• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need chopped onion - dehydrated onion conversion

Gina

Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
I must be searching wrong -- I can't find this on the web at all! I need 1/4 cup chopped onion for a meatloaf, but forgot to get an onion. I do have dehydrated onion flakes, though. Anyone know the conversion amount?

Thanks!

some times the dehydrated onions are stronger then a peeled onion......put some in a cup and get your sniffer working......I can tell by smelling it sometimes.......I would start out with less then what a real onion would be and go from there

onion flakes = dried minced onion = dehydrated onion flakes Notes: These are onions that have been chopped and then dehydrated. They lack much of the pungency of fresh onions, but they're convenient and great for backpacking. Equivalents: 1 small onion = 1/3 cup = 1 teaspoon onion powder = 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes Substitutes: onion powder (1 teaspoon onion powder = 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes) OR onion (1/3 cup chopped fresh onion = 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes)

Hope this helps!

Perfect -- thanks, both of you! Parmesan meatloaf... yum... Anyone want some? :goodvibes

Perfect -- thanks, both of you! Parmesan meatloaf... yum... Anyone want some? :goodvibes

Oh my, that sounds great! Is the parm in the meatloaf or just on top? Oh heck...could you please share this recipe?

Oh my, that sounds great! Is the parm in the meatloaf or just on top? Oh heck...could you please share this recipe?

I'd be happy to! I got it off the Kraft Foods website a couple of years ago, and it has been a big hit around here ever since. It is so easy, and SO good! It's cooking right now, and it smells awesome in here... :goodvibes
Here's the recipe:

1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. KRAFT 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, divided
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning

PREHEAT oven to 375°F. Mix meat, 1/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the cheese, onion, egg and seasoning.

SHAPE into loaf in 12x8-inch baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce and remaining 2 Tbsp. cheese.

BAKE 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked through (160°F).

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said "Need chopped onion- dehydrated onion conversation. I was thinking that you were really looking hard for something to chat about!:rotfl:

The meat loaf sounds delicious by the way!

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said "Need chopped onion- dehydrated onion conversation. I was thinking that you were really looking hard for something to chat about!:rotfl:

The meat loaf sounds delicious by the way!

ROFL!! Yeah, I got tired of the same thread topics over and over again, and though I'd start something completely different. And really, who doesn't love a good onion conversation? :rotfl:

The meatloaf was delish, BTW, and I'm looking forward to leftovers when I go home for lunch. :banana:

ROFL!! Yeah, I got tired of the same thread topics over and over again, and though I'd start something completely different. And really, who doesn't love a good onion conversation? :rotfl:

The meatloaf was delish, BTW, and I'm looking forward to leftovers when I go home for lunch. :banana:

:rotfl:

I love leftover meatloaf - It's almost better the second day! Okay, now I'm really hungry....
I copied down your recipe - making it this weekend!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter