get your foot in the door. Loaded is the way to go. Look at it this way, if you buy 100 points resale to start with double points and you get those without MF's, that is 200 x $16+ rental or so right off the top or $32 off PP.

We've done it with small contracts, but a 250 point contract of which 250 were free of MF's and 250 were @ 50% was more than $22.50 PP off the top ($15 PP to rent) and that was a home run. At the time it was about $100 per point down to $77.50.

Best to stalk daily... I was going through resales today and saw I missed a contract which was UA. Too late. Try to be the first one to bid.

Now is the time to do the math, set expectations and see what kind of pixie dust appears LOL! Good luck!

If you have your mind set on a direct purchase, I am sure DVC can ROFR a contract to fulfill your needs such that you shouldn't have so long a wait.

Of course, I agree with others, watch resales and be ready to jump on the deal. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Great3

ROFR is one way Disney gets points for Direct Sales of sold out resorts. Another way is foreclosure, Foreclosure can happen when someone financed and could not pay the monthly payments. Foreclosure also happens for non-payment of dues.

If you are not buying until 2025 then buying direct might be off the table. I can't imagine buying BWV direct in 2025 when the math is even worse unless Disney starts lowering 2042 resorts (which has never happened yet).

At this point honestly unless you planning on buying in the next 12 months I would simply not pay attention to DVC (except to rent points) and come back when you are closer to buying.

Thanks, everyone! Obviously a lot is going to change between now and whenever we join the party. Just making sure I understand as much as I can. My wife and I had a chance to walk through the Riviera while staying at Caribbean stay and were really impressed. We would like to at least keep the door open to staying there by getting some direct. I know that is a hard to book resort though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter