Need advice on a tent and partial site

Carrie Ellis

DIS Veteran
Long story but I will try to make it short!!! My son joined the USCG in June and just got out of boot camp! We had no idea if he would be able to make our WDW trip this December. We had to wait on every decision for him. His girlfriend also just finished boot camp (same situation). My mom and dad are pulling their RV from Texas. My sister and I booked them a site over a year ago. My mom and dad are 70 and sometimes things get hard for them. Just to be safe, I also booked a partial site in my name. We booked a VRBO but if needed we would put up a tent and some of the kids could stay at Fort Wilderness if my parents could not make it. We wanted to cover all basis since it is December and Star Wars will be opening. We are tied to my parents for the experience so everyone can book 60 day FPs.

Now we know my son and his girlfriend can make it!!! I told him he could stay at the fort on the partial site if he wanted. He loves staying on Disney property! I have been looking for a small RV that we could have delivered (it is partial). I found one site that was like a VRBO thing. I am a little concerned on safety of using this site. It looks ok. It is call rvshare. Anyone heard of them? The larger companies all have large RVs.

We are also consider a tent for him. I looked up the Fort tents and they look big. The price I saw was $30/day?? I was trying to find someone that had pictures of the inside. Thoughts? We have a tent but the Fort tent is more like a cabin and it looks roomy. I want them to be comfortable.

Suggestions and thoughts? Thank you for everything!
Oh...I really don't think Disney gives any military discount on campsites anymore. Anyone experience different? Maybe a discount on the tent?

Carrie

The military has their own on site hotel, Shades of Green. Used to be cost was based on your rank, so privates paid way less than say and officer. Have been out for a long time, so not sure what they do now.

PaHunter, yes the SOG was one place he called but they are booked up this December. SOG is nice but I am not very impressed by it. My husband is Army and I looked into it a few times! :)

I think the partial will be great for them but I would like to find pictures of the inside of the Fort tent!

Carrie, congrats (long time no hear). Your DIS name rings a bell!

You mentioned a "small RV" in your original post.

There is a rental RV company called "Cruise America" that rents Class C RV's (think driveable with a bunk over the driver and passenger seats). There is a Kissimmee rental location or you can pick it up in some city near Orlando and pay a mileage charge to drive it to the Fort. They have different sizes to rent.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rv-rentals/options

As I said if Kissimmee doesn't have availability, check other cities close to Orlando and pay a mileage charge.

Of course if you booked a Partial/Tent site, the Class C would have no sewer hookups which would mean using the FW Comfort Stations for toilet and shower visits. But the RV would have power and water service (using the tanks if available for dishes etc.). Just so you/he knows going in.

These were the Disney rental tents from a few years ago. They have slanted walls which limit the interior space.

The interior fits about 3 cots (Disney rents them for a $5-10 fee per night or sleep on the ground.)

If there are newer rental tents I am not aware of them nor have I seen pix. The price you mentioned in the OP sounds close to what I remember.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your trip and good to see you posting again.

Bama Ed

PS - if CA is not available and that's the way you/son might want to go, another company does Class C rentals, El Monte. I have seen their units around the Fort.

https://www.elmonterv.com/

PPS - I have never heard of "rvshare" and have no input on them for the record.

Last edited:

PaHunter, yes the SOG was one place he called but they are booked up this December. SOG is nice but I am not very impressed by it. My husband is Army and I looked into it a few times! :)

I think the partial will be great for them but I would like to find pictures of the inside of the Fort tent!
I have stayed at SOG before and it was way better than the pictures depict it. We had a great time there and they also have a great breakfast deal and restaurant that is very reasonable. But if you want them to camp why don’t you have a tent and air mattress sent to your parents home and they can bring it in their RV for your son/girlfriend. You can find some nice ones online and would probably be cheaper than renting one and you’re parents would probably have room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter