NEED ADVICE re: Most adult resort

TanyaNMJ

Earning My Ears
Planning first trip to WDW since childhood...we are a married couple in our early thirties, wanting to celebrate our 2nd anniversay. We are fun-loving and enjoy acting like kids, but also want a little break from them! Which on-site resort and/or off-site resort is best? We are planning mid-June.

Some have suggested Grand Floridian, but than seems a bit pricey...any other ideas?

Hi there - we don't have any kids and we frequent WDW - at least once a year. We find it very romantic. I would say definitely stay clear of All Star resorts.

If you want to stay away from Deluxe resort prices, may I suggest Coronado Springs. Some feel it has a convention atmosphere - but that didn't bother us. In fact, it didn't feel "conventiony" to us.

We did an anniversary trip at Coronado Springs and found it delightful! It's a beautiful resort - perfect for a romantic stroll around the lake. Excellent full service restaurant, Maya Grille, on property. Nice pool. And, affordable.

I will also suggest YC or BC - our favorite!! Either one. The boardwalk area can be very romantic and there are lots of great restaurants. The sound of the friendshiops passing by is romantic in my book. It's a quick walk to World Showcase, a boat ride to MGM, and a hop skip and jump to one of my favorite places...Fantasia Minature Golf. Sounds silly, but we found it very very romantic.

We're leaving in 10 days - staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time...we'll see how romantic that is. I'm sure the answer is "quite romantic." It is pricey though - we got a discount through a cast member or we wouldn't be staying there.

Have fun!!

PamNC
10 days and counting

Because the deluxes are more expensive you tend to see less families than you would at the moderates or the value resorts. We stayed at the Poly last October and though there were quite a few families we had no problem avoiding loud kids butd there weren't many. It was a VERY slow time of year for WDW. It ussually is a low attendance level but the attacks made it even slower. Very quiet and relaxing resort. The Poly is on the Monorail line and that also gives you some great opportunities. You can find some great places to be alone all around the Disney Resorts.

Have fun

I had problems with roudy kids at both the Poly and YC. My suggestion (this worked for me) is to stay concierge. The reason this was a solution for me was that the front desk was very unresponsive when I told them kids were playing ball in the hallway. When we stayed concierge we had someone to contact other than just the front desk people who don't seem to care.

I expect the pitter-patter of little feet running to the parks or to the pool. I don't expect to pay $200. a night to have kids playing ball in the hallways and having the front desk tell me I'm more than welcome to try to find myself another room at another hotel (this was Poly - not concierge). At the YC concierge someone came and told the kids to please stop racing up and down the hall and playing with the ice machine while their parents napped. Simple solution that the Poly front desk staff doesn't seem to be aware of. At least with concierge you've had contact with the staff and you're not some faceless "being" in room number such and such.

We didn't have a problem at GF.....we didn't stay concierge that time, so we might have just been lucky! Funny thing is, when fiance and I stayed at Dixie Landings we didn't have ANY problems at all!! We always laugh about how we thought we moved up in the world being able to stay at the deluxes now and this is where we've been having the problems!

Have a great time.....just make sure that if you are REALLY having a problem (i.e. kids playing ball) that you don't just sit and stew over it. If your hotel won't help you, go to another one and get another room. That's what we did and it saved the last few days of our vacation. :bounce:

If you stay in a moderate, don't pay extra for a pool view -- you get more traffic past your window. We stayed at PORiverside facing a parking lot and had next to no one walk by our room.

I suggest the BWI. I have stayed there twice, adults only, and have really enjoyed it.

I suggest Coronado. There weren't tons of kids when we went last year.

On to the deluxe vs. moderate... That you'd have kids playing in the hall of a deluxe doesn't surprise me. At a moderate you have exterior doors, not interior. The halls echo noise.

It is disappoining that any parent would allow their child to behave the way that Ally descibed. I guess you'll find poor parenting wherever you go, and it'll only be magnified at a place with more kids! But in defense of kids, there are LOTS of poor mannered adults who let their doors slam behind them in a hotel or who carry on conversations in what my kindergarten teacher referred to as "outside voices". Oh well...

Enjoy your trip regardless. You will have a blast!!! :-)

Erin

Wow thanks everyone - I have worked by way through the abbreviations! You all seem to understand my point-of-view perfectly! In my book kids are fun, just not screaming 24 hrs a day.

One resort that was on my radar screen that wasn't mentioned is the Animal Kingdom Lodge - what is the screaming kid situation there? Can you actually see the animals outside?

Thanks!

The AKL would be a FANTASTIC resort for adults (of course I think it's great for kids too... :-).

It does have interior hallways so the potential for 'annoying kids (or adults!)' does exist, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

There were some kids at AKL when we stayed there (including mine), but the room was quiet and the resort wasn't 'crowded' with kids.

Yes indeed the animals are right outside! We were on the 2nd floor (the lowest floor) and it was fantastic to be that close to the animals. We had Giraffe, Kudu, Zebra, Ankole Cattle, and Wildebeest within 'rock throwing' distance of our balcony practically every morning.

The restaurants at AKL are wonderful - especially 'The Boma'. We will certainly have a meal there on all future trips, whether or not we are staying at AKL.

If you can 'pretend' to be on Safari, this is the place for you! They have a wonderful pool, a nice 'safari' bar, and theming everywhere. I would certainly add it to your 'short list'.

We were at the AKL for 2 weeks this past April, one being Easter week. We never had ANY problems with noise levels at all. We were on the 2nd floor, Zebra Trail about half way down. The lobby is on the 3rd floor at AKL and there was a lot of traffic walking passed the rooms on that floor, especially the ones near the lobby, so I'd request the 2nd or 4th floor to avoid that. If you want an extra quiet room you can always request being at the end of the halls, it's a walk(not bad, as some make it seem, in my opinion;) ) and that way you won't get any through traffic. But like I said before we were 1/2 way down the hall and never heard any problems with noise in the 2 weesk we were there.

Even at the pool we found that were'nt any out of control children there, it was nice. I'd avoid the Y&B because of the pool there is VERY popular with families, it's a mini-water park. We visited there a few times to eat and found it very chaotic even mid-day.

We LOVED the AKL, it's now our favorite resort. Also they do have 2 hot tubs, one very large one and a smaller one. We found that the families and kids tended to go to the larger one(closer to the pool and playground) and couples and adults went to the more secluded smaller one, which was nice. Because I could take my 5 year old down and didn't feel like I was interrupting anyones down or romantic time-lol.

So my vote is the AKL or the Boardwalk Inn because there are all sorts of cool nightime activities right there on the Boardwalk. There's a Piano bar, Dance Hall, restaurants- the Flying Fish, Spoodles, a bar and grill(forget the name) and the ESPN sports club. That could be nice for adults only. You can also walk to Epcot and MGM, nice walk, especially at night or take the boats. I do know that the one place, I think the Dance Hall, doesn't even allow children in it.

So I guess I'd decide based on whether or not you'll do a lot of nightimes activities. If so I'd go with the Boardwalk. If you want more quiet down time go with the AKL. Either way, you can't go wrong, they're both wonderful resorts in their own ways.

Let us know where you decide, cause I'm nosey-lol

Before my husband and I had children we really enjoyed our stay at the Boardwalk Inn. We had a lovely room with a king bed overlooking the rose gardens. :) Very quiet... I don't remember seeing more than 2 children the whole time we were there. The quiet pool was actually QUIET! :) From our room we could also see Illuminations at night. :) VERY romantic! In fact, it was so romantic that dh proposed to me! ;)

If you are looking to spend a little less money then I would highly recommend the Caribbean Beach Resort. :) DH and I stayed there (without the kids) in Feb. of this year. Our room was a very short walk from our car, and also very close to the bus stop. The only time I saw kids was down at the pool (which didn't matter to us because we didn't swim). The resort was just renovated, so the room seemed just like new.

Off property, I would HIGHLY recommend the Portofino Bay Hotel over at Universal. VERY luxurious and romantic, even more so than the Grand Floridian. It reminded me a lot of the Bellagio in Las Vegas (another favorite hotel of ours). There are often good discounts for those Universal resorts... much less expensive than deluxe hotels at Disney. ;)

Good Luck! :)

My husband and I are also in the same age range as you (30) we frequent WDW very often and we do not have children yet. I too agree that although the Grand Floridian is pricey it is sure worth it. Look on the dis boards for good hotel savings, friends of ours who are going around the same time as you found some great discount codes on here and saved $400 dollars!!! If the GF is still to pricey for you, try the yacht club, or even the Wilderness Lodge. The lodge is always very tranquil and there are always adults enjoying the lobby, reading by the fireplace etc. I'd steer clear of the contemporary if you're looking for tranquility - I've stayed there a number of times and it's not very romantic. The Boardwalk, Yacht and Beachclub, Grand Floridian or even Wilderness Lodge might be a better choice.

We spent 2 nights in January at AKL, followed by 4 nights a the Poly - my husband and I, and our 5 children. We found it much quieter at the Poly. AKL is beautiful, but it was VERY loud at 10:00pm on both nights when we were trying to get to sleep -- children were running up and down the halls and talking/yelling, as well as lots of people out on their balconies banging around and talking on cell phones. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor of the Zebra Trail about halfway down the hall on the Arusha Savannah.

I've stayed at most of the WDW resorts. The most adult by FAR was the Board Walk Inn, concierge level. We saw exactly three kids, including our teenage son. One was an infant who belonged to a CM on maternity leave who had stopped in to visit, the other was a quiet little girl of about three.

The rooms were exceptionally quiet, lounge area was very nice, large, and well staffed.

And the concierge staff was WONDERFUL! It was like being at a B&B with Disney World right outside. It is the ONLY WDW Resort that has a B&B feel to it IMHO.

The Grand Floridian can be over run with kids, and not well behaved ones at that, even in the concierge areas. I'd steer clear of the All Stars, and most of the moderates. Coronado Springs will have the least kids of those.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge also had a lot of kids in the concierge lounge area, most were well behaved, there were some rude adults there though.

The Poly, Beach Club and Contemporary seem to draw TONS of kids. Yacht Club is a little better, but not by much.

Hope this helps.

Anne

Were you asking about the resorts on Fodors? If so, I'm glad you found your way here. Lots more & friendly info than on Fodors!

Agree with better luck of adult vacation only's at the deluxes &/ or concerige resorts. We seem to find that the resorts with the convention centers seem to definately have more adult-feel and quietier. I could only add have you considered the swan, it is smaller than the dolphin with the same great transportation as the yc/bc/bw/dolphin They are running some fabulous discounts with AAA, DC, Annual Pass, Teacher, RN, or Government employee, Entertainment rate.... We have a great deal this summer & fall. Have a great vacation, MKY:cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter