Need your opinions. what would you do......

disney6

<font color=red>I DON'T click my hills together! ;
This is what is happening to a friend of mine. I'd like to know what you would do or suggestions you have........

She is a single mom (policewoman, no child support, no alimony) and has scrimped for a 7 day Disney cruise for her and her young (7) daughter. She went to a travel agency, told them she wanted to do the WESTERN cruise in Oct. They told her when, she booked a cat. 11 gty, took off work, bought plane tickets, reserved a room at WDW for 2 days before cruise, got a notarized letter from her ex(apparently like getting blood from a turnip) and told her DD she was taking her on the cruise and to see the Mayan ruins in Mexico (her daughter has a thing for Mayan ruins). She gets a comfirmation letter from travel agent and from Holiday House who they booked it through that says WESTERN cruise. Calls Disney last Friday to book her shore excursions - guess what -- she is booked on the EASTERN cruise!!!!! Called travel agent. They even have her Docs and never told her! They say it's not their fault it's Holiday House. HH says so sorry, too bad, we'll give you a $100 stateroom credit!

What would you do if you paid a couple thousand dollars and your travel agent booked you on a vacation you didn't ask for?

I know the Eastern is GREAT and she knows she's lucky to be able to go on DCL at all, but that's not the point. What do you think she should do?

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I would be VERY upset!
I guess since she is in the 60 day window to book excursions it might be too late to switch?
IF it were me and I had my heart set on a WESTERN and IF I could change my vacation days from work, and IF I could change the airline tickets without it costing too much, I would insist the TA make the change to the correct cruise.If the contract with the TA says WESTERN, then that's what she should get.
The reservations at WDW can be changed without too much problem.

What a crummy thing to have happened! Unless your friend said she wanted to sail specific days and the TA booked her on those days, I can't see any excuse for this kind of error!

Called travel agent. They even have her Docs and never told her! They say it's not their fault it's Holiday House. HH says so sorry, too bad, we'll give you a $100 stateroom credit!

I'm not an attorney (thank goodness), but common sense tells me the travel agent IS responsible. There exists a contract which includes the exchange of money for specific travel arrangements. The contract has not been fulfilled by the travel agent.

Now, as far as what should she do? If the primary purpose of the vacation is to experience the Mayan ruins, then she should demand the travel agent construct this vacation for another time. If it's "now or never," then go on the cruise, accept the vouchers and use Dreams Unlimited next time...

DH is an attorney and I just asked him about this...
He said that if she directed the TA to book her on the western without providing a specific date. (ie for example if she said she wanted to go on a cruise in December without specifically stating a date) and the TA did so and provided her a date then the TA is liable for her costs. If on the other hand she told the TA a specific date (using the December again and said for instance 12/13/03 cruise which actually is an Eastern) the TA could still be held negligent as he or she should have been aware they were booking the wrong itinerary but may not be responsible for the entire trip amount as the person who booked it was contributarilly negligent. He suggests she speak directly to the owner of the agency and see if they are willing to make more of an effort to correct the situation. If the most important aspect of the trip was to go to the ruins than she should insist on having her trip switched!

Well not getting into the fact your friend gets no alimony/child support etc. Lots of laws in effect within Ontario to help with that, as I'm sure she knows if she is a police officer so moving right along :)
Looking at Holiday House itself they are a wholesaler of holiday packages. I don't think you have any comeback on them as they are dealing with the TA directly (Holiday House won't deal with the public as an individual).
If this is within Ontario we aren't as litigous as the U.S. so you do have The Association of Canadian Travel Agents that will work for you in rectifying problems. Their website is http://207.61.131.84/index_en.htm
Take a look at the URL and if no satisfaction with the TA maybe she can proceed on with this.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Grumbo

I hope everything works out for your friend. I would say the one thing this proves is that people should be responsible for things like this themselves. There are so many options out there to check things out that people shouldn't have to rely on their travel agents to know everything. If it was that important to her to be a Western it would have served her well to do a little research and make sure that what they booked her was correct.

Hopefully she can work it out with the agent and all other aspects involved to give her and her daughter the trip they were hoping for.

I'd be very upset...

Then again, on a purchase this significant I would do the research about a specific date I was interested in, Cruise line, stateroom cat.et al and instruct the TA accordingly....

My TA, while he's great,and gives me awesome service, and has alot of experience, knows little or nothing about DCL....

Bottom line,however great a TA is, they don't know everything about every cruise line... do your research or caveat emptor...

I hope all goes well with your friend. I do know, however, that no matter what trip she takes they will have a fabulous time and memories of a lifetime. If she changes the date, then chances are the plane fare is non refundable. I say it is worth a try to press the issue since the Mayan ruins were important, but if it is unworkable, then by all means go for the Eastern anyway. I know many who have had the adventure of a lifetime on that cruise. I wanted to do Western also on our spring break, but noticed it was the Eastern that week. I hate it for your friend that she did not know ahead of time to look at the itinerary for her date, but you cannot go wrong with a Disney cruise, regardless. :D

Thanks for your suggestions. I am meeting her for tea this morning and will pass along the website address (thanks Grumbo). (Yes, I tried to tell her to use Dreams and to research before she booked, even gave her this site but, alas, I am not her mother and can't force her to do as I suggest!;) ). I, personally would never book anything of this magnitude without knowing everything first so you and I are on the same page about that!

I am going over shore excursions with her today also. Like I said, I LOVE the Eastern so am trying to help her see the positive -- great ship no matter what itinerary, extra day at sea, great shopping in St. Maarten, beautiful beaches in St. Thomas, never guaranteed booked itinerary going during hurricane season - so let's pretend there is a monster hurricane swirling around in the Western carribbean(!), reason to book again -- through someone else!!!!!!!!

Maybe they can suggest where to start in order to straighten this whole thing out!

Scratch
:smooth:

What is TICO? (I am a transplated US citizen so am unfamiliar with Canadian "ways"!;) )

reputable TAs and Agencies belong to that help travellers when things go wrong.

Unforntunately cannot find any travel brochures to give you more information.

If I get more info will post.

Scratch
:smooth:

Have her go to www.tico.ca.on, maybe they can help her or advise her of her rights.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter