Need Help Deciding… Bach Trip!

i_love_stitch

Mouseketeer
So for some of you this would be an absolutely no brainer, but I need help! I made the last minute decision to forgo an actual bachelorette trip and take a quick trip over Labor Day with my mom and two sisters. I made a reservation with the Disney+ promo for 5 nights at Pop Century since I love the sky liner. I was able to find a confirmed dvc reservation for Grand Floridian 5 nights, same dates, for $800 more. I’ve stayed at a few deluxes, including the Riviera, but never the Grand Flo. What would you choose? Would you stick with Pop Century?

I guess it depends on how much the $800 means to you! I assume you're talking about a studio room at VGF. It also depends on what you plan to do while there - which parks are more important. Pop has Skyliner for HS and EP. VGF obviously has very simple access to MK. Don't ignore the fact that around Labor Day, the weather will be hot and unpredictable in Florida, which could impact Skyliner, but there's no way to predict anything like that.

If it were us, and we've done both, I think we'd save the $800, do Pop, and splurge on some really nice dining with the money!

So for some of you this would be an absolutely no brainer, but I need help! I made the last minute decision to forgo an actual bachelorette trip and take a quick trip over Labor Day with my mom and two sisters. I made a reservation with the Disney+ promo for 5 nights at Pop Century since I love the sky liner. I was able to find a confirmed dvc reservation for Grand Floridian 5 nights, same dates, for $800 more. I’ve stayed at a few deluxes, including the Riviera, but never the Grand Flo. What would you choose? Would you stick with Pop Century?
IMO, Grand Floridian, without a doubt.

As a suggestion, watch videos on YouTube of both properties and rooms and see which you and your family prefer. Might make your choice easier. Congrats! Enjoy it!

Are your sisters ok sharing a sofa bed and not a real bed? I don't think I could share a sofa bed with another adult. They aren't the most comfortable. If they were ok with that I would make the move.

confirmed dvc reservation for Grand Floridian
Specifically, what type villa?

A Resort Studio will be in the newly opened Big Pine Key, convenient to pool and main building, with 2 queen beds and a day bed that converts to a twin. Microwave and coffeepot, beverage fridge, no toaster.

A Deluxe Studio will be in the original Villas of the Grand Floridian building and will have a queen size bed, a queen size Murphy that folds down over the couch, and a bunk-size Murphy under the TV. Kitchenette with microwave, coffeepot, toaster and small fridge.

This post https://www.disboards.com/threads/grand-floridian-studio-comparison.3887483/post-64102258 has a more detailed comparison, and it's part of a longer thread that might help you decide whether the $800 is worth it to you or not.

@CarolynFH room advice should help. Spot on!

Also will you go to MK often ? Being able to walk is so nice. Another thing to consider is deluxe rooms get late nights currently Monday and Wednesdays.

Dd also planning her Bach, She has BC and CR both booked and going to wait to decide later . She really wants CR to walk to MK. The price for her suite was the cheapest she could find for 7. For 5 you have so many more options. 🤔😃

$800 would come pretty close to paying for your meals. However this will be a nice trip for your family with you still “theirs”. Lol I get emotional as I am helping plan dds wedding and Bach currently.

I can give you as many reasons to stay at one vs the other. When we go we plan that trip around the resort trip. Sometimes I book the one with biggest discount , usually AP. Sometimes I book the one we really want even though it’s more. Sometimes you just want to make is special .

I’d lean for gf due to it being with family and the occasional. Years from now you won’t regret it.

If you stick with pop then take advantage of Epcot’s location.

Happy planning and enjoy! Sounds like a nice time for you all. 👍

I mean the GF compared to POP is not really fair. Accommodations and space will be nicer at GF, without a doubt, even if it's a deluxe studio at VGF, it's still nicer.

Are you all staying in one room at POP and VGF? I do think Pop would be tight for 4 ladies to share a bath/vanity so you'd have a little more space at VGF with a larger bathroom area.

Will you be at MK more than other parks? GF has the win on that location but if you'll be at DHS/Epcot more, it might make sense to stick with POP. $800 is nothing to sneeze at and while that's only $160 more/night, keep in mind you'll pay more to park if you'll have a car(s) too.

I mean the GF compared to POP is not really fair. Accommodations and space will be nicer at GF, without a doubt, even if it's a deluxe studio at VGF, it's still nicer.

Are you all staying in one room at POP and VGF? I do think Pop would be tight for 4 ladies to share a bath/vanity so you'd have a little more space at VGF with a larger bathroom area.

Will you be at MK more than other parks? GF has the win on that location but if you'll be at DHS/Epcot more, it might make sense to stick with POP. $800 is nothing to sneeze at and while that's only $160 more/night, keep in mind you'll pay more to park if you'll have a car(s) too.
I agree - at 260/sf, I think the room at Pop might feel a bit tight with 4 ladies. I'm not sure of the exact square footage of villa studios at the Grand Floridian, but I'd estimate about 400 sq ft, AND has the balcony if anyone wants or needs to "step out" for a minute. It might not sound like a lot of extra space, but it makes a big difference. The GF is beautiful, easy walk back and forth to MK. Easy (and fun) walk over to the Poly for drinks at Trader Sam's, super fun for a bachelorette (I'd almost say a must-do). Pontoon boats are available at the GF on a walk-up basis for $45/30 min - another fun activity. Monorail to Epcot is fun. Full disclosure - I have never stayed at Pop. My CM daughter has stayed at POP and really likes it. She's told me that it wouldn't be best for me, her and my teen daughter - small room size might lead to "sisterly squabbles". LOL. Think about that square footage. Also think about the Poly Villa. They have the 2 bathrooms. I love those for my "girls trips" with my daughters.

Is it the resort studio? I just stayed in one last week and it was an absolute nightmare with the construction next door and the issues with soundproofing that predate the renovation.

You can read my experience. Maybe they’ll be done by then? Assuming no construction, id pick GF hands down, unless you are really Epcot or HS people.

I’ve never stayed at pop, but I have stayed Art of animation twice. I would say Art of animation is much quieter. Sure, there’s hall noise, but the GF is worse. That GF room might be among the loudest I’ve ever stayed in, which may matter to your group. The noise level will not match what you expect for a “flagship” resort of this price.

GF is one of our least favorite deluxe resorts(the theming is not for us)but I would spend the extra money and stay deluxe. We love the extra evening hours and the overall feel of deluxe resorts.

Yes, if extra evening hours are in play (check dates), then I would pick GF. Easily worth the money for this many people. You're adults, you can bring some earplugs.

The VGF DVC sofas and Murphys are lovely. I've seen them in the old and new building. I would sleep on any of them gladly. The new resort studio mattresses are the best I've had at Disney. I think the fold down Murphy in the old studio is smaller than a twin. So, maybe a problem if you are all in the WNBA. I'm average and would sleep in it fine.

Last edited:
I visited VGF while staying at the Poly in June. It’s so beautiful and luxe! I sat in the lobby, which was very quiet, and just soaked it in. The lounges and grounds are beautiful too. If you are able, I’d rather treat myself to beautiful, more adult themed surroundings. I’ve splurged in certain times of my life. Splurging on my wedding and a wonderful bachelorette trip was TOTALLY worth it!

Yes, no brainer for me...Grand Floridian for $800 more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter