Needed: 35th Anniversary Ideas

mamax2

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. My parents 35th anniversary is coming up this January, and we want to throw them a party, so I'm looking for ideas for:

A) a theme; and
B) a way to work in subtle Disney references (sort of like the hidden Mickey idea)
I can't do a Disney themed party, because I've got to work with my sister and sister-in-law, and I don't think they'll go for it. So I'm asking for your ideas.

Thanks

I just helped with a 25th wedding anniversary party for good friends of ours and this is what we did... Invited the people who were in their wedding party( some they hadn't seen in years so that was fun), had their wedding album out, plus framed pictures of the the 25 yrs together ( family, trips, holidays etc..) around the house on different tables, had their wedding song to dance to, the colors of the party were their wedding colors, throw away camera's for people for to take pictures at the party, and one of my favorites, a nice, resent photo of them, good size, with enough of a boarder so all the guest wrote a well wish for them. Great time had by all! Good luck! :bitelip:

We just celebrated my parents' 50th this summer, and another thing we did, if you or someone has the ability, was make a power point slide show, of old and new pics, with music in the background, it can be as creative as you want, and that would also be a way to insert Disney stuff here and there. My DS and DD worked on this, and it gave us lots of opportunity to talk about Grandma and Grandpa when they were young, as well as myself and my siblings as kids - fun for my kids to do this.

Good luck! :sunny:

mamax2 said:
Hi everyone. My parents 35th anniversary is coming up this January, and we want to throw them a party, so I'm looking for ideas for:

A) a theme; and
B) a way to work in subtle Disney references (sort of like the hidden Mickey idea)
I can't do a Disney themed party, because I've got to work with my sister and sister-in-law, and I don't think they'll go for it. So I'm asking for your ideas.

Thanks

Why the Disney references? Are your parents Disney fans? Do they have a specific memory of Disney that you could evoke?

--If your parents are big Disney fans, then everyone probably knows it. Rather than signing a guestbook, or in addition to signing a guestbook, you could buy a Disney book--a book of animated characters or the Birnbaum's official guidebook--and have everyone sign it, like a yearbook. Guests would pick the page that provides them with their strongest associations of your parents or evokes their own special memory of Disney they would like to share with your parents. I received one of these gifts for my birthday, except it was a collection of fairy-tales, and I just love it. I've also given these types of gifts, and all recipients have been touched. You could complete this in advance, have people sign it at the party, or a combination. Guests love to read it, too, and it often becomes part of the party chatter.

--I like the slide show idea, working in Disney references. The family vacation, a Halloween picture, a child's birthday cake, a photo with a Mickey t-shirt.

--Do they have Disney song(s) that you might play as part of the background music? Cindy's "A Dream is A Wish" is pretty romantic, as is BatB's "Tale as Old as Time" (hope I got the titles close enough).

--Create a scrapbook/photo album with labels that are quotes from various Disney films. The newlywed or new baby years are "A whole new world." A picture of someone dancing or with a particularly memorable expression becomes "Don't forget the importance of body language." Etc.

--You could organize the party as the Wonderful World of XXX [your parents' names], where they have given you and the whole family your very own magical kingdom.

--If you like the idea of Hidden Mickeys, but aren't committed to the Disney thing, maybe create an icon that means something to your family and which could become your parents' unique Hidden "XXX." You know, design a logo that represents your parents' anniversary, one that shows up on invitations. Then you could incorporate that design into various decorations: on a cake, the tablecloth, napkin rings, etc. And you could make it a sort of scavenger hunt/party game, where the person who finds the most Hidden XXXs gets a prize (really good for kids). Or maybe it's not a new icon, maybe it's the family crest? Your parents' intials? Their wedding photo?

--Your parents have been married 35 years...1971, right? That's the same year WDW opened. It's gone through many changes, as your parents' marriage probably has. WDW could become a unifying metaphor for a party tracing your parents' relationship. You could organize a retrospective, moving from the newness of their marriage based in the imaginative, fantastical, and utopian early years (MK); part II would cover the years of growth, as your parents' marriage reflects a time of expansion, of greater cultural knowledge and innovation (Epcot); then, as they are married a bit longer, your parents gain an even more mature understanding of what it takes to make a marriage work from behind-the-scenes (MGM); and now, after many years, your parents are coming to an appreciation for a relationship that becomes more natural and organic over time & one that's more aware of its deep connections to everything around it/circle of life (AK).

Oh, and here's my knee-jerk reaction to the last part of your post. It's your parents' anniversary, a celebration of their lives together, and I'm assuming your folks like Disney based on your post. If that's the case, then your sister and SIL need to suck it up. The party is about your parents, not them, and a celebration which reflects your parents' interests and life is what is called for in this situation. Really, that's one of the things that makes me sooo hot, :furious: when people can't see beyond themselves in situations which call for them to think about others' needs or interests. I can't imagine throwing someone a party (or giving them a gift) that was more about me and my interests than about theirs.

[Of course, to be fair, my comment above cuts both ways. If the Disney interest is more about you and your interests, don't do it. Or even worse, if the Disney connection is pretty unique to your relationship with your parents, or about your parents' relationship with your family/children, emphasizing Disney might inadvertently exclude your sister and/or SIL. If that's the case of the latter, I'd suggest going really minimal on the Disney thing, if at all, and maybe save those memories for a private celebration, taking them out to luch or whatever. The last thing an anniversary needs is a lot of tension which emerges from some sort of unconscious sibling competition to be the best child. I'm sure that's not what's going on in your case, but I'm trying to cover all the bases.]

deekaypee said:
Why the Disney references? Are your parents Disney fans? Do they have a specific memory of Disney that you could evoke?

Wow that was a huge post! I'm not thinking along the lines of doing a Disney theme because its going to be very black tie, and I think my sister, and SIL would agree. But we took a regular family vacation to Disney every year with the WHOLE family, and there are alot of good memories attatched to it. I'll definiatly keep some of your suggestions in mind though. I like the idea of coming up with a symbol and blending it in with the decor. Thanks :Pinkbounc

mamax2 said:
Wow that was a huge post!
Yeah, I tend to specialize in that...actually cuts down on how many posts I can do a day. But to paraphrase Ursula from TLM, it's what I do, it's what I live for! :rotfl2:

Glad you've got all these good family--and Disney--memories to work from for the party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter