Napa Rose Chef Counter with an 11yo

Disney Lvr of Old

DIS Veteran
hi. Planning February getaway. My 11 year old is an aspiring chef and I’d like to book the Chef’s counter. Are children allowed? The cost isn’t an issue but I don’t want to get his hopes up if he can’t go. Thanks in advance!

Yes! Children are allowed and very much welcome. We took our kids when DD was about 10 and DS 15. The chef came over to talk with them specifically about what they liked to eat though there is a kid's Napa Rose menu they can order off of too. DD wanted the kid's steak and mashed potato standard entree so the chef came up with some creative small bites for her so she had fun little things to eat as DH, DS and I had a multi course tasting menu. We had a blast watching the activity in the kitchen and chatting with the staff. We did it on our non-parks day, and so topped it off by walking over the the esplanade to watch fireworks from there. This was approx 6 years ago and I still remember it as one of the best Dland experiences we've ever had.

Absolutely if they are into it. It can me more of a two hour + multi course experience than just a typical dinner reservation where you can be in and out in 45 min...so as long as they are prepared for the experience go for it!

Tip from experience: book the later seating if you have the option. There are two seatings a night and we have found that with the first seating at restaurant opening staff is so frenzied getting everything going you get much less attention and more rushed than you are at the later seating.

hi. Planning February getaway. My 11 year old is an aspiring chef and I’d like to book the Chef’s counter...!

Thanks for the replies. I’m calling tomorrow!

Is this for a birthday celebration? (Wear your birthday button!!) If so, you can have a custom cake delivered to the Chef's Counter. I've seen some really cute Disney cakes at the Dessert Counter. :)

Is this for a birthday celebration? (Wear your birthday button!!) If so, you can have a custom cake delivered to the Chef's Counter. I've seen some really cute Disney cakes at the Dessert Counter. :)

I do plan to make this my birthday dinner and i love the idea of a cake. mmmmmm CAKE...

My cheap quick trip is getting a little pricier....:p

Whilst children are not prohibited, it’s a high end, fine dining restaurant, with the chefs counter a level up from this

Please consider other diners who may prefer to enjoy their meal without having children around. Kids will be kids, and that’s totally ok, but literally every other restaurant within DLR is geared towards them, why take them to the one restaurant which isn’t?

At age 11, especially if he's interested in becoming a chef in the future, the OP's son should be fine. If he makes his interest known and that he is open to chatting, the chefs will interact with him throughout the meal. If there are any dietary needs/issues, the OP can note them at the time of making the reservation and repeat them at check in.
We've been seated at the Counter next to poorly behaved adults. A well behaved 11 yo with a genuine interest in food would have been a welcome relief!

At age 11, especially if he's interested in becoming a chef in the future, the OP's son should be fine.

Having eaten at the chefs counter previously, and with children who are now a similar age, I must say I disagree

Even a well behaved child, is still a child, adults come to Napa Rose to get away from children & family groups and enjoy an evening in the company of other adults. In my opinion, the presence of a child in an adult environment, no matter how well behaved, will be of detriment to the vibe, particularly in such an intimate setting as the chefs counter.

At age 11, especially if he's interested in becoming a chef in the future, the OP's son should be fine. If he makes his interest known and that he is open to chatting, the chefs will interact with him throughout the meal. If there are any dietary needs/issues, the OP can note them at the time of making the reservation and repeat them at check in.
We've been seated at the Counter next to poorly behaved adults. A well behaved 11 yo with a genuine interest in food would have been a welcome relief!

Thank you for this.

Having eaten at the chefs counter previously, and with children who are now a similar age, I must say I disagree

Even a well behaved child, is still a child, adults come to Napa Rose to get away from children & family groups and enjoy an evening in the company of other adults. In my opinion, the presence of a child in an adult environment, no matter how well behaved, will be of detriment to the vibe, particularly in such an intimate setting as the chefs counter.

Weird. The young couple who sat next to my 10yo daughter and me when we did the Chef's Counter thought it was an absolute delight sitting next to us and interacted with her frequently, getting her opinions on how she was enjoying it. Either that, or they are the best actors I have ever seen.

It has literally never crossed my mind that Napa Rose is the adults-only restaurant that you're describing. There are ALWAYS kids in there, or there have been in the dozen or so times I've been in there.

YOU know your kid best. Since your son wants to be a chef, I think it’s a GREAT idea. Just prep him ahead of time about what the experience will be like and do your normal parent stuff of reminding him about manners and such in a fancy restaurant. You will be just fine.

Weird. The young couple who sat next to my 10yo daughter and me when we did the Chef's Counter thought it was an absolute delight sitting next to us and interacted with her frequently, getting her opinions on how she was enjoying it. Either that, or they are the best actors I have ever seen.

It has literally never crossed my mind that Napa Rose is the adults-only restaurant that you're describing. There are ALWAYS kids in there, or there have been in the dozen or so times I've been in there.

I agree and don’t think you can consider anything adults only in Disneyland. Like what would the appropriate age cut off be? 13, 16, 21? When I want kid free time the last place I think is Disney

While I agree to a small degree with a previous poster about misbehaving children causing issues and ruining an expensive meal, it sounds like your 11yo is the type to handle the situation well. My granddaughter, who just turned 8, would handle the atmosphere well, she wouldn't enjoy the food. But I wouldn't take her to Napa, because I know she wouldn't enjoy. I see families not understanding "fine dining" and how long it can be, and bringing children unprepared. An example is Club 33. Children are welcome, but in the dining room, phones and iPads are not allowed. And you hear of people saying "We are going to bring the kids and they can play on their iPads." Then their sponsor gets written up for it. Or not taking a crying child out of any restaurant. But it bothers me just as much when adults (who are responsible in al of the above situations) want to ban children from a restaurant. Parents just need to be honest with themselves about their children. I know my granddaughter can handle the long meals as long as she can have food she likes. My grandson, who is 3, can handle long meals and is a much more adventurous eater. And he does great. But then I have nephews who I don't even want to go to McDonalds with.

Napa Rose is not a restaurant to "get away from kids". If you feel your son will enjoy and can enjoy, have a GREAT time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!