Need your "FW" wisdom...

VermontTajMahal

Earning My Ears
Please take time to fill me in on the following questions/issues? Some of the questions are STUPID (be forewarned) but sincere!

1) Family of five (10, 8, & 6) first time to WDW together and staying in a log cabin. Where do we want a cabin and why?
2) What special items do we bring for the kids to enjoy FW? We will be there from 12/1-12/7.
3) I have read that there is a ridulously expensive grocery store and then a relatively "normal" priced grocery store outside of WDW. Where is the "normal" priced store and can someone give me directions from FW.
4) Other than the nightly fire and movie what can we do with the children other than tie them up and go drinkin'? Does anyone have a clue whether these events will be continuing in December under current circumstances?
5) Does it make sense to take the boat or ferry from FW to MK and then monorail it over to epcot? I really stay inside WDW to avoid driving and have read repeated posts that the bus system to and from FW leaves a lot to the imagination. Is there a bus internally within FW? If so when and why would you use it? If I rent a golf cart what would I use it for (don't write back and say "golf"?
6) Do the pools warrant our attention in December? Do the pools compare to the ones at the other resorts? Is there a theme for the pool areas?
7) Is the package delivery system available to guests renting cabins?
8) The refillable mug situation... What beverages are included? Where is it refillable? Is it convienent from where the cabins are located to the refillable "area".
9) The "Hoop Dee Doo Review" (can honestly say it is one of the few things I have never done in Disney) is it worth the time and money? Reviews of this dinner show are so mixed that I can't decide.
10) MVMCP...?!!!! All right, I know it is "magical" but at home we get "feet" of snow at a time. There is not much magic in snow for my particular family. Is it worth almost $200 for one night (five hours) when you have been in the decorated parks all day? From what I've read the parks are typically less busy during the day then they are at the night time event and if that is the case then why pay to stand in lines?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Welcome to the board! Love your organized questions!!

#1 The cabins are all in circular 'loops' and all the cabin loops are clustered fairly closely together. If you wish, you can request a cabin close to the bus stop or pool, or you may wish to be more secluded. I always liked all the cabin loops the same--they're great! Have you checked out Jeff Spencer's site for information about FW and the cabins? It has great information and photos, too.

Barbara
211 days to go

#2 Bikes are a favorite, but coming from Vermont you may not be able to do that. We always take a bouncy ball for the kids to play with outside the cabin. The loops have one-way traffic and kids can have a great time playing there. Your kids may want to bring skates or frisbees. There is a basketball court on the cabin loop road. I've seen some real artistry with sidewalk chalk and the younger set may enjoy bubbles. Do you see a pattern--outside activities are a hit! The cabins have a video player, and you can bring the kid's favorite videos. You also get to watch the resort TV channel, and our kids always loved that!

Barbara
still 211 days to go

#3 There are two Trading Posts at FW. They have an assortment of groceries--and really the prices for regular things aren't too awful. Now baby food and formula was ridiculous, but I think you'll be okay there. I don't know the names of roads around FW, but if you see a Publix or a SuperWalmart, stop! They have great prices--cheaper prices than in Tennessee and no 8.75% tax on food, either! And those Publix grocery stores seem to be like mushrooms--they spring up practically overnight :) I'm sure someone who is slightly more local can give you more specific directions.

Barbara
can it really be 211 days to go still?

#4 No one can guess what will happen, but I haven't heard any rumors-so shhhh! Don't give anyone any more ideas for cuts!

Anyway, you can hop a bus and check out the WL. It is a load of fun, and they have a nice arcade. We usually go there and eat at the Roarin Forks, it's their food court. You can check out the lobby there and catch the geyser out back.

FW also has arcades, two of them. One is at the Meadows pool area, and one is in Pioneer hall. You can check out the petting zoo, the barn area where they keep those huge horses that they use in the MK, and catch the boat parade and (sometimes) the fireworks from MK on the beach. Don't forget the hayride ($) and remember--FW has several playgrounds scattered throughout the campground.

Barbara
you know the drill

#4 Drive or take the bus to Downtown Disney. Explore the area a bit, especially the Lego store. Walk over to the West Side and do DisneyQuest. If you have UMPS tied to your resort ID then you have the price of admission to DQ.

Funny - I had the same stupid questions. Must be all of us Vermonters think alike. Thanks for the post and all the great answers.

Tim.

#5 Take the Bus over to the Ticket and Transportation Center and catch the Epcot Monorail there. BTW if you **just** miss the big launch when you want to do a MK day and the small Contemporary launch is at the dock hop on that, go to the Contemp and either hop the resort Monorail or take the footpath to the MK.

#5 Golf carts are wonderful, and it's always a must-do for us. They are a lot of fun, and will make it possible for you to really check out the campground. On the buses you won't be able to go around the camping loops, and you'll want to check out the decorations that the campers put out! They really do a great job decorating--just watch out, camping at FW can be addictive!!

With a golf cart you can also skip catching the bus at your loop and just catch the bus at the Settlement area or the boat to MK. There are parking areas at the Settlement bus stop and at the marina. No, you probably wouldn't save any time catching the boat and then the monorail. The boat ride is pleasant and senic, but not speedy. Just catch a bus to the TTC and there is a monorail stop there. Lots of people drive themselves, and you can park free at the parks. The bus routes are continually being 'tweaked' so you will need to check the posted routes at the bus stops. But FW is big, so you will want to use the buses or a golf cart to get around.

Barbara
211 to go but it was 212 yesterday!

#6 Sorry, the pools are nice but not especially themed. There is a pool in the area for the cabins, and another, larger one and a kiddie pool at the Meadows area. I can't help you with the temperature thing, cause we've only been once and it was later in December and they were having an unusual cold snap.

Barbara
211 days to go unless you are across the International Date Line and then it's either 210 or 212

#7 Last time we used it, the packages were delivered to the Meadows Trading Post. You can check this information upon checkin.

Barbara
211 days to go but I made it through Halloween and Christmas is tomorrow, right?

#8 We get our mugs refilled at the Trails End, during their serving hours. They have fountain drinks and pink lemonade (Yum!) and tea, I think. Oh, yeah, I'm from the South so that might be iced tea to you. They probably have coffee (yuck!) too. The Trails End is at the Settlement area, so it would not be really convenient to the cabins-unless you have a golf cart. I've heard that you can get refills of coffee at the Meadows Trading Post, but have no personal information about this.

Barbara
211 days to go--is it too early to start packing?

#9 If you have to ask, then probably it's not worth the money. We did it once, and it was thoroughly enjoyed by all. We probably won't do it again until we have some people who haven't done it and really want to. I think the money would be better spent on the golf cart.

Barbara
211 days to go but my sister says she could have that motorhome ready in 30 minutes!

#10 Haven't ever done this or MNSSHP, but I will the first chance I get!

Hope these answers help, and ask again! Like I said, camping at FW is addictive. We started out in a cabin.......Stayed in them 6 times and got a motorhome so we could go more often, and take the dog!

Barbara
211 days to go and I want to live where the weather suits my shorts!

I love FW but hate the buses. Rent a golf cart to get around, FW is BIG. Besides they are fun.

The pool was nice, no theme, but fairly large. We went in August so I don't know if it is heated.

We really liked MVMCP. Lots of characters and it was a great way to get into the Christmas spirit. Don't know if I would spend $200 on tickets though, we only had to buy 3.

Thought I'd give you my opinion on MVMCP. My family has been twice. The first time was in 1999. It was great! They were limiting the number of tickets sold. We also went last December. We were very dissappointed!!!! They obviously weren't limiting the tickets. The crowds were the worse I've ever seen and we are annual pass holders so we go often. It was a miserable experience. We ended up leaving around 10:00 to escape the mob. I can think of many better ways to spend the $200.00 at WDW. Have a great trip!

For the most part i will be repeating what Barbara has already said, but i differ slightly on a few items....

1.) she's right on the location - they are mostly all in the same general area, can't realy get a bad one.

2.) I say bikes - if you are flying, you may want to consider renting them. My 6 year old couldn't stay off of it. wanted to be on it exploring the campground all the time, got mad when we wanted to go to parks 'cause he had to get off the bike. They are also a cheaper alternative than the golf cart as a mode of transportation to get you from your cabin to the activities, stores, eating places and marina. (we only have a family of three though, the 30 some dollars a day for the golf cart may be cheaper than renting 5 bikes though.) We felt the bikes added to the FW experience.

3.) We did all of our grociery shopping at the WalMart Supercenter at 4444 West Vine Street in Kissamee. It is aprox 12 miles off Disney. It is only an option if you will have a car with you and want to go out driving. From FW exit main entrance. Follow signs for 4/192. Follow 192 south or east (sorry can't remeber what directions 192 runs, but you will only have one of the two options) Stay on 192 and it will turn into Vine Stree (192 is also called Irlo Bronson Mem highway i think) The SuperWalMart will be on your right - very large, clean, good selection and inexpensive. BONUS: There is a Sonic Burger drive up burger joint across the road from WalMart. Great, cheap, filling lunch. You can eat in your car (just like in the 50s) or they have tables under a pavilion. I love having that tray hanging from my open window!

4.) No clue as to what the future of these and other events may be. Hayride is an option as well as viewing the Electric Water Pagent from beach at the Marina. This sort of ties in with your #9 question....We always do the Hoop Tee Doo. For us it is a great evenings entertainment and dinner combined. Opinions are like....well, you know, but in our opinion the Hoop Tee Doo is a must do each visit. We let go and have a blast and consider it worth every cent. ANOTHER BONUS: I always knew that you got a 10% discount if you booked the 9:30 HTD on your American Express, but at the window while picking up our tickets the CM asked if we were staying at the Fort and asked for our site number. He told us that it is a little known fact that a bonus to the Am Ex 9:30 deal, FW guests get and extra 10% off. We got a 20% discount on the 9:30 HTD. Total went down to less than $100 for two adults and one child including great show, grub, taxes and tip.

5.) For us it made sense to take the boat from FW to MK or the Contemp and catch the monorail. We think the boat rides add to the "vacation" feel. There are internal busses at the Fort (crocket and boone - not sure which goes where - the info is on these boards somewhere) but we didn't use them. If you do take a boat somplace and get stuck (boats start running at least and hour before MK opens (maybe more) and stop 45 min after the close of MK) the busses run late and you can always get back to FW somehow. The CM's that work in the various transportation locations are great about creating an alternative route for you back to FW. About your golf cart question....Well, i have already mentioned that i prefer bikes, but bikes or golf carts...you need a way to get around FW. It is huge and getting to pools, playgrounds, stores, eateries and activities would put alot of miles on your feet before or after you hit the parks.

6.) Never been to WDW any later in the year than October (just returned). Even with the unseasonably warm snap they had while we were there we only hit the pool once. As Barbara mentioned...the FW pools are nice, but just a pool. No fancy stuff (even the pools at the All Stars are more "fancy".

7.)Yes. they deliver your packages to the Meadows Trading Post within a day. You can pick them up there.

8.) Can buy one at Trails End. Can fill up there with coffee, fountain sodas, iced tea and lemonaid. Can also fill up on morning coffee at the Meadows Trading Post. (a must stop every moring for my DH.) Cabins are at one end of the campground, Meadows is in the middle and Trails End is at the other end. Keep in mind, this place is at least a mile long....not a short walk to get a refill, but a nice little short adventure on your bike or golf cart. When we stayed at the all stars our refillable mugs were the only drinks we needed during our stay. very convenient. At FW, you can not rely on the refillable mugs for all of your beverages, but i don't think it's meant to be. We stocked the mini fridge with drinks we got at the above mentioned Super WalMart.

9.) Already praised the HTD above in #4. For me to gush further about it would be a shameless show of lust for this event!!! (Ya gotta go. The cash is worth the fried chicken(the best i have ever had) and watching my 6 year old practicly pee himself laughing at Six Bits singing his "piggy" song.)

10.) Can't help you there - never been.

Hope some of this helps - you'll have a blast! I know we did. (so much so we are going back twice next year)

- lori

Sounds like everyone has gave you some great advice. I'm one of those that say the Hoop Dee Doo is a MUST! especially with kids that age. At the very least it's a must do once.

Cheryl

PS to Lori.... Hwy 192 runs east and west. the easiest way to always remember is that odd numbered interstates and hwys run north and south and even numbered runs east and west.

for example when we left WDW last week going to Port Canaveral to catch the Disney Wonder, my DH told me to go north on I-4. I told him I-4 doesn't run north and south to which he had to defensively say that it does right there. ;) I love it when I'm right. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter