need advice on choosing deluxe resort!

princess mom of 4

They call me MomPossible
We're in early stage of planning next trip - maybe in early Dec.06. We stayed at CR last two trips and loved it, but considering either Poly or WL. How is holiday decor at each? Also wondering about transportation from WL to MK and TTC...

I would stay at the Poly :thumbsup2
WL is close but the you will not have teh monorail and the boat is sometimes slow... You will be using buses most of the time
Both resorts are nice......and similiar if you like one you will most likely like the other
Both are relaxing
But I would choose the Poly if you never stayed there Santa is in a Hammock....
it is a very relaxing resort....

Wilderness Lodge has the best decorations and when entering the lobby, its breath taking. We're likers of the Poly and do stay there mostly but during xmas, WL hands down. Seems the Poly, being polynesian orientated doesn't really get into the spirit of xmas. Don't get me wrong and jump all over me but xmas is an American thing and we do the themeing to the hilt. WL just seemed to be more Christmasie to us.

I have to agree with the above poster. We have never actually stayed at Poly, but we looked at all the holiday pictures on allearsnet and decided on WL this past Nov/Dec. The lodge just feels like the holidays, huge wreaths and greenery everywhere, a roaring fire in the fireplace in the lobby, and let's not forget that magnificent tree in the lobby. It was so beautiful when I walked in I began to tear up.

WL is famous for its Christmas decorations. The Poly - not so much, although it is a great resort in many other respects. I find transportation from WL to MK to be pretty good, with the boats to MK and the direct bus to MK as well. I'm not sure why you'd want to go to the TTC from WL. If you're wanting to get to EPCOT from WL, the buses are much faster than any combination of other modes of travel and transfers via the TTC.

Poly is next door to the TTC, so it's easy to walk over and catch the monorail to EPCOT. WL is also in the vicinity of the TTC (on the other side of it), but the walk to TTC from there would be dangerous and long. It's best just to take the EPCOT bus from WL.

If what you want is the Christmas decor and ambiance then WL is the best choice. If transportation and ease of MK and Epcot then any of the monorail resorts are great. Having stayed at all of the above mentioned resorts my personal favorite is the GF for both decor and ease of transportationduring the Christmas rush. Have a great trip whichever resort you choose.

I have a split decision on what to suggest. I agree that if the contest were who has the better Christmas decorations that the WL would win. With that said the Polynesian gets very much so into the Christmas mood ,and yes it is in America also (giving pepe a hard time). They do decorate all over and even change the resort music to Hawaiian Christmas music. With that said I would say that if transportation is at all a factor the Polynesian can not be beat by the WL. You have monorail access so the other two monorail resorts become very easy to access (like an extension of your resort) and you have not only bus and boat service at the resort but you have walking access right next to the Polynesian to the TTC for busses, monorails to MK and Epcot and a large ferry if you have strollers or wheelchairs to roll on. The boat from the WL takes about twice as long to get to the MK and in fact the times I have gone over to the WL to eat it takes almost as long to get through the no wake zone next to the Contemporary as it does to take the boat from the Polynesian to the MK. Now if you are even considering the Polynesian than you better book now. We booked 3 weeks or more ago for Dec. 6-11 and there were a few room categories already gone and they said they have been getting bookings for that time like crazy.

Bottom line is that if the best decorations are the most important thing that do the WL. If not bad decorations are ok and you want a much larger room and better transportation than call now and see if there is anything available for the Polynesian. If not I would actually suggest the Yacht Club as the next choice.

I appreciate everybody's input and advice. I am leaning toward the Poly, as I have gotten spoiled with the monorail's convenience, and we will be mainly focusing on MK again this trip. Thanks Tikiman for reminding me to speed up my decision! I just have to get a few issues straight on the wheelchair accessibility rooms at the Poly, and then I will be sold... ;)

princess mom of 4 said:
I appreciate everybody's input and advice. I am leaning toward the Poly, as I have gotten spoiled with the monorail's convenience, and we will be mainly focusing on MK again this trip. Thanks Tikiman for reminding me to speed up my decision! I just have to get a few issues straight on the wheelchair accessibility rooms at the Poly, and then I will be sold... ;)

What issues do you have? The rooms are newly redesigned for the accessible rooms and they are all located in Rapa Nui facing the garden area between there and Tahiti. You will have a small, hardly used parking lot just steps from your room and the large ferry to the MK that is accessible is right down the path at the TTC near Rapa Nui. Also both monorails can be boarded at the TTC close to the room. Those rooms are very limited so I hope you book soon.

we loved WL at xmas the decorations are amazing
but we also toured the poly at xmas and it was beautiful along with the GF
they had buildings made from gingerbread, the smell was wonderful, beautiful trees
the amtosphere was amazing

Now if you are even considering the Polynesian than you better book now. We booked 3 weeks or more ago for Dec. 6-11 and there were a few room categories already gone and they said they have been getting bookings for that time like crazy.

Just wondering why Poly that would be that crowded that time of year. It was my understanding that the crowds were much lighter then. We happened to be booked for the Poly for those exact dates and didn't think that it would already be starting to be booked up this early out.

pepe of ohio said:
Wilderness Lodge has the best decorations and when entering the lobby, its breath taking. We're likers of the Poly and do stay there mostly but during xmas, WL hands down. Seems the Poly, being polynesian orientated doesn't really get into the spirit of xmas. Don't get me wrong and jump all over me but xmas is an American thing and we do the themeing to the hilt. WL just seemed to be more Christmasie to us.

Err..sorry..not going to jump al over you :teeth: ..But that is a silly statment...Christmas is an American thing???? I can't believe anyone would think that!! :rolleyes:
Iam british...and we quite like christmas here too.. :cheer2:

Although the Christmas decor at WL is much better. But, the Poly overall is a better resort in my opinion. Transporation at WL can be very sluggish. And, the Poly has a certain magic that I think no other Disney resort has. The pool at WL is a bit small, as are the rooms. You can always visit WL and take in the decor, and visit the other resorts as well.

PamNC

Tinker74 said:
Err..sorry..not going to jump al over you :teeth: ..But that is a silly statment...Christmas is an American thing???? I can't believe anyone would think that!! :rolleyes:
Iam british...and we quite like christmas here too.. :cheer2:

I thought this was a little unfair to Pepe. Maybe it wasn't the best choice of words Pepe used, but the point was that Polynesian cultures are not into Christmas (none that I know of), but American culture is big into Christmas. WL is an American, and maybe western Canadian-themed resort, and as such it makes sense that such a resort would be more what Americans would mentally picture around Christmas-time, rather than the Poly. I don't think Pepe was saying Christmas was only an American thing. Rather I think he was saying that it's definitely more of an American tradition than a Polynesian tradition.

Let's give Pepe the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Actually without getting into a Polynesian culture debate I have not seen a Polynesian culture yet that was not into Christmas, especially Hawaiians. There are tons of Christmas stores on the islands and in the magazines there are adds for Christmas ornaments and stockings all year long.

grimley1968 said:
I thought this was a little unfair to Pepe. Maybe it wasn't the best choice of words Pepe used, but the point was that Polynesian cultures are not into Christmas (none that I know of), but American culture is big into Christmas. WL is an American, and maybe western Canadian-themed resort, and as such it makes sense that such a resort would be more what Americans would mentally picture around Christmas-time, rather than the Poly. I don't think Pepe was saying Christmas was only an American thing. Rather I think he was saying that it's definitely more of an American tradition than a Polynesian tradition.

Let's give Pepe the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Yes..I agree..Iam sure Pepe didn't mean it the way it came out...it just seemed a silly thing to say :)
Can you imagine if I posted that christmas is a British thing...not a polynesian. :rolleyes:
Iam not getting heavy I just wanted to point out in a lighthearted way that other countries celebrate christmas besides America. :teeth:

The polynesians get into Xmas, but it is adapted more to their surroundings. I spent two years in Hawaii on your tax dollars. You can buy a real pine tree for your Christmas tree, but it is exspensive.

Most of us think of Christmas with snow, the fireplace, wreath and Xmas tree made of pine. A lot us think of Christmas like in Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" or a modern version, "A Chirstmas Story".

This is the same issue if you have Xmas in the Southwest like Arizona or south Texas. Decorating your cactus outside with xmas lights may not be your ideal Xmas but you what you have do to get in the spirit.

aterriq said:
The polynesians get into Xmas, but it is adapted more to their surroundings. I spent two years in Hawaii on your tax dollars. You can buy a real pine tree for your Christmas tree, but it is exspensive.

Most of us think of Christmas with snow, the fireplace, wreath and Xmas tree made of pine. A lot us think of Christmas like in Dickens, "A Christmas Carol" or a modern version, "A Chirstmas Story".

This is the same issue if you have Xmas in the Southwest like Arizona or south Texas. Decorating your cactus outside with xmas lights may not be your ideal Xmas but you what you have do to get in the spirit.

I spent one Christmas in Sedona, AZ and one at WDW. There rest were in the suburbs of Philadelphia. It seems strange with no snow and warm weather. I thought the Poly decorations are somewhat subdued, the WL - more 'winter like' to me. The lobby at WL (and AKL) are amazing places but I would still stay at the Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter