Need tipping advice for Tiffany Towncar

anne930

DIS Veteran
What is an appropriate tip to the driver from Tiffany Towncar for each leg of the trip between the airport and the Yacht Club and back? We are two adults, don't have a lot of luggage and don't need a grocery stop for this trip. The fare will be $80 minus $5 coupon. Thanks so much!

15% is customary, just like in a restaurant.

Thanks so much for the info. 15% of $80 is $12.00 - would that mean $6.00 each way or $12.00 each way? Last time we had a different driver on the trip back to the airport.

DH and I used Tiffany last year. We didn't use the grocery stop, either. I tipped the driver $10 each way. You pay for the entire cost, though, on the first leg of the trip.

I always tipped $10 each way for good service. I figure they do more than a cab driver, they have to wait for you in baggage claim, a cab you just walk up to.

We also tip $10 each way when we use Tiffany. I always split the tip because you can get a different driver to return to the airport.

We also tipped $10 each way. Just before we left, I read a couple horror stories about drivers not helping with the luggage and I was determined not to tip well unless we received good service. We got great service with much help loading and unloading luggage, friendly conversation without being obnoxious or overbearing, a grocery stop, etc.

Well worth a 25% tip!!

Peggy

I tip $10 each way, plus an extra $5 if we make a grocery stop.

That's for a towncar, I double it for a limo.

Anne

We have 4 adults and 4 children plus luggage. There are three parts to our trip... from airport to hotel, from hotel to Port Canaveral with a grocery stop, then from Port Canaveral to Airport. I was thinking $20. 00 for each leg. The total for all 3 trips is $255.00. Would $20.00 each way be appropriate? By the way we will be using a Van..

Thanks

Personally I think that's a bit low. I'd go at least $25 each way--it sounds like there's a lot of luggage for the driver to handle. And the hotel to PC leg I'd probably go to $30.

Anne

Originally posted by lmcastelli
We have 4 adults and 4 children plus luggage. There are three parts to our trip... from airport to hotel, from hotel to Port Canaveral with a grocery stop, then from Port Canaveral to Airport. I was thinking $20. 00 for each leg. The total for all 3 trips is $255.00. Would $20.00 each way be appropriate? By the way we will be using a Van..

Thanks

$20 for each leg is a total tip of $60 for a $255 tab, or 23.5%. This is perfectly adequate, even generous, IMHO.

Peggy

I think we are getting carried away with the amount of the tips - but I don't know how much they actually get paid and how dependent they are on the tips. A server at a restaurant only makes $2.00 +/hour, so we usually give 15% for OK service and 20% for good service. Maybe we should think of the towncar tip in the same way - I'm not sure each leg should be equal. For example, if the driver who picks you up from the airport has to wait a long time for your flight to arrive or makes a grocery stop, etc. I think he should get more than the person on the return trip who has a particular time to pick you up, doesn't have to pay to park and doesn't make an extra stop. I think that's the way I want to handle it. If anyone has any knowledge of how much they actually make from the fare, I would be interested. Thanks so much for all the input.

I look at it this way--when they pick you up a tthe airport, it's at least an hour of their time from when they meet you as you come down that elevator until they get you to your hotel. Eight people is probably at least 10 bags, that's a lot of luggage that they need to handle.

When they take you from the hotel to the port plus a grocery stop--that's at least 2 1/2 hours of their time...plus again a lot of groceries and such.

On the way back it's again at least 2 hours of their time--they'll be waiting at the port for you, load the bags into the van, etc.

Especially from the port they can't combine the trip--so they're driving either out of back empty.

If there were only two of you, then yes, $20 each way might be fine. But you have a large party with a lot of luggage and two "deadhead" trips.

The shuttle driver at the airport gets $1-2 per bag--for driving you and fifteen of your new best friends ten minutes between the park and ride and the terminal. A cab driver generally gets 15-20% of the fare, PLUS $1 per bag. You're suggesting less than that...and the service you'll receive will be a LOT better!

Anne

Personally I think that's a bit low. I'd go at least $25 each way--it sounds like there's a lot of luggage for the driver to handle. And the hotel to PC leg I'd probably go to $30.

I actually asked Tiffany when I made the reservations. They suggested 20%. $20.00 is actually more than 20%, but it didn't seem like enough to me either. Since I was once a waitress I think I tend to want to over tip a lot of the time. I know what it is like to work for tips.
Thanks for all the suggestions...

Only a few more hours now!!! :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter