need advice/encouragement/personal trainer question

qtwns

DIS Veteran
Hi all--I'm new to the WISH, but I hope I can get some answers here. I stopped using my personal trainer the end of Oct. after using him for about 9 months. Time and money were the main reasons I quit. Well, of course I got lazy and "let myself go." I have gained 10 lbs.since then (and I still needed to lose 15 when I quit.) Of course all my muscle went straight to fat. I have been changing my habits and my mind set for the past 3 weeks. I lost 3 lbs, but they are back for no apparent reason. My question is what is the best way to jump start real weight loss? I restarted WW today; am over 40 and don't want to get discouraged before I even really get started. I want to lose 10 lbs. by my WDW trip begining May 26 (and the rest by fall). TIA for any advice.

:welcome: to WISH qtwns!!

i'm sorry to read your' a bit blue -- but thankfully you have found the bestest place for motivation and encouragment! cyber high five for your first and second step of rejoining WW and then saying out loud your goals and habits to rethink. being accountable to WISH helps me tremendously! when i'm in a challenge often times i think "I can do this b/c my WISH buddies are too!" or "I have to stick with this, i couldn't bear to report in that i choose NOT too!" :blush:

i'll try to address some different questions here

I got lazy and "let myself go." I have gained 10 lbs.since then (and I still needed to lose 15 when I quit.) Of course all my muscle went straight to fat

ok, since you seem to be aware of your lack of disclipline in your workouts, that leads me to believe you are already education from your trainer. you know what to do, you just need to decide to do it, make a plan and stick to it! maybe? for me, i have to plan out my weeks exercising in advance, then i just do it without the debating with myself. i just do it b/c it's my plan for that day. also, i think that once you build muscle, it returns quicker than the inital effort to build it. i find that since i have before already worked the muscles, then slakced, when i come back they return quicker. maybe it's just me?

I lost 3 lbs, but they are back for no apparent reason.

another life factor that can be discouraging is fluctuation -- it happens we have to learn to accept it and be ok with it do a degree. for me it's about 4 lbs, it varies depending on salt, alcohol, TOM, activity, etc. remember the number on the scale is just that --- A NUMBER :crazy: it can play many mind tricks on you -- battle it by taking your measurements and watching the inches go down, you can't argue with that! when your clothes fit better you know you are getting leaner, healthier and trimmer. your weight will fluctuate also as you build muslce, burst through plateaus, etc

My question is what is the best way to jump start real weight loss?

i don't have :wizard: or maybe the discipline for this -- but i'm trying to follow
WW guide to higher protein eating hopefully this link will work, maybe not since i was signed in as WW online member? but search WW site for "healthy guide to higher protein eating" there are lots of different ways i think to get that jumpstart going, this is a plan that i feel is workable for me.

GOOD LUCK!! hang in there -- we can do this together!!

Welcome to WISH. I am sure that you will be able to find all the encouragement and motivation that you will ever need while you are here.

1) You have already set a goal for yourself. That is the most important thing to do. Now, we must obtain the focus and the determination on how to reach that goal. If being healthy or in shape was easy, this Country would not have such a high obesity rate.

2) Get back in the gym. Remember what your personal trainer had taught you. Where you getting the results that you were hoping for? If you were, try to duplicate the same types of workouts. Keep a high level of intensity when you are doing your workouts, especially doing cardio. I have been able to burn almost 1000 calories in an hour long cardio session. It can be done.

3) Clean up your diet. Get rid of fried foods, drinks with sugar, breads and try to eliminate as much sodium as you can. Think about when you are eating carbs, are they healthy carbs are useless calories? The sodium factor, of course, will cause you to retain water and it will keep you "soft".

4) Don't get discouraged. Nothing ever comes as soon as we want it too but we can't give up on our goals. Eventually, we will be able to obtain our goals. It does take work, dedication and focus but it can be done.

I applaude (?) you on wanting to be healthier and hope that we can be of assistance. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Have a great week! :thumbsup2

Just want to say "good luck" :goodvibes and I'm doing the big push too before leaving for WDW on May 26th too! I'm watching what I eat and really pushing the cardio!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter