Need advice... All Star resorts or Fort Wilderness Cabin

lpoeppelman

DIS Veteran
We have to stay an extra two nights and I don't want to pay two more nights at the Boardwalk so I want to do it as inexpensive as possible (onsite). Airfare is ridiculous for the dates we are going March 29 Sat-Sat but if I extend until Monday I will save around 1900! So I might as well stay another 2 nights! :goodvibes

We have two options:

• 2 rooms at an all star resort
  • 1 FW Cabin.

My mom and dad will have ECVs and I have never stayed at Fort Wilderness. If we get a cart, can they easily just drive to the dock on their ECV? If we have to board a bus to take it to the dock, then that defeats the purpose/advantage of staying at FW and I'd rather just stay at the All STars.

Any other opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Laura

FW is a pretty spread out resort -- depending on how close you are, they might be able to ride their ECV to the dock -- but, if they are on the far side away -- it might be pretty far. Best bet would be to look at the FW map and see if you could get a cabin close by.

Tom

We have to stay an extra two nights and I don't want to pay two more nights at the Boardwalk so I want to do it as inexpensive as possible (onsite). Airfare is ridiculous for the dates we are going March 29 Sat-Sat but if I extend until Monday I will save around 1900! So I might as well stay another 2 nights! :goodvibes

We have two options:

• 2 rooms at an all star resort
  • 1 FW Cabin.

My mom and dad will have ECVs and I have never stayed at Fort Wilderness. If we get a cart, can they easily just drive to the dock on their ECV? If we have to board a bus to take it to the dock, then that defeats the purpose/advantage of staying at FW and I'd rather just stay at the All STars.

Any other opinions are welcome!

Thanks,
Laura

Well, if you stay at Fort Wilderness, you'll need an accessible cabin. Those have a long ramp for ECVs, which is nice. I don't have any idea where two ECVs will fit inside, though.

Even though I love Fort Wilderness, I think an All-Star will be better for their situation. Especially if they get a handicapped accessible room, it will have one king bed and should have enough room for both ECVs. A regular room would be tight with two ECVs.

Hope that helps.

It has been many years since we stayed at FW, but plan to stay there for the last part of our trip this January. I really like having a living room area and a bedroom, only downsize is that they only have one bathroom. However, with that being said, I loved it there! We did rent a golf cart while we were there because it is so spread out, but we really enjoyed staying there! The golf cart just made everything easier!

What are your other plans for those days?

If you are planning on the parks, then I would stay at the All-Stars. Much easier to get in and out of.

However, if they are no park days, then I would stay at the Fort to take advantage of all their activities.

Here is a post with pictures of a HC cabin at FW from my stay in 2010: FW HC Cabin Pictures. Luckily that trip, we just had my sister's rollator, but she needed the roll-in shower and occasionally the ramp. The hallway is wide and you could probably put 2 EVCs there if you position them correctly.

The loops with the cabins do not have sidewalks, but once you get to the main roads, there are sidewalks. Here is a map to let you know where things are in comparison to the cabins (loops 2100-2800): WDWINFO FW Map. It is a bit older, has the Kennels still listed, but it is the best one I have been able to find with ease of viewing.

If you plan to use WDW transportation to the parks other than MK, then you will need to take the buses from the front entrance of FW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter