• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some advice..

mbb

<font color=green>Wishin' & Clappin' & always Beli
Our boys are 9 year old twins, diagnosed with ASD at age 3.

They're in the same class, with a TA/SPA working with them and 2 other children.

They don't require one-on-one help anymore, but still need reminders and assistance during transition times.

Next year, the school will have 2 grade 4 classes.. one a regular grade 4, and the other a grade 4/5 split.

There will be TA's in both classes, so no worries there..

The school is encouraging us to separate the boys (it's the loosely practiced policy to separate twins if possible), and they feel that the boys are ready for it.

They're also willing to move them back together if things don't go well - we're really lucky to have the administrator we do - she and her staff are wonderful.:)

We just started Zoloft for the younger of the 2, for anxiety and depression...and so far, things are good:thumbsup2

DH and I agree that the separation would be good for them...but can't make ourselves say yes.

I need to have some help in rationalizing this out!!:teeth:
I think the momma in me is worried for her babies "all alone" in a classroom;)...and dealing with one teacher is sooo much easier - what we implement for one, if needed, it's easy to do for the other child.

Any thoughts????

Thanks for reading -
:sunny:

I teach and over the years have had many twins in my class. Somethimes they were split, but often parents want both children in my class. It has worked fine both ways.

I cannot see just putting them in different classes just to be splitting them. If one is dominant and inhibiting the others progress--that's a good reason. If they compete with each other--that's a good reason. If they don't get along--that's a good reason. Otherwise, do whatever you feel in your heart is right for your children.

:) :)

It's never easy to let go,,I know,,

I think you have the perfect opportunity to truly enjoy through your sons
their experience as individuals . It's wonderful that the school is so receptive to change if need be. Yes two teachers but you have two sons--right. The parents of my twin boys in my class were amazed at how much they(parents) actually compare the two (we staff noticed this ) and we (staff) really view them as two great unique individuals. How do your sons feel about the situation?
Grade four is such a social blossoming time--they will still probably see each other at recess ,lunch and other times during the day.
We are designed as parents to protect and love and I know it's hard to let go.
But maybe this is a baby step in that life long growth plan we all have for our kids? I know it probably doesn't feel like a baby step right now .
But your their mom and by the sounds of it a great one so you'll make the right decision for them.

Hugs Mel:goodvibes

I don't have kids, but want to say that I don't think split-level classes are good. I was in one back when I was in 1st grade (a split 1/2 class) and it was not good for me (and we didn't know my born-with-it special needs were special needs back then, including Sensory Processing Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, and a learning disability, even though I had them then).

I heard the school canned the idea of the split class either after that year or the one after it. I'm surprised to hear schools are still doing them after all these years.

So, anyway, IMO, I think the more pressing question should be whether or not to put one or both of your kids in the split class.

Thanks everyone:goodvibes

We're going to do it.

We were concerned about the split class as well, but doing this will mean that both classes will have less than 16 kids in them..with a teacher and 2 full time TA's in each class makes for pretty great ratios, and we're really pleased with the teachers for both.

We were told this information just today, and our school administrator thought it would help us with this decision.

Isn't it funny - moms are always the last ones ready for change:teeth:

:sunny:

I have to share that my experience as a student in a split classroom was excellent. I was in a split 4/5 classroom and it was a great blend. It provided a great deal of enrichment for advanced students and also allowed children who were not as advanced in the fifth grade levels to have peers to relate to. We functioned as one class and it was also a smaller group compared to the typical class size which allowed greater teacher/student time. I also student taught in a split 1/2 classroom and found the same positive results. I agree that your twins need to have an opportunity to spread their wings and fly solo. In the school where I teach, we rarely place twins in the same room. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter