• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need help preparing beef or turkey in juice...

piratesmate

<font color=red>Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue t
Has anyone ever prepared either beef or turkey, either pulled or shredded, served in juice? I've had it this way at receptions - usually served on a hard roll. Is that enough of a description??? I need some help with how the meat is actually prepared - but mostly what is done to get the juice so tasty. It never seems very spicy, so I'm not sure if there is actually anything in it.

I'm planning on doing a turkey to use for sandwiches for a gathering coming up. I'd like to serve it warm with the juice for sandwiches, but don't want to actually do the typical ones with gravy. We'll probably be standing around while eating these.

I thought about just putting some water in the roaster (~ 2 cups) & cooking it with the lid on - without stuffing it.

TIA!

d

and fell apart........yummy.....I still have four turkeys in freezer.......time to drag one out

I only have 3 - I always put off making them because they're so big they seem to last forever & I get tired of them. ;) But I guess it would make a nice change from mooseburger! :D

Thanks for the info. I never use a bag - which is dumb, because I detest the cleanup! ;)

d

Here might be what you are looking for, piratesmate - at least for the beef.

Take a 4 pound chuck roast and 1 can of beef consomme and I add a few shakes of worchestershire sauce. Put this in the crock pot and cook on High OR Low (depends on your day :) ) until the meat is very tender and able to be pulled apart. I then take the beef out and pull it apart with a fork and discard any fat, cartiledge, etc. Return the beef to the broth. Voila!!!

I serve this on crusty buns and it is YUM!!! Very beefy, and very easy.
I think that I have also used a sirloin tip roast for this to cut down on the fat.

Hope that this helps! :)

Thanks Beth & Pumba!

The kids & I are tired of "plain old roast, carrots & potatoes in the crock pot" - although DH could eat it any time. I'm going to try this with our next roast.

I tried doing a turkey this way Friday & it turned out great! I also adapted the idea of putting slices of orange under the skin of a chicken that someone posted here several months ago. I rubbed Kosher salt under the skin & put orange slices on the breast & at the top of the legs. I rubbed the inside with a little of the salt, as well as a little thyme & ground celery seed. Then I squeezed an orange over the bird & placed it in the cavity.

The weird part was that I added 2 - 3 cups of water to the roaster (in addition to the juice from the orange), put the lid on & cooked it at 400 for 30 min & then at 325 until it was done. I usually make a turkey like this without adding any water. I got the same amount of drippings as if I hadn't added any water - maybe ~2 cups. :confused: So, in the end, I covered the bones with water (after picking off the meat) & cooked them like I do for soup. Otherwise, I wouldn't have had enough broth for the meat for sandwiches.

On Saturday AM I put the shredded meat in the crock pot, poured the broth* over it & let it warm up. When the company arrived at noon, everything was ready for the sandwiches. I was quite pleased with the results. The meat was quite moist and I liked the slight orange flavor.

d

*Of course after sitting in the 'frig overnight, the broth was rather gelatinous because of boiling the bones, but it thinned out again once warm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter