National Rate for Mini-Van Without Emerald Club Better???

msmouse

<font color=darkorchid>ok, don't know that I can b
I was able to get a Mini-Van from 9/30-10/6 for $142.02. Best price yet. Better than the Alamo rate. However, it shows counter service. When I try to get the same thing using same codes going thru my Emeral Club membership, the price jumps $50.00. Strange.

Yes, the new website has lots of bugs; one of them is it isn't taking Contract codes when you are logged in as an Emerald Club member.

I hope they fix all the bugs soon.

When I'm not logged in my total is $75, when I log in, my total is $90. It's like they are jacking up the price for EC members. So far I do NOT like this new website.

LOL, it's funny to read this post, I tried posting the EXACT same thing last night, but for some reason it wouldn't go through. In addition, we are going the EXACT same dates as you! For some reason though, my rate came to $139.38. Anyway, the first time I checked the rates I didn't put in my EC # because I didn't see the line it at the bottom of the screen for it - not used to the new webpage. I did put in both the contract ID and the coupon code. What I noticed was that the minivan base rate was $135.99, cheaper than the full size I already have. However, when I clicked to reserve it, I got the message that my level of service was COUNTER, same as you. I then realized that I hadn't put in my EC #, and went back to change it. Here's what gets me: In addition to the contract code not working (I didn't get a message that it wasn't good, it just didn't take off the concession fee), the BASE rate for the minivan was now $169.99! WTH? So they are not taking the contract code AND also charging $30 more to bypass the counter? That's outrageous! I guess it pays NOT to be an EC member. Maybe they are trying to phase out the counter bypass by charging more for it? I hope not!

MrsMud said:
LOL, it's funny to read this post, I tried posting the EXACT same thing last night, but for some reason it wouldn't go through. In addition, we are going the EXACT same dates as you! For some reason though, my rate came to $139.38. Anyway, the first time I checked the rates I didn't put in my EC # because I didn't see the line it at the bottom of the screen for it - not used to the new webpage. I did put in both the contract ID and the coupon code. What I noticed was that the minivan base rate was $135.99, cheaper than the full size I already have. However, when I clicked to reserve it, I got the message that my level of service was COUNTER, same as you. I then realized that I hadn't put in my EC #, and went back to change it. Here's what gets me: In addition to the contract code not working (I didn't get a message that it wasn't good, it just didn't take off the concession fee), the BASE rate for the minivan was now $169.99! WTH? So they are not taking the contract code AND also charging $30 more to bypass the counter? That's outrageous! I guess it pays NOT to be an EC member. Maybe they are trying to phase out the counter bypass by charging more for it? I hope not!

I did email National. I will report if they respond. UPDATE. Just received a notice that they did receive my email and will respond in 24 hours.

I can't seem to get the lower minivan rate, and my travel dates are the same.

Will it make a difference, standing in line at the counter at Alamo or National, if they won't let you bypass the counter with an EC membership?

ugh.

I hate change, LOL...

madge said:
I can't seem to get the lower minivan rate, and my travel dates are the same.

Will it make a difference, standing in line at the counter at Alamo or National, if they won't let you bypass the counter with an EC membership?

ugh.

I hate change, LOL...

The beauty of going with National was being able to by pass the counter. But, for $60.00, I guess I will wait in the lines. I will just pretend it is a Disney ride. :earboy2:

I just called the emerald club directly. I reported that I was getting a higher rate using the website when keying in my membership. She adjusted things on her end, so I now have my Mini Van for $140.00 TOTAL and I am able to by pass the counter and go directly to the reserve lane. Whew!

msmouse said:
I just called the emerald club directly. I reported that I was getting a higher rate using the website when keying in my membership. She adjusted things on her end, so I now have my Mini Van for $140.00 TOTAL and I am able to by pass the counter and go directly to the reserve lane. Whew!

Did you book before you call? I can finally get the lower rate not logged in, but like everyone else, it goes up when I log into my account.

madge said:
Did you book before you call? I can finally get the lower rate not logged in, but like everyone else, it goes up when I log into my account.

Yes, I did reserve it as I was willing to wait in the lines if necessary.

msmouse said:
Yes, I did reserve it as I was willing to wait in the lines if necessary.

One last question, LOL...Does the use of a coupon bump you back to the counter, regardless of whether or not you belong to the EC?

madge said:
One last question, LOL...Does the use of a coupon bump you back to the counter, regardless of whether or not you belong to the EC?

Not with National. I noticed that Alamo would not let you bypass with a coupon. However, I do not see that stipulation with National. In fact, when the lady with National booked this for me (I could not do it on their website), she told me all of the codes she was using and the coupon was one of them. Now, unless you are a member of the Emerald Club, I don't think you can bypass. Anyone else agree?

I am not sure that I am getting this ..... I am using the Carlson code as well as an Entertainment coupon and it is telling me that I have to go to the counter .... so how do I bypass and go to the garage?

msmouse said:

OK....I think I just spoke to the least helpful Emerald Club CSR in the history of the rental car industry :confused3 He told me that of course my Emeral Club reservation would be more expensive and that I shouldn't expect the rates to be the same?

I think I'll be calling them back, now....

Do these people not have a clue how these things work?? No one can change my reservation to Emerald Club??

madge said:
OK....I think I just spoke to the least helpful Emerald Club CSR in the history of the rental car industry :confused3 He told me that of course my Emeral Club reservation would be more expensive and that I shouldn't expect the rates to be the same?

I think I'll be calling them back, now....

Do these people not have a clue how these things work?? No one can change my reservation to Emerald Club??

For goodness sakes! Yes, call back. I did get my confirmed email about my reservation that shows Emerald Reserve for a Mini Van for $140.00. Don't you just love people like him? He obviously "loves" his job. :rolleyes1

I called this morning and first got someone who was no help at all. I called back a second time and the woman changed it for me over the phone, no problem. I now have a 6 day minivan rental, Emerald Reserve, for $139!

BTW, msmouse, I found out what your extra 3 dollars is. They charge $.50 per day extra if you have indicated "Free rentals" as your rewards on your profile. I asked her to get rid of it, and she did, just like that. :wizard:

MrsMud said:
I called this morning and first got someone who was no help at all. I called back a second time and the woman changed it for me over the phone, no problem. I now have a 6 day minivan rental, Emerald Reserve, for $139!

BTW, msmouse, I found out what your extra 3 dollars is. They charge $.50 per day extra if you have indicated "Free rentals" as your rewards on your profile. I asked her to get rid of it, and she did, just like that. :wizard:
Am I asking for the wrong thing? I got through all the details of my reservation, explain that the Emerald Club rate is higher, and I'd like to change from a counter ressie to a EC one.

I called a second time, got a lovely CS Rep, but she couldn't/wouldn't change it. hmph.

I would keep calling. It seems like it depends who you get on the other end of the phone. Good luck!

madge said:

The only coupon that will require you to go to the counter is a free upgrade. Otherwise, you just pick your car and drive up to the booth with your paperwork, including your coupon(s).

Would any of you share the coupon codes and contract codes you used to get those low minivan prices. We are traveling 10/27 and our rate quote was much higher. I went to Mousesavers and spent a lot of time using the codes and took the lowest, which was $293 after all the fees. I am sure I can do better and when I called EA service yesterday, the woman quoted me a higher price!

MrsMud said:
I would keep calling. It seems like it depends who you get on the other end of the phone. Good luck!

it must, and I must have the worst luck of any human being alive. NO ONE from the Emerald Club will help me. :rolleyes:

I give up. It isn't worth it, LOL....My minivan rate is cheaper (slightly) from Alamo, anyway. I just wanted to keep my reservation with National to get the credit for a free rental. I also have an EA reservation, too. It would have been nice to secure a minivan and get the rental credit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter