Need lots of help - at the parks Friday 12/9

JeannieNM

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,
I am taking my niece and her friend to the parks this Friday. I have not been in years and do not understand how the fastpass Max etc works. I used to run around collecting fast passes. I will not be riding most of the rides just the girls. Please how does it all work? I am swamped between now and when they arrive so I can take all of Friday off. Any help would be appreciated, links, explanations, hints, you name it.

Thank you

If you're prepared to pay the $10/person for Maxpass, it's way more convenient and totally worth it.

1. As soon as you scan into the park, regardless of whether the park is open yet or not, open the DL app on your phone.
2. In the main screen of the app (tap the Mickey icon at the bottom to get there) there will be a section titled "My Plans" and underneath that, "Get Maxpass."
3. Open that, and it will ask you to scan the barcodes on the tickets you are buying Maxpass for.
4. It will go through the whole $10/day charge and bill the cc on your account.
5. After you've paid, then you can "Book Fastpass" in that same "My Plans" section. You choose the tickets that want a fastpass, choose a park, and then it will give you a list of all of the available Maxpass rides and the return times. You click on a ride/return time, it will ask you to confirm you want that return time, you say yes, then under "My Plans" it will now show a fastpass for that ride/return time.
6. With Maxpass, you can book a new FP either when the return time window for your next booked fastpass opens, or 90 minutes later (not the 2 hours that paper fast passes have to wait.) So to leverage this the best, look for quick return times and book a couple of those in a row, and then book one that has a further return time. I.e. a few weeks ago, we went and got a 9:25 return time for HM, at 9:25 booked a 9:30 return time for BTMRR, and at 9:30 booked 10:30 return time for SM. If you're doing hoppers, you can do the same thing regardless of park, but you can't hold passes simultaneously at each park like you used to.
7. To get onto a ride with FP you have to scan your actual park ticket (either paper, or on the phone.) In our experience, the paper ticket in a clear ID holder on a lanyard was a lot faster at the scan checkpoints than a phone. They do not accept or issue paper fastpasses anymore.
8. If a ride goes down that you're holding a fastpass for, it will automatically convert to a "Multiple Experience" pass which is a general fastpass you can use for about anything - you'll see the ride options listed (usually excludes RSR, maybe GOTG, whatever.)

You still have the option to do paper fast passes like normal, but Maxpass is 100% worth the money especially if you have a lot you want to do in one day. If you personally aren't riding rides, you may not want to pay for Maxpass, but it will make coordinating a little more difficult if you want to ride a FP ride with them (you'll need a paper fastpass for same return time.)

Once you see it it's fairly self-explanatory!

Hi Everyone,
I am taking my niece and her friend to the parks this Friday. I have not been in years and do not understand how the fastpass Max etc works. I used to run around collecting fast passes. I will not be riding most of the rides just the girls. Please how does it all work? I am swamped between now and when they arrive so I can take all of Friday off. Any help would be appreciated, links, explanations, hints, you name it.

Thank you
Another tip is to take a picture of the barcode for each ticket. If the ticket is lost or there's a problem your picture can help to resolve things.

For $10/ticket MaxPass is well worth it. It saves so much time not to mention energy.
For one day, being able to get a new MP in a 90 minute window and not the 2hour as the original FP's is so nice.

In what free time you do have, familiarize yourself with the Disneyland app. The more you use it the easier it gets.

If you have questions at the park, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out.
Be sure your cell is fully charged. I also take a battery pack so I can re-charge if necessary.

The weather Friday look nice. Have a fun time.

I'm a little confused by a couple of things in this response. lcp9, Can you clarify for me?
If you're prepared to pay the $10/person for Maxpass, it's way more convenient and totally worth it.

1. As soon as you scan into the park, regardless of whether the park is open yet or not, open the DL app on your phone.
So you're saying to go through all the steps of attaching MaxPass to each ticket before you go through the gates? Not actually booking a MP?
I was under the impression no one could acquire an actual MP for a ride until their ticket was scanned into one of the parks for the day.

2. In the main screen of the app (tap the Mickey icon at the bottom to get there) there will be a section titled "My Plans" and underneath that, "Get Maxpass."
3. Open that, and it will ask you to scan the barcodes on the tickets you are buying Maxpass for.
4. It will go through the whole $10/day charge and bill the cc on your account.
5. After you've paid, then you can "Book Fastpass" in that same "My Plans" section. You choose the tickets that want a fastpass, choose a park, and then it will give you a list of all of the available Maxpass rides and the return times. You click on a ride/return time, it will ask you to confirm you want that return time, you say yes, then under "My Plans" it will now show a fastpass for that ride/return time.
6. With Maxpass, you can book a new FP either when the return time window for your next booked fastpass opens, or 90 minutes later (not the 2 hours that paper fast passes have to wait.) So to leverage this the best, look for quick return times and book a couple of those in a row, and then book one that has a further return time. I.e. a few weeks ago, we went and got a 9:25 return time for HM, at 9:25 booked a 9:30 return time for BTMRR, and at 9:30 booked 10:30 return time for SM. If you're doing hoppers, you can do the same thing regardless of park, but you can't hold passes simultaneously at each park like you used to.
Nice example for everyone to use.

7. To get onto a ride with FP you have to scan your actual park ticket (either paper, or on the phone.) In our experience, the paper ticket in a clear ID holder on a lanyard was a lot faster at the scan checkpoints than a phone. They do not accept or issue paper fastpasses anymore.
In October we didn't use MP.
The FP machines issued a paper FP with the time info it had tied to our ticket.
This paper FP was only for info, to use FP at the ride the CM scanned our ticket.

8. If a ride goes down that you're holding a fastpass for, it will automatically convert to a "Multiple Experience" pass which is a general fastpass you can use for about anything - you'll see the ride options listed (usually excludes RSR, maybe GOTG, whatever.)

You still have the option to do paper fast passes like normal, but Maxpass is 100% worth the money especially if you have a lot you want to do in one day. If you personally aren't riding rides, you may not want to pay for Maxpass, but it will make coordinating a little more difficult if you want to ride a FP ride with them (you'll need a paper fastpass for same return time.)

Once you see it it's fairly self-explanatory!

Another tip is to take a picture of the barcode for each ticket. If the ticket is lost or there's a problem your picture can help to resolve things.

For $10/ticket MaxPass is well worth it. It saves so much time not to mention energy.
For one day, being able to get a new MP in a 90 minute window and not the 2hour as the original FP's is so nice.

In what free time you do have, familiarize yourself with the Disneyland app. The more you use it the easier it gets.

If you have questions at the park, I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out.
Be sure your cell is fully charged. I also take a battery pack so I can re-charge if necessary.

The weather Friday look nice. Have a fun time.

I'm a little confused by a couple of things in this response. lcp9, Can you clarify for me?

Yes -
You can’t book a MP until you’re in the park, which is why I said “as soon as you scan into the park” meaning “going through the turnstiles and having your ticket scanned.” But, the park doesn’t have to be open (I.e. your tickets are scanned but you’re standing at the ropes, OR you’re scanned into DL but DCA isn’t open yet.)

And yes, the paper FP machines do spit out a “receipt” of sorts, but I was just clarifying what they give you will not give you admission to a ride :)

Thank you. I just want to make sure I got this.
1) I need to buy 3 maxpasses if we all want one and I can do this from the app on my phone?
2) I can control all 3 maxpassss from my phone?
3) the girls use there actual park tickets as fast passes?
4) I can be comfortably sitting some where and don’t have to be riding with them for them to use their max passes?

Thanks

Thank you all for your help. It’s much appreciated. Icp9 that was a lot and thanks for sharing. I just want to make sure I got this.
1) I need to buy 3 maxpasses if we all want one and I can do this from the app on my phone?
4) I can be comfortably sitting some where and don’t have to be riding with them for them to use their max passes?

Thank you all for your help. It’s much appreciated. Icp9 that was a lot and thanks for sharing. I just want to make sure I got this.

1. If you all want max pass, yes you need to buy one per ticket - so $30. You can still get PAPER fast passes per usual, but coordinating times between your paper and their digital might be tough.
2. Yes! It’s super easy. You just click a check mark by each name and book all 3 at once
3. yes!
4. Yes!

One last question. If I do not buy one for myself can I still control their max passes from my phone? ( for $10 I think I will just buy it but trying to understand my options)
Thanks

One last question. If I do not buy one for myself can I still control their max passes from my phone? ( for $10 I think I will just buy it but trying to understand my options)
Thanks

Yes! The Disney account doesn’t matter, you just have to have a Disney account with a cc attached and then that account pays for Maxpass for whatever tickets are attached

Thank you. I just want to make sure I got this.

Thanks
You mentioned you haven't been to the parks in years.

One thing you might consider, is to go through the line with them to see the ride que.
Many if the line ques are nicely detailed to the ride theme.
If it's a type of ride you're not interested in riding, the CM at the loading platform can point you towards the exit.

The Disney Imagineer's are so creative!!

Geemo

If we have Maxpass and are in Disneyland can we get fast passes for a California Adventure? Or do we physically have to be in California Adventure to get fast passes for example Cars.

Last edited:
If we have Maxpass and are in Disneyland can we get fast passes for a California Adventure? Or do we physically have to be in California Adventure to get fast passes for example Cars.
Once you have scanned in to either park, you can book a Maxpass or FassPass for DL or DCA.

This where MP is so nice compared to going to the FP machine to pull a FP.

Don't forget about the PhotoPass that comes with the MP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter