need Plano, Texas info

missypie said:
If schools are important to you, make sure you confirm exactly what schools your neighborhood feeds into...they may not be the closest ones. I don't know if it's still the case, but a few years ago it made the news that some of the neighborhood schools were way over crowded, so kids who lived close by had to go to schools farther away.

Plano is suburbia with a capital S. Subdivision after subdivsion, strip center after strip center, restaurant row after resturant row, apartment complex after apartment complex. If that doesn't appeal to you, try some of the other Collin Co. communities such as McKinney, Allen or Frisco.

(We were in Plano last Saturday for a gymnastics meet...at the gym where Carly Patterson, Holly Vise and Nastia Liukin train. Normal gym in a strip center, but it was still pretty cool to think that the floor on which my DD was competing was the floor where Carly practiced!)

I agree. Our house was in an older part of Carrollton. Right down the street from Farmers Branch. The kids in my neighborhood went to elementary school just down the street in Farmers Branch, but went to a Carrollton middle school. I heard the elementary school was excellent, but my neighbor had some concerns about the middle school.

That's cool about the gymnastics meet. We always drove by Bart Connor's gymnastics academy in Oklahoma on our drive back to Iowa. Always thought that was neat.

I remember reading about a private school in the area that caters to these kids that are heavy into competition sports. I remember thinking how expensive it was also. I wonder if that's where they go to school?

malibuconlee said:
Willow Bend in Plano HOuse

Here you go, tell your friend he could live here. :rotfl2: Yep, there are ***really*** nice areas of Plano and some just regular areas too. I think a couple of the local sports stars live in this development.

ha..ha..ha.... thanks malibuconlee !!
I will definitely have to show him this one and see how he reacts ...

Wish this was my home..yeah right!... only in my dreams !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I lived in Carrollton growing up, a suburb west of Plano. It was a nice area and looking at houses in our old zip code (75007) they seem affordable to me. Austin is more expensive per square foot.

Things to look at when considering a house: PROPERTY TAXES!! We do not have a State Income Tax, so all things are funded via property and sales tax (which is 8.25% - pretty comparable to many other states). I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in Austin and pay almost $600 per month just in property tax. Many of our friends have found they bought houses they could not afford because taxes were higher than they expected they would be. Heck, if I could do it over again I would buy something cheaper or outside the city limits.

The big thing to realize in Texas, and why public transit isn't a full transportation solution, it things are spread out! I am 12 miles from work, DH is 18 miles from work. Our closest place to buy groceries is 5 miles away. As goofy as it sounds, things are big and spread out here. Everyone drives, most households I know of have one car per adult, many have one car per licensed driver.

I'm happy to answer any general questions too, it has been a while since I lived there but we have remained familiar with the area.

Where were you? We were just SW of the Beltline/Webb Chappel intersection. About 2 miles each way and we were at 35 or 635.

I think our zip code was 75006. Must have been close!!

disneyred said:
oh.
I guess most families have at least 1 car then.... since you cannot rely
on public transit.... I know in some other cities... public transit is heavily used ... does not seem that its the case here.

The "city" is far away from Plano. As one poster said Plano is suburbia on steroids! In fact the "Dallas Metroplex" is just that. Suburbia after suburbia forever...Then you have land on the outskirts. I live in Flower Mound on the edge of "country".
Two cars are a minimum but some have 3. That is because driving here in Texas is a BIG DEAL. You get to know your car as there are lots of people and lots of traffic. When something ends, it is really funny, everyone leaves in a HURRY!

As far as housing, the further north you go the more house you will get. I really would take a look at Frisco if I were you, or even McKinney.

We live not too far from Plano.. in Rowlett. My husband works very close to Plano in Richardson.

We are a part of the Garland school system and there is open enrollment here.. so if you aren't thrilled with your neighborhood school you have a great chance of getting into another one.

Rowlett is a really nice town.. not a bad commute to Plano.

We aren't nearly as large, nor do we have the bigger city problems..more of a home town feel..yet close enough to everything.

ahutton said:
I lived in Carrollton growing up, a suburb west of Plano. It was a nice area and looking at houses in our old zip code (75007) they seem affordable to me. Austin is more expensive per square foot.

Things to look at when considering a house: PROPERTY TAXES!! We do not have a State Income Tax, so all things are funded via property and sales tax (which is 8.25% - pretty comparable to many other states). I live in an upper middle class neighborhood in Austin and pay almost $600 per month just in property tax. Many of our friends have found they bought houses they could not afford because taxes were higher than they expected they would be. Heck, if I could do it over again I would buy something cheaper or outside the city limits.

The big thing to realize in Texas, and why public transit isn't a full transportation solution, it things are spread out! I am 12 miles from work, DH is 18 miles from work. Our closest place to buy groceries is 5 miles away. As goofy as it sounds, things are big and spread out here. Everyone drives, most households I know of have one car per adult, many have one car per licensed driver.

I'm happy to answer any general questions too, it has been a while since I lived there but we have remained familiar with the area.

a big thanks to everyone that has offered their insight/info/tidbits here !!!

Now regarding property taxes... how can one get a clear picture of what they would be ...is it based on the evalutation of the house then multiplied by a number ??)... is it related to how much the house was purchased ??, etc..

Just interested to know how I would be able to calculate the property taxes of a house before deciding to buy one.... TIA.

Collin County

Here's a link to Collin County (which is where Plano is). The other way to know is the Realtor will have the information with any listing they have or show you. It's easy for them to pull it up. The thing to remember is the current owners may have exemptions you don't qualify for. Like the house we have. The previous owner had Veterans exemption.

Texas county information

Here's another link for you.

malibuconlee said:
Collin County

Here's a link to Collin County (which is where Plano is). The other way to know is the Realtor will have the information with any listing they have or show you. It's easy for them to pull it up. The thing to remember is the current owners may have exemptions you don't qualify for. Like the house we have. The previous owner had Veterans exemption.

Texas county information

Here's another link for you.

wow,
thanks for the links.. don't think this could have been found easily...
I printed this entire thread so far and passed it on to my friend...
boy, was he impressed... this is the kinf of info not found on any website and the kind of stuff he wanted to read.....

Another question he wanted to ask : are they alot of new construction (meaning housing) going on in Frisco.. it was something he heard from a colleage)..how big an area is Frisco ??

There was quite a bit of new construction when we were there. There were several new developments just West of Frisco in The Colony that we looked at.

new home builders

That link has information about new home builders in the Dallas area. I suggest he contact a Realtor in the area. Certain builders are considered better than others and their homes more desireable in resales. A local Realtor will have that kind of information. I don't recall which ones were considered better.

We lived near Josey Ln. and Frankford Rd. I went to Dale B Davis Elementary and North Carrollton Junior High. Every couple weeks my best friend and I used to ride our bikes down to Mazzios Pizza for lunch and video games. You were close!!

Some of the home builders that work in Texas and have website:

Pulte Homes
DR Horton Homes
Lennar Homes
Plantation Homes
KB Homes

If they buy new, that is where you really have to look at taxes because the rate listed may be the rate for an unimproved lot, rather than a finished home. Taxes are calculated on the improved value, less eligible exemptions. I believe our assessed value is now in the $220,000 area, and our taxes in Austin (Travis County) are $6500, give or take. That gives an idea of what to expect. Figure another $100 per month for homeowners insurance too, it could be higher or lower depending on home value, contents value and how much liability insurance you buy.

Gotta tell you all that areas of Carrollton are in serious decline! 75007 NORTH of Hebron is still good. 75006 is scary in lots of places along Beltline between Coppell and Addison. South of Beltline along Josey is scary, too, over into Farmers Branch.

We used to live near Marsh Ln. and Rosemeade. It was Dallas city, Denton county, but just a block east of Carrollton and a block west of Plano in 75287. There are some nice homes around there that are pretty affordable, but the apartments around there are getting REALLY nasty. I wouldn't buy a house there because 1) crime is escalating and 2) property values are going to drop. I would also avoid buying a house near any sort of big empty lot because you never know what they are going to build! There are notices for proposed changes to zoning ALL the time, so what may be residential today could be commercial tomorrow.

Willow Bend in Plano is lovely. ;) That's where my anesthesiologist and his wife (an OB/GYN) live. I think maybe some Dallas Cowboys live over there, and a couple of PGA golfers.

My neighborhood in Carrollton was changing. It was a mix of people that had been in their homes since they were built in the 60's, kids who bought their parents homes they grew up in, and a growing hispanic population. We never had any problems, and our neighbors were all great.

disneyred said:
Another question he wanted to ask : are they alot of new construction (meaning housing) going on in Frisco.. it was something he heard from a colleage)..how big an area is Frisco ??

Yes, it is the new "hot" spot. BUT.....be careful when you buy. Don't overpay in Frisco.
So much new construction, that people are having a hard time selling their properties for what they are worth.
Frisco has new schools, new mall, new IKEA store, new stores galore. We drive to Frisco to shop sometimes.
Traffic is a nightmare, but traffic is bad everywhere in Texas.

For what it's worth - and I'm NOT voicing my opinion but just adding at FYI -

Friends of DH from work were transferred to Plano. While they liked many aspects of life there, there were appalled that Christmas wasn't allowed to be celebrated in the schools.
While true in many systems nationwide, it was way over the top and wasn't just about giving religious stuff.

Can't remember everything but they couldn't say Merry Christmas, couldn't have room parties with anything red or green (like plates, napkins, cookies).

The issue went to court but I didn't hear an outcome, anyone know?

mafibisha said:
While they liked many aspects of life there, there were appalled that Christmas wasn't allowed to be celebrated in the schools.

Not to be wierd but "Christmas" is not celebrated in most public schools.
I imagine that was specific to the school.
Dallas Metroplex is a mix of many, many cultures. We love it here.

The only story in the news about Christmas and Plano is this:

A boy went to school with candy cane shaped pens for his classmates. Attached to the pens was a very Christian message about the shape of the candy cane signifying a shepherd's crook and the stripes being for the blood of Christ and so forth.

Parents of his non-Christian classmates were VERY upset that this type of material was being distributed inside a public school - violation of separation of church and state.

The school thought it would be a nice compromise to allow the boy to hand them out on the sidewalk but NOT inside the school. Well, his parents decided it was a violation of his free speech rights so they sued the school.

Now it goes back and forth. Every time there is a ruling somebody files an appeal and round and round we go.

My DS is in Dallas public schools. They talk about all the different winter holidays. Last year the dad of a Jewish student came to talk about Hannukah and he handed out little dreidels. As far as I know there was no uproar. Of course a dreidel is a toy, not a religious symbol.

I am not sure how strict Plano schools are, but if they are extremely strict you can see how that happened. Their district is spending wads of money on legal fees so these parents can fight about free speech vs. separation of church and state for elementary kids.

I don't know if this will help you gauge the cost of living or not, but I just moved out of a 1200 sq ft apt., 2-bed, 2-bath (garden tubs), gated & next to a golf course.

We were the first ones to live in it & the rent was $650 a month. Granted that's a good deal around these parts, but hopefully that will help.

jackskellingtonsgirl said:
I am not sure how strict Plano schools are, but if they are extremely strict you can see how that happened. Their district is spending wads of money on legal fees so these parents can fight about free speech vs. separation of church and state for elementary kids.

Wow, thanks for the update / clarification.

While I can truly see both "sides" of the issue, I think its really sad when they're not even allowed to say "Merry Christmas" OR use red and green paper products.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter