New Credit Card Authorization Holds

The supreme Court the entlyrules that mandatory pooling of tips is illegal, so restaurants that still pool tips are breaking the law.
Interesting.

It has been many years since I worked in this industry but I was on the opening crew for the Outback Steakhouse. Wait staff were required to give a certain percent and that was pooled for hostess, runners etc. They wanted a team approach. Can they not do that anymore? Does it differ by states ?

P.S. I always give cash tip.

I was able to remove cc on file before I did app update. Now the screen under my profile looks different.
Interesting. I've got the app update but only the home page has changed for mine. As soon as you click on anything the next screen looks just like it has for the past few updates now. At least since they added the update that included room charges and bus times. All pages shown under my profile are the same

I couldn't find the answer to my question anywhere in the thread by searching so I am just going to ask. Does WDW charge my card for the remaining balance of my room only stay, plus the $100 hold, on the morning of the day I check in? I did online check in before I was aware of the new policy so they already have my debit card (don't have a cc with a high enough limit for paying the room off). So if my balance is, say $900, they will take the $900, then put the $100 hold on it? I don't plan on using MB for charging anything to my room so this should be all they hold, correct? And morning of my first day, even if I don't arrive until after 4:00 since I did online check in already? Thanks in advance for some help!

I couldn't find the answer to my question anywhere in the thread by searching so I am just going to ask. Does WDW charge my card for the remaining balance of my room only stay, plus the $100 hold, on the morning of the day I check in?

Yes.

So if my balance is, say $900, they will take the $900, then put the $100 hold on it?

Yes.

I don't plan on using MB for charging anything to my room so this should be all they hold, correct?

Correct.

And morning of my first day, even if I don't arrive until after 4:00 since I did online check in already?

Yes.

When exactly do they hit the credit cards with the holds? Just trying to schedule when I need to go to the front desk to give them the gift cards.

Say we check in on the first of the month for 9 nights. What dates will the card be hit? Morning or night? Thanks.

When exactly do they hit the credit cards with the holds? Just trying to schedule when I need to go to the front desk to give them the gift cards.

Say we check in on the first of the month for 9 nights. What dates will the card be hit? Morning or night? Thanks.
Best bet would be night of #4 and #8, others posted the received 2-4am alerts their CCs had been charged on 5th/checkout days.

My credit card was charged in the early morning on the fifth day of my stay. I would go to the front desk on the third night/fourth day of your vacation to pay off a balance with gift cards. Also, I recommend asking for a printout of your charges and credits, just in case something goes wrong.

Best bet would be night of #4 and #8, others posted the received 2-4am alerts their CCs had been charged on 5th/checkout days.

My credit card was charged in the early morning on the fifth day of my stay. I would go to the front desk on the third night/fourth day of your vacation to pay off a balance with gift cards. Also, I recommend asking for a printout of your charges and credits, just in case something goes wrong.

OK. So we're actually checking in on June 30. So, they should be charging my card in the early morning hours on July 4th.

I don't want to go on July 3rd, that's our MK day and we're staying for pm EMH. So, I can go the evening of July 2.

But, then, does the 5 day clock start over again? So, I wouldn't have to go until July 5th? Or, if I do go on July 2, anything I charge to the room on July 3 will get billed to my card early on July 4?

This is so confusing!

OK. So we're actually checking in on June 30. So, they should be charging my card in the early morning hours on July 4th.

I don't want to go on July 3rd, that's our MK day and we're staying for pm EMH. So, I can go the evening of July 2.

But, then, does the 5 day clock start over again? So, I wouldn't have to go until July 5th? Or, if I do go on July 2, anything I charge to the room on July 3 will get billed to my card early on July 4?

This is so confusing!
I’m pretty sure it’s still charged on day 5, so if you charged more after July 2nd the charge would go through on your original 5th day.

I’m not actually sure when the 5th day charge is- is it after 5 nights- which would be July 5th- or on the 5th calendar day you are at the resort- which would be July 4th? I always thought it was early AM after the 5th night, but have to admit I didn’t pay close enough attention to be sure and often we hit the max before that so weee charged then.

Honestly can’t imagine the hold dollar amount on a CC from Disney. Most of my CC holds at a Hilton are 200$. Those rooms range from 160-300. Imagine a 600$ Grand Californian/Floridian room hold‍♂️. Oh well still going to stay at the DLR hotels

I can't remember if this has been asked (and it's probably a stupid question anyway), but will they let you pay off the room charges daily using your credit card instead of a gift card -- before day 5? I'm going to be using a debit card, so I don't want to rack up a lot of holds. I'd rather just go pay down my balance every day or two than have to buy gift cards just to be able to pay down the balance.

I can't remember if this has been asked (and it's probably a stupid question anyway), but will they let you pay off the room charges daily using your credit card instead of a gift card -- before day 5? I'm going to be using a debit card, so I don't want to rack up a lot of holds. I'd rather just go pay down my balance every day or two than have to buy gift cards just to be able to pay down the balance.
Will you be putting the debit card on account? As in, will that be the card you are using to charge back to your room? They will put holds on your debit card, and I don't believe paying down your balance every day will save you from holds. Might not want to put a debit on account for that reason.

Will you be putting the debit card on account? As in, will that be the card you are using to charge back to your room? They will put holds on your debit card, and I don't believe paying down your balance every day will save you from holds. Might not want to put a debit on account for that reason.

I agree. How your bank releases holds can make a huge difference in your available funds. If you are going to use a debit card to pay down the balance, I think I would just pay as I go.

You will get an initial hold of $100 when you check in. If you pay down your balance every night then you won't have more than the initial $100 hold placed on your card - at least that was our experience. We paid our balance every night after dinner and only had the one $100 hold on the card.

I had been considering staying off property for the first time for our October trip and this has pretty much sealed the deal for me. I am a self employed pet sitter and petsitting money pays for our vacations. I deposit all money I make in a checking account and use a debit card from that account to pay so these holds just won’t work for us. If I no longer use my Magic Band to charge then I will just pay less to rent a house with a private pool. Thanks Disney for making the decision for me!

You will get an initial hold of $100 when you check in. If you pay down your balance every night then you won't have more than the initial $100 hold placed on your card - at least that was our experience. We paid our balance every night after dinner and only had the one $100 hold on the card.
Thanks, that’s what is was hoping. And, just to double check, you were able to pay your balance down with a credit/debit card every day? Just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t tell me that they do that on day 5 and not let me do it daily. (I’ve paid my balance down many times, but only with gift cards.)
I agree. How your bank releases holds can make a huge difference in your available funds. If you are going to use a debit card to pay down the balance, I think I would just pay as I go.
I was hoping that, if I never went over the initial $100 hold by paying my balance off every night, that they wouldn’t need to put any additional holds on my account. Hopefully, I’ll have the same experience as Wood Nymph.

I think my plan is to pay for all my TS Dining with either a gift or debit card at the restaurant, and mostly save the charging back to the room for snacks and small purchases during the day. DD likes the freedom of being able to make her own purchases, so I don’t want to cut it out entirely.

This is such a frustrating complication that seems so unnecessarily complicated. I would much rather Disney put a larger hold on my account, and then just subtract the money from there, than these ridiculous hold upon hold upon hold. They really need to get their act together.

On the agent site they answered the question of "How much of holds?"

Under the new policy, on the day of arrival, Resort hotels will place an authorization hold on the card for any balance due on the reservation plus $100 for estimated incidental expenses. If Guest spending exceeds the original $100 hold, additional incremental holds will be obtained automatically. The authorization holds on the card will not exceed the current balance due plus $100.

I'll just use the gift card like normal.

Just wanted to make sure they wouldn’t tell me that they do that on day 5 and not let me do it daily. (I’ve paid my balance down many times, but only with gift cards.)
Ir doesn't matter if it is a credit card, debit card, gift card or cash, they will allow you to pay your balance.

I have never had Disney tell me that they don't want me to pay them when I owe them money. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter