• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need Help: June or August??

hec3711

I love all things Disney!!
I am used to planning trips for Disney World but this will be my first time planning/going to Disneyland. I need help with deciding which date would be better to go; crowds, weather, ride closures, etc. This trip will include my husband and 2 kids (10 & 7). Due to work conflicts we can only take this trip in June (6/18-6/23) or in August (12-17).

As I mentioned, I am looking to see which dates are better in regards to crowds, ride closures, weather, etc. I have looked at touring plans; June dates is estimating around a 6/10 and for August: 4/10. I would prefer to go in August since the touring plans is predicting a low crowd, but I've read that sometime in this month that certain rides (Haunted Mansion for example) start closing to get ready for Halloween.

So between the June and August dates, which one would be better? We have purchased a 4-day/hopper pass and want to make sure we get to ride everything...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love planning Disney trips but as I said, this is my first time for Disneyland.. Thank you in advance.

We used to go early to mid June every summer but about 3 years ago switched to that week you were talking about in August, usually the third week.

Early June had better weather but it was more crowded. August had decent crowds but it was pretty hot. But that's just what we noticed. Someone might say just the opposite!

It's never been "dead" no matter when we go to DLR (June, August, Oct and December in recent years!) but it did feel less crowded in August over June. I think that's a weird week in August, where some So Cal kids start going back to school and the local AP is still blocked?

Are you staying onsite? The EMH at DLR is like night and day compared to WDW. If you woke up early and did EMH you can get a ton of stuff done in just a few hours no matter when you chose to go. And the DCA EMH is great! There's no EMH for DCA unless you're staying onsite (I'm pretty sure you get Magic Morning with a 3 day ticket regardless of where you stay? We have APs so not sure!) so the pre-opening lines at DCA are laughably short compared to WDW. Locals tend not to show up that early, it's mostly us tourists! And the weather is about the same that early in the day, it won't get warmer until the afternoon.

As far as closures, we've never seen anything seasonal during August. HM was always open whenever we went. It's still the summer so unless there's a scheduled refurb most rides will be open.

You will have a GREAT time no matter when you go, enjoy your trip!!

It's hard to guess weather. My guess is June has potential to not be as hot as August, but it's really splitting hairs. There's also potential June gloom.

Ignore the crowd predictors, they've been notoriously wrong lately. Disney is also doing everything possible to run promotions to pack the parks every day.

The fewest refurbs and the most entertainment is between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Even so, you're never going to find everything open. In June there's a chance that the railroad and ROA won't have reopened yet. If they do open in July, expect August to get a lot more crowded. It's hard to say until Disney actually announces something.

Have you priced flights and hotels? I'd start there and then pick dates around the other logistics.

Are you staying onsite?
We are planning to stay at HOJO, so we can walk to the parks and for our kids to have fun at the waterpark area. We will have a Magic Morning to use (for DL only) with our 4 day pass, so that will be great. We usually stay offsite at WDW as well, so we are use to getting to the parks early to take advantage of those who are sleeping in or.. I've read that its best to get in line about 30-45 mins before the park opens, is that right?

I think either week would be okay. As others mentioned crowds will be better in August, but it will probably be hotter. We are going that week in June and have been that week before and think it's an okay time to go. Our schools start that week in August in North-Central CA, as do some in other parts of CA. Note in June some days are blocked for the So Cal AP and in August all days are blocked. That is good for you, but also an indicator that Disney expects the parks to be busy. Both dates have the Select AP blocked.

ROA is Rivers of America. The Disneyland Railroad and Fantasmic are due to reopen after a lengthy closure this summer. Disney is now saying later summer, but who knows what that means. We love June, it is usually cooler. We are going in August this year in hopes that we will be able to ride the railroad and see Fantasmic. But dread the heat!!

How hot does it get in CA during the summer? I'm from Texas, so I'm use to 100 degree weather..

It can be 100. I think the hottest it's been in the parks the last 5 years are so was 108, but I've been on several days where it reached 102. The high and low can vary 30 degrees in a week or even in a day. You could easily have a day that's high 60s to mid-80s early in your week and a day that's 70 to 100 by the end of the week. Generally August and September will be more humid than June and July, but it's still a relatively dry heat compared to other places. The humidity has been bad the last 2 years compared to historical levels, but still not as bad as FL. But there are more outdoor queues and less air conditioned areas, which makes some difference too.

How hot does it get in CA during the summer? I'm from Texas, so I'm use to 100 degree weather..
Where I live in CA we're also used to 100+ weather day after day in summer so trust me- you'll be fine. (It's a dry heat. I'm just assuming TX is also a dry heat. I die in humidity! Did FL Nov before last- it was like mid 80s & I felt like I was gonna melt!) Stay hydrated, enjoy the water rides, sunblock- you know the drill! I vote Aug because most everything will be back up (even if HM is down). It will be crowded, LA schools don't start until the 15th, so expect big Aug crowds seeing the "new" ROA & Fantasmic. They've been down a LONG time, we DL lovers need our fix!

Now if the train & rivers aren't a big deal for you but HM is- go in June! Lighter crowds (still crazy busy though) & usually better weather in June.

When do schools in that area get out for summer? We will be there early June and I was hoping many wouldn't be out of school yet.

For your June dates, pretty much all school kids will be out of school by that point. Weather will be warm, but probably not as hot as compared to August. By 6/18, pretty much all of the Grad Night stuff is done. You also have blockout dates for the lowest level of AP (So Cal Select AP). Downside to June is that DL this week mentioned that Rivers of America won't open until later in the summer. But they haven't specified a date yet. So that eliminates rides on the train, visits to Tom Sawyer's Island, going on the Mark Twain, etc.

August:
Better chance of Rivers of America being open then. Pretty much all AZ, UT, and probably most NV kids are back in school by your August trip dates, so that reduces crowds. However, if Rivers of America are open, then So Cal locals will go to DL in droves. Expect Fantasmic! FPs to be a premium thing to get, with people lining up way in advance to get their designated FP standing location.

Your August dates are still blocked out for So Cal Select AP's and So Cal AP's. No block out dates for the Deluxe AP holders with the exception of Saturday 8/12. Despite that, if Rivers of America is open, I would expect crowd levels to be possibly higher than the June dates because locals will pay a 1-day ticket just to see Fantasmic again and go on the Mark Twain.

When do schools in that area get out for summer? We will be there early June and I was hoping many wouldn't be out of school yet.

School ending and starting dates vary greatly across the state. Many schools are out by Memorial Day and start in early August. But other schools get out a few weeks into June and start closer to Labor Day. We are an early August to late May school. But it's the local schools that matter most as they're the ones that are blocked all summer. I would check on LAUSD. I think last year they were out until Labor Day.

I am still in the beginning stages of planning a summer trip for just DS and I. I think I'm am close to being set on the 3rd week in august. Its the last week that my AP is valid, the train and ROA should be reopened, and the locals should be back in school. We come from Oregon and our schools don't start back up until after labor day. This could potentially be my last trip for a couple years so I am hoping to afford some fun extras that we never indulge in like a F! package, and A walk in Walts footsteps tour. Hopefully those things will balance out the heat and crowds I'm expecting due to everything reopening. I might consider June if I wasn't trying to make the finished refurbishments.

It can get hot in SoCal, but not skin-being-peeled-off-in-the-shade hot like it can get in TX. You can walk around and do stuff in the middle of the day and be hot, but not feel like you're dying. From what I've read, Disney World seems to be more Texas-like in the summer (with a lot more humidity) than CA.

If you're relying on the superthread of school breaks for when locals go back to school, don't. It's missing 5 of the 6 largest districts in the state with hundreds of thousands of students.

I've been both those weeks. if it were me, I'd probably go in August this year just to not miss Fantasmic and the railroad. It might be more crowded, but with more things open, it might not be as noticeable either. Get those cool cloths that you wet down and drape across your neck to help with the heat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter