Need Mara at AKL Reviews.

MickMan

DIS Veteran
Anyone have a review of Mara at AKL? What is it like? How is the food? Fair prices of not?

Thanks!:bounce:

Mara is their counter service restaurant -- their "food court". For a food court, it's pretty good -- it has some interesting hot dishes that are African in nature, plus the usual assortment of burgers, chicken fingers and salads. The cost is very much in line with all the other WDW food court prices. About identical with those at the All Star food courts. I think WDW prices at food courts (particularly the "grab and go" sections) are pretty high, but whatever -- you're on vacation.

Mara is a food court. The food was good, and the cheapest selection you will find in the lodge.

Also its great to go and grab a quick breakfast before heading to the parks, or a snack while sitting by the pool.

The door to Mara is right next to the pool.

If you are staying on the Zebra Trail you can take the Zebra Trail elevator down the pool and walk the 10 feet to Mara for snacks or drink refills.

The Refillable mugs are purchased at Mara and are refilled there.
So if you plan to hang out at the pool, bring the mugs. ;)

Hope this helps!

Cindy in NY

Sorry, but we didn't care for Mara. After an overpriced, unimpressive breakfast there, we restricted ourselves to simply refilling our coffee mugs at Mara and ventured elsewhere for meals.

To be fair, though, ALL the food court breakfasts at every resort were overpriced and unimpressive. It wasn't just Mara.

You're right, Musicfan, that all the food courts offer overpriced and unimpressive food. I didn't mean to single out Mara.

We were at AKL for 2 weeks in April and ate at the Mara a lot! We loved it there. You order your food and get drinks and stuff yourself and then your food is brought out to you either inside or at the outside patio. They have everything from chicken fingers, burgers, pizza, fries, fruit, salads, donuts other baked goods, african stew and lots, lots more.

One thing I learned is don't hesitate to ask for something prepared differently then on the menu, they were VERY accomodating with this! One night they even made my DD a grilled cheese and it's not even on the menu! lol.

It was always VERY clean and they have Disney movies playing for the kids.

HTH! If you have more questions, just ask!

We stayed at AKL 10 days ago and we loved the Mara! For fast-food counter service, we found it very appetizing. Then again, we're not the pickiest of eaters, either, and it's not like the food is superb, but everything we had was above-par in the taste catagory. They do have a wide array of foods for breakfast and lunch/dinner. BTW, we all really liked the french toast that was covered in cinnamon. Plus, for Disney, it's not all that expensive...especially when you consider that it's a quick and easy meal that allows you to move out to the parks faster!

RyMickey

Mara is an excellent food court as food courts go. Atmosphere is above average, food is above average, and prices are average for a food court restaurant. I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it or to make a point of eating there, but it is just fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter