Need help making a pre-teen girl's birthday *magical*

Disneyfriend

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Three years ago our family went to WDW and gave my older daughter a fantastic 10th birthday - the Princess Breakfast at Cinderella Castle, the Family Magic Tour, and dinner at Chef Mickey's complete with a birthday cake that Mickey brought out.

Now it's time for our trip to DL this fall for my other daughter's 11th birthday. I'm having the hardest time coming up with special things to do for her birthday. At 11 and 13, I think my girls are a little old for the cutesy/princess things, you know? They enjoy Disney, but are definitely starting to move into their teen years, and probably won't be as charmed with the character meals as they have in years past.

So what special touches and/or surprises can I come up with for our 11 year old that will be a really great splurge and surprise - but still be age appropriate and not "babyish" (to an 11 year-old's way of thinking)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Lynn

<font color=navy>You know, they have this new game at Disneyland where you go on a hunt, aided by characters on Tom Sawyer's Island.

It's kind of geared to younger folks, I think, but I bet your dd would get a kick if you all competed to find the "prize." Here's the write-up:

‘Discover the Magic Tour’ Tour
During this special 3-hour Disney experience, kids and kids at heart follow musical clues on a scavenger hunt. While solving mysteries in pursuit of hidden treasure, you learn how to outsmart Disney villains, what to do if you meet a Disney Princess and you save the day by helping Mickey Mouse. A helpful guide leads your tour, and Disney Characters join in the fun. Many of the activities on this tour take place on Tom Sawyer's Island. The tour includes lunch in Rancho del Zocolo in Frontierland. Tours are daily at 10:30am and 2pm, and can be booked up to 30 days in advance by calling 714-781-4400. A credit card is needed to guarantee your reservation. Disneyland park admission is required.

Recommended for guests who would like to make the most out of their Disney experience. This is a brand-new adventure, sure to delight guests of all ages.

Price : $49.00 per person for the first two guests and $39.00 per person for each additional guest in the same party (prices subject to change).

:bday:
Be sure to stop at city hall first thing on your way in, for a special phone call and b-day sticker!!!!!

The Plaza Inn has daily b-day parties for all ages

The Blue Bayou might be a nice grown up sort of lunch :)

Would she like a custom teddy bear at Build-A-Bear? (downtown disney) maybe shopping at DtD would be fun for her!!

Wearing the sticker will get her attention from bands throwing beads in New Orleans Square, free dessert at Rancho Del Zolaco, extra tortillas at mission tortilla, and if you sit up front, extra attention from the Hillbillies and the Golden Horseshoe.

Hope that sparks some ideas for ya. :)

At the Paradise hotel they do a tea with Mary Poppins that is fun. (Make sure you do a ps) After tea you can sit the Mary and have your photo taken in a special area that has some dress-up things. The dessert buffet to watch fantasmic is a special treat. Also at the Plaza Inn restaurant they do a birthday party where you decorate a small cake and Mickey and Minnie come and lead a parade with all the birthday guests. We always have silouttes done on Main Street. Those are the things I have done with my daugthers who are now 14 & 18. I'm not sure if they are still all there.

Pcryan - Are you sure that Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea still exists??? We went during the summer of 2002 and was told that at the end of the summer Mary Poppins would be flying off forever! I cannot find any reference to it on the Disney website.

My girls absolutely adored the tea!!! If it still exists we would love to be able to go. Meanwhile we are lucky enough to be going to LA to catch the princess tea after the premiere of Princess Diaries II.

Thanks for the info!

<font color=navy>Unfortunately, Practically Perfect Tea hasn't been offered for awhile.

First, get a birthday sticker. My DD had her birthday at Disneyland this year with friends and received lots of attention with her sticker. They gave honorary stickers to the rest of the group.

How about getting her in the Parade of Stars. She can dance her way down Main Street and be a star for the day.

Front row on California Screamin'. Don't forget to buy the picture.

Get to Who Wants to Be A Millionaire early and ask the CM for seats in the Ring of Fire.

Let her pick the restaurant for her birthday meal.

Originally posted by Tink33
Get to Who Wants to Be A Millionaire early and ask the CM for seats in the Ring of Fire.
What's that?

The ring of fire seats are the seats of the floor. At WDW they call them the fastest finger seats--I like ring of fire better because everyone gets to play the game anyway. It's a very cool place to sit. At one time they used to make you answer Disney trivia questions for those--not sure what they do now. If I got there in time I always got one because there'd be some somewhat obsure question and no one else knew the answer. I'd be the only one raising my hand. Then I'd start helping those around me. Anyway--it's great sitting down there because the seats are more comfortable and it's easier to answer the questions because you have your own monitor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter