Need Suggestions for a 50th Wedding Anniversary Gift

jiminy14

DIS Veteran
My next door neighbors will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony and luncheon. I am at a loss as to what to give them as a gift. I would prefer not to give them a cash gift but rather something that would be a little more special.
I would appreciate any suggestions that you may be able to give me. Thanks!

After 50 years together, they pretty much have every nick knack and keepsake there is. You could make them a date night basket with maybe GC cards for the movies and dinner out would be cute, or a picnic basket with plates, napkins, utensils, and then a gift card to a local BBQ place.

Since that is a Golden anniversary, I'd do something with gold or use gold ribbon. Look in the mall for the etching places and pick some small piece to personalize and give that with a gift card or movie tickets or other.

Magazine subscription?
Does your state have a magazine?.. that would be a good one to give.
Are you familiar with their interests and could choose one that corresponds to something they do?

NC has a magazine called Our State, which is a real gem.

I couldn't resist making a comment since we celebrated ours last August 2014!

I collected antiques and have much glassware etc....please no nick knacks............ I am a huge DISNEY fan...we go several times a year...would love a gift card and husband is a avid golfer.......

or would love g.c. to a restaurant....
I also do not like flowers......

large or small amount on gift card..........let the people pick what they want........just sayin....

My next door neighbors will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony and luncheon. I am at a loss as to what to give them as a gift. I would prefer not to give them a cash gift but rather something that would be a little more special.
I would appreciate any suggestions that you may be able to give me. Thanks!

I would go with something like a gift card for dinner, tickets for a show, etc. I would try very hard to avoid anything knick-knacky because virtually every person I know in that age group is trying to declutter and downsize, and the last thing they want is more 'stuff' to deal with.

Please don't give them any "thing". My parents had their 50th 10 years ago and the last thing they needed was more stuff no matter how cute or thoughtful it may look like. We had to move lots of music of the 50's CDs they never opened and things with 50th on them still in the box. I would go with a popular restaurant gift card or tickets to an event they would like to attend.

A gift certificate to a favorite restaurant would probably be appreciated more than "things". By this time in their lives they are probably trying to get rid of stuff.

My parents 50th wedding anniversary was on June 19th. I had a surprise brunch for them a few days before with about 53 people. The gifts they got included cash, gift cards for meals from places such as Applebees and other local fancier type restaurants. Most cash gifts or gift cards were for $50.

They also received two 50th Anniversary picture frames and one 50th Anniversary Precious Moments.

The most unique gift they got was a oval wicker basket (not very large) with everything gold themed inside. So the gift giver put two Marigold Plants (now in my dad's garden), a small pack of golden oreos, golf fish crackers, small package of golden raisins, small package of golden grams cereal, small bag of roll gold pretzels. etc. I thought it was a great gift, all items could be used and not sitting around as dust collectors, and not very expensive to assemble.

Chrissy

My mom and dad had their 50th anniversary in 2011. They got some '50th' picture frames a stuff. I don't think I've seen them out yet. They got gift cards for dinners out. They appreciated those.

I gave a "bouquet" of flowers in a vase but the flowers were made out of money that equaled $50.00 for their 50th !

I vote for the restaurant gift card.
Or ... my in laws received a set of personalized 50th bath towels that she still uses even tho it has been several years.
I vote no for picture frames....they got so many it wasn't funny.

Does the couple like to travel? Perhaps a gift certificate for a bed & breakfast.

Do you know if they have a favorite charity? If so, you could just make a donation in their name to it and put a note saying that in a card.

My father was beginning to fail health-wise by my parents 50th (although most didn't know), and my mother had started having dementia problems (again, not known yet to most except for the immediate family), so even gift cards for things like a dinner out weren't particularly useful - the reality was that they didn't go out often at that point, and almost never without one of us kids involved. For the 50th, they really just wanted to celebrate their anniversary with family and friends, gifts weren't needed or expected.

One other idea, if you just have to give a "thing", would be something like a nice bottle of wine or champagne, if you know that they drink. My parents always appreciated a good bottle of wine even in the depth of health issues! LOL

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter