Need your creative help:wrapping a dog's ears

yoopermom

Come join Bravo by the fire...
Our bluetick hound (picture a dog the size of a lab, but with bassett type long ears) has had problems with the tips of his ears bleeding and not being able to heal. The vet today gave me medicine and pills, but wants me to "somehow" immobilize his head so he can't shake his head (breaking the clots and causing the ears to bleed again). Vet suggested tube sock with toe cut out, slip it over head, and tape it down, well that might work on a chihuahua, but Archer's head is too big for any normal sock! We tried using gauze pads and vet wrap, but he hated that, too. So, what would be stretchy (but wouldn't cut off his circulation) that we could slip over his head?

They make "dog snoods", and I'll order one if need, be, but there must be something "around the house" that would do the same thing?

So far it's dog 1-owner 0!

TIA!
Terri

How about the cut off leg of a sweatpant? Or maybe some lycra pants? Good luck. I know my dogs wouldn't stand for something being on their head. My boxer had a panic attack when the vet put the cone of shame on her when she was fixed.

I was going to suggest the dog snoods. There are many dogs at dog shows who wear them and they don't seem bothered by them.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could sacrifice the bottom part of a leg of a sweat pant, then just run elastic through the cut part?

I'm headed down to the big city later in the week, and am hoping one of the pet supply places there will have a "real" dog snood.

This is a VERY mellow dog, so I think if I can make it loose around the ears but tight enough to stay on, he should tolerate it.

Thanks both of you!

Terri

Sweat pants might be too loose but maybe yoga pants would work. Poor fellow, to have to suffer the indignity or it all... :rotfl:

Take a pair of nylons and cut the legs off so you are just left with the elastic part that goes around the waist and belly. Use it like a headband to keep the ears down. we use them all the time as a head cap to go underneath wigs.

When our lab had a bad cut on the lower edge of his floppy ears, we had the same problem - how to keep him from shaking his head / ears and start the bleeding again. The vet wrapped the floppy ear lengthwise around a big piece of gauze or cotton so that that it looked like a wrapped cigar hanging down. Then they gently pulled the ear behind the head and taped it to his collar (the ear wasn't pulled tight but it was secure and they used quite a bit of tape). It worked well and the ear healed quickly, once it was secured like this.

Good luck!

thank you all!!!

I NEVER would have thought of the tummy part of the nylons! Mine would be a little big (ahem), but I have skinny friends! Interesting, too, about how the vet wrapped yours, plutopony. Mine's very worried about keeping the blood flowing (through the ear, obviously not out).

I'll take pix when I get it worked out and try and post. He's so patient he wore a party hat (complete with rubber band under the chin) at DS's last birthday!

Terri

They don't still sell those knit leg-warmers from the 80's do they? :woohoo:

When we do surgery on a dog's ear, we fold the ears up over the top of the head and tape around the whole head like a bonnett. Unfortunately, most dogs manage to get them off after a day or so.

Oh my gosh, I still HAVE a pair of light blue legwarmers from my 1983 Christmas present from my first boyfriend:lmao::rotfl2: !!

MickeyMouseGal, I sure wish you were closer to wrap up poor Archer. I think I'm pretty good at it, but so far he's pulled any regular wrappings off within the hour...

(And, no, I'm NOT going to post pictures of my legwarmers...)

terri

I actually had to look up what a snood was, and the first thing that came to my mind was also legwarmers. Lordy - I am aging myself:lmao: I used to own some of them.

To the OP - while I feel sorry for your furbaby, and I really do hope his ears heal quickly. Please...post some pics of this!

Oh my gosh, I still HAVE a pair of light blue legwarmers from my 1983 Christmas present from my first boyfriend:lmao::rotfl2: !!

MickeyMouseGal, I sure wish you were closer to wrap up poor Archer. I think I'm pretty good at it, but so far he's pulled any regular wrappings off within the hour...

(And, no, I'm NOT going to post pictures of my legwarmers...)

terri

I would love to help you, but a few hundred miles is a bit far for a house call. ;)

OMG, you have to post a picture of him in your vintage leg warmers! :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:

I LOVE Kentucky, MMG, so maybe this could be an excuse for a visit;) Unfortunately, we're in the UP of MI, so more like 12 hours from you, most likely.

Poor Archer is sleeping with his paws over his head like he's embarassed about how we're discussing him!

Terri

How is your baby doing???

We are still waiting for pics:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter