Need ideas for the 19 year old College student who has everything! (girl)

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
Not only does she seem to have everything, but she seriously doesn't NEED anything. Older teens these days work and buy what they want. She is the only child on her mom's side and in the end - there's not much she longs for. It's not her fault - just the way it is with a divided family situation I guess.

I still feel that Christmas should be special to her though, and when she's with us (every other Christmas) I don't wany my younger two ages 8 & 10 to open gift after gift with her not having much to open up. It's a dilemma I deal with year after year, but it get's more challenging as she gets older.

I am at a loss for what to get for her. Any ideas appreciated. TIA.:confused3

BTW, she is not that forthcoming when asked what she wants. She can't come up with much!!

A pair of fun comfy slippers.
jewelry...a special charm bracelet
Restaurant Gift Card
Money Tree...small tree decorated with $5 bills or gift cards to McDonald's, Starbucks, etc.
Tickets to the theatre
Nice purse or tote bag.
Kindle
Hobby Specific Items...sneakers and heart rate monitor for runners, cookbooks for a cook, etc.
Sweatshirt for a favorite college or sports team.
AAA membership if she has her own car.
Goody Basket filled with her favorite treats that she may not buy for herself.

Hope this helps!

College students long for $$$. If you want a present to wrap useful things would be the way to go. Wrap a box with snacks, crystal light packets, candy, ect. You could also buy things like hair ties and headbands, every girl needs those.

iTunes giftcard
Gift Certificate for a store so she can get an interview outfit for job hunting. (may be a year or two too early for that, but maybe it is the right time?)

What are her passions?

If she is into painting, crafting, scrapbooking: materials for those activities

Restaurant and movie giftcards. I know that at that age, I was seriously coveting "going out" and that type of gift would have been quite useful.

Memory book of childhood? (I asked for this as a college graduation gift from my dad and stepmom as they seemed to have a better archive of my baby photos where my mom kept losing various pictures over all of our moves.)

Money for a spring break cruise or whatever her travel interest is

You say she has everything--itouch, kindle? Does she really have everything?

If she has an iPod, iTunes GC.

I loved Godiva chocolates--those were always a yummy gift for me.:goodvibes

Is her school a major venue for concerts/shows? Check to see what is coming to the school and get her tickets for one of those? (My school had a basketball arena used as a concert venue and a theater that did have traveling Broadway series and other acts.)

Sometimes--as people age and truly learn needs from their wants, it is time to think outside of the box and think of gifts that would speak to that person.

My mom always wanted a list--and it is so hard as you get older and start really understanding that you are becoming independent and then when you finally are independent, to create that wish list. I am always afraid to come across as greedy. My husband's family required lists for years and every single year, I did not like doing it. (Part of that was that for years, no one got anything off of it, but year after year, I was bugged for that darn list.)

Anyway--so if someone is absence of any need, then take that as an opportunity to indulge them with some of the little things in life that makes them :goodvibes.

I would give her a little set from Bath and Body Works or a store like that that she may like and then one of those Gift Cards from Visa or American Express that can be used anywhere. They can be bought at Duane Reade or any mall I believe.

My DD19 is the same way so we make gifts events. Tickets to concerts, plays, hotel weekends for the girls. Christmas last a few months that way.

Pajama pants/lounge pants. I just turned 21, and my family got me dachshund pajamas to match our new dog! Best gift of the year (the pjs, not the dog, haha). Not everyone is a fan of the matching pajama sets with the tops and bottoms... but you wear pajama or lounge pants whenever you can in college.

If you posted your budget for this gift it would help to point you in the right direction. If shes in college you could get her gift cards to local restaurants etc. If she into makeup maybe something from Sephora a girl can never have to much lipgloss. Honestly if you could find out her interests that would also help you out. She may appreciate something inexpensive that would be meaningful.

Not only does she seem to have everything, but she seriously doesn't NEED anything. Older teens these days work and buy what they want. She is the only child on her mom's side and in the end - there's not much she longs for. It's not her fault - just the way it is with a divided family situation I guess.

I still feel that Christmas should be special to her though, and when she's with us (every other Christmas) I don't wany my younger two ages 8 & 10 to open gift after gift with her not having much to open up. It's a dilemma I deal with year after year, but it get's more challenging as she gets older.

I am at a loss for what to get for her. Any ideas appreciated. TIA.:confused3

BTW, she is not that forthcoming when asked what she wants. She can't come up with much!!
I got my niece the VB All in One wristlet for her graduation and filled the credit card slots with gift cards for her favorite eateries. The wristlet has a window for her student ID, a pouch for her cell phone, zippered section for change and a clasp for her car keys or doom key. College kids don't like to carry a big bag everywhere that they go and this is a nice compact carry all for their most essential things.

Well, I'm a 19 year old college girl, so I'll tell you some of the things that are on my Christmas list this year, and hopefully that will give you some ideas :goodvibes

I'm asking for:

a chamilia/trollbeads type bracelet, and a few beads.
clothes.
shoes.
Pajama pants (pp was right- my friends and I wear our pajama pants and sweatpants all the time around the dorms!)
Bath and Body works
Victoria Secret PINK lotion
movies (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1&2, POTC 4, and a few other newer releases)
books (maybe read some summaries for newer releases and see if there's anything she might like?)
new slippers
giftcards for restaurants near her school (chipotle, chick-fil-a, etc.)
giftcards to her favorite stores
make-up
Itunes gift cards
gift card to the movie theatre
vera bradley ID cases are great, as are the wristlets.
purses

My parents always complain that I don't give them enough to buy for me, since they're divorced and I have to make two seperate lists. I always have a hard time coming up with one list, and coming up with two is even harder!

A kindle or an amazon gift card if she has a kindle I had this problem with my niece so I got her the kindle for college graduation and now just give her amazon gift cards for all holidays and bdays so she can get books! She loves it

My DD19 is the same way so we make gifts events. Tickets to concerts, plays, hotel weekends for the girls. Christmas last a few months that way.

For people with "everything they want or need", I also lean towards event or experience gifts. Also a good idea for people who just do not want more "stuff". This will be the 3rd year in a row DH and both adult DS get Giants football tickets. I also have given a pair of Broadway tickets, etc. Spa gift certificates too, they sell discounted ones at Costco.

One year my husband wanted money to buy something...so I got him his favorite junk food and with each one I attached cash. He unwrapped Chex Mix and attached was a $5. Stuff like that. I even got sneaky with a few things...I opened boxes from the bottom, put money in, and then glued the box shut again. He opened his Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal in January to find cash in the top of the cereal box!

I got my niece the VB All in One wristlet for her graduation and filled the credit card slots with gift cards for her favorite eateries. The wristlet has a window for her student ID, a pouch for her cell phone, zippered section for change and a clasp for her car keys or doom key. College kids don't like to carry a big bag everywhere that they go and this is a nice compact carry all for their most essential things.

Great Idea - this would be a perfect gift for the teens as well!

How about something Vera Bradley. They have great shower totes that you could fill up or a nice laundry totes. Ugg slippers?

Food: a box of really expensive chocolate, or gourmet cheeses, one pot coffee maker and lots of coffees, Starbucks gift cards

Gift Cards: gas, movies, subway/Jimmy Johns

Does she live in a large city: membership to: zoo, art museum...

School Color Clothes, socks, jammies, pencils, pens notebooks (these could make nice little stocking stuffers.....

Top of the line sheets

Stuffed animal that is super cuddly. In college every single one of my friends had a special stuffed animal.

Make-up gift cards are a great idea! You can always use new colors.

When she is with you make a last minute run to the mall to pick up a few things for your boys. While you are together ask away about what she eats, make-up she likes.... then you can run out later and buy those gift cards. I know it's a pain so last minute, but you'll get her things she really likes.

Maybe you could Facebook her and ask about a Pandora charm bracelet?

I love the idea of family photos or an album. Could you frame a couple of nice family photos for her?

I like the idea of the Vera Bradley wristlet with gift cards. I am 26 but still act 19, haha and would love gift cards and I really love vera Bradley.

Maybe UGGs..college student love those. Northface jacket- also good for college students!

Kindle is a good idea- they just reduced the price and their tablet is much cheaper than ipad

Some college apparrel for her university.

If she has an ipod touch or ipad or iphone- itunes gift cards! Those are the best.

I agree t-shirts/sweatshirts with her college logo on them. Or maybe a gift card to the University Bookstore so she can pick up a new shirt when they make special ones for special rival games.

I have a 21yo and she is really picky. I have learned to not buy her anything without her approval.

For instance. She is not into vera bradley, I like and have some things but she doesn't have anything vera. She does have a coach wristlet that she likes. She's not into uggs, they are not in at her school, she would like TOMS and she would wear ugg slippers but only the slippers.

She likes Lucky Brand jeans but is picky about the fit. She lives in an apartment and likes candles so Bath and Body Works is great. Her roommate likes her Keruig and soda stream, they love electronic gadgets but I'm not sure she would have time to use a Kindle.

One thing that is a hit is more money on her id card at school. I can add money on it and she can buy food and books and things around campus.

Maybe my D is unusual, (i know she's pickier than her brother) but it's hard to surprise her at this point.

I agree t-shirts/sweatshirts with her college logo on them. Or maybe a gift card to the University Bookstore so she can pick up a new shirt when they make special ones for special rival games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter