• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help with dinner shows

BabyRN

DIS Veteran
Last year we did the character dining at CRT. When we go back, I would either like to do Mickey's Backyard BBQ or the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review. My older kids will be 10, 8 and 6. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 and which one you prefer? Thanks!!

Hoop-de-doo does not have "costumed characters" like Mickey, Minnie and such...they have an actual cast like a show. If your kids are looking for time with characters then you wouldn't want Hoop-de-doo.

But, if they want to see something different, corny jokes, a stage act of sorts, music and interaction/involvement with the tables ...then I think they would love it - my niece and nephew always enjoyed it at various ages including those that you listed....

I didn't think there were characters, which is okay. Our first night we were planning on just eating a CS meal at the hotel, so that would free up a TS meal. Because of that, I would like to do a special dinner, like when we did CRT. I would just like some input on both shows to help me decide which one we might enjoy more. My boys would probably like corny jokes:rotfl:

can anyone else tell me about their experiences with either one or both of these shows? Thanks!

Our family love the Hoop-Dee-Doo!!! Our boys loved it, they have been twice. They were 9 & 7 1/2 the last time we went. Its alot of fun.
:yay:

Boys that age usually love all the corny jokes and slapstick humor. They might get more of a kick out of that than dancing with some Disney characters.

This past September we did all three of the dinner shows. Our favorite hands down was the Hoop Dee Doo. Mickey's Backyard BBQ was nice but I do not feel it is worth the money. Even though we had free dining and used our dining plan I would not do this one again. The food was good but definately not worth 2 table service credits. Also be prepared that they do not come around to clean up the tables until after you are all done eating. It is a buffet and you help yourself to everything including drinks. The show that they do is nice and the characters do come out and dance. But keep in mind that there are so many people that it is hard to get them to dance with your child. My son did get lucky enough to dance with Mickey for a few mins though. The characters do still go on their regular breaks as well. I also do not like that they do not assign tables at this show. It is first come first serve and if you are with a big group it can be difficult to get seats together. We had a family sit next to us that was a big group and they had to split up their party because of this. Hoop Dee Doo on the other hand does have assigned seating. I also prefer the food here much better than at the BBQ. The BBQ is also hectic while you are waiting to be let in to sit down. They have games going on for the kids but it is so crowded in this area that you can hardly move. The games are set up where everyone has to stand to wait to get let into the pavillion. The Hoop Dee Doo show is very entertaining and funny. You will not be bored with this show. My three year old son enjoyed this much better than the BBQ as well. Soon after eating he was ready to leave the BBQ. Where as at Hoop Dee Doo he sat and watched the whole thing. We did the 9:30 seating so that we could have cat 1 seating on the dining plan. It is well worth the late dining time for this. We had great seats right up by the stage. This is a family style meal and they serve you so that you can sit down the whole time and enjoy the show where as at the BBQ you have to get up and help yourself. Also depending on where your table is at the BBQ it can be hard to see the stage. They have big pillars holding up the roof of the pavillion that can block your view. The BBQ has a fair feeling to it or a community 4th of July picnic type feel. They have games before you enter to eat and than they have a lady come out and sing country music. They also have a cowboy come out and do some rope tricks. While the lady is singing they have the characters out to dance with the kids. The characters do come around to some of the tables but not all. We did not have a single character stop at our table. The main place to try to catch the characters is on the dance floor or when you first come in after having your pic taken. The pic is not anything really special it is just taken in front of some shrubs and a lamp post. The Hoop Dee Doo reminds me alot of the Beverly Hillbillies. If you or your kids like that type of thing this is the show for you I think.
Another thing about seating at the BBQ-you sit at large picnic tables connected in a large row. Even if you have a large group taking up a whole table you will be sitting right next to strangers. So keep this in mind if you do not like that type of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter