MyDisney Experience+hotel costs

diskam

Mouseketeer
I'm taking a trip soon with my mom amd aunt, my treat, and I don't want them to see the hotel cost if possible. Does it show on the mydisney app? Seeing charges TO the room is fine, I just don't want them to see the total cost and feel like they need to chip in.

I don't see any cost on the app now, but I'm not sure if it will show up after we check in. Even if shows up on mine, but not theirs, it's fine.

They’re a folder in my resort page that will have daily charges for room, taxes, whatever you charge to room w magic band. You have to look for it. Don’t know if other people on reservation can see it if you are the one managing all the people on the reservation in MDE .

They’re a folder in my resort page that will have daily charges for room, taxes, whatever you charge to room w magic band. You have to look for it. Don’t know if other people on reservation can see it if you are the one managing all the people on the reservation in MDE .

They can see it in their own MDE if they are linked and the friend/family also have the reservation in their own MDE.

Thanks, and rats! I guess we'll do magic bands then.
I don't see how whether or not you and your family are using magic bands changes the situation. If they are named on the reservation, they can link and view the reservation on their phone/computer. And if they're not named, that's going to cause a different set of problems when you want to use something like early entry or extra magic hours that is available for on site guests.

They are named, but do not have accounts to link. I think I can just set up the bands for them without linking them to anything other than the reservation.

They are named, but do not have accounts to link. I think I can just set up the bands for them without linking them to anything other than the reservation.
Bands without MDE are unworking bands. Literally they don’t do anything. MDE is a central location, everything else accesses it and only contains data to access MDE. Nothing is stored on your band except the internal Disney code to access MDE. If their hotel reservation is not loaded to their MDE they won’t get early entry or be able to enter their rooms or pool. If their ticket isn’t linked to MDE no G+ or ILL or ability to use the band to enter the park.

You’re gonna have to deal with the risk they might poke around the MDE app and find the folio- but it will take a bit of poking around to do it.

MDE may show what the resort charges are, but you would have to actively look for this. I didn't even know this existed until someone here on the DIS mentioned it and I go to WDW 2 or 3 times a year yet I've never looked for this.

Unless the group you're traveling with is incredibly curious about the room charges and would spend time messing with MDE just to find this, I seriously doubt they'd either look for this or find it. It's not like it's on the first page of MDE when you open it and it says Look here! This is your hotel bill!

ETA: I think you're worried for nothing about this. And, let's face it, someone could offer to pay you for the room even if they didn't see what it cost. Furthermore, anyone who was curious could easily look on the Disney site and see what their room would cost--so they could be looking right now.

Hi, mistress of deception here! You can always tell them that the price shown doesn't reflect the *amazing* discount you got! I've done this with my folks, who would never dream of paying even $200 a night, let alone what our WDW hotel cost.

I asked something similar so my parents wouldn’t see. There isn’t a way for them not to unfortunately. If they go looking for it they’ll be able to see all charges

You could control them in your MDE, like children. But then they would have no access to anything unless they were logged in as you, and then they could see all of it anyway. This is still an idea if you give them access as you and then change the password as soon as they don't need it. It is hard to find the folio, and if you change the password before they do it, they will be out of luck.

DVC reservations just show points, but sounds like it's too late for that.

A very clunky way you could do this is to not assign them to your room and instead get yourself a couple of cards. Give your cards to them, and they would have access to the room as "you" but use their MDE for everything else. This could be problematic because their MDE (tickets) would not be tied to a room reservation. That could matter with after hours or park reservations (or if they lose "their" key) or early entry. I could do this with the pile of old Magic Bands I have lying around.

I cannot believe the hoops you guys are willing to jump through for probably zero reason.

If the people whom you don't want to see the room charges are that Disney savvy, then they already know what the room probably costs--at least a ballpark number. All they have to do is try a mock booking themselves or look on mousesavers or AllEars or even Expedia.

I mean, if someone is that unaware of what Disney room charges are, I highly doubt they'd be rooting around MDE to try to find these things. MDE is unintuitive enough--finding the room charges would require a lot of digging when they could just look on the Disney site and find out at least an approximation of the room charges if they wanted to know. The people here who are advising you are very familiar with MDE and where to find these things.

As I've said above, I'm very Disney savvy and I had no idea this was on the MDE app because I've never looked for it there.

Meanwhile, what is the point of keeping something so easy to find out about--without the MDE app or even any app--a secret? I guess I don't believe in secrets. It seems like a waste of time to me. How about a simple "It doesn't matter what it costs because I'm paying for it so just relax and have a good time"? Or "It's a gift"?

I cannot believe the hoops you guys are willing to jump through for probably zero reason.

If the people whom you don't want to see the room charges are that Disney savvy, then they already know what the room probably costs--at least a ballpark number. All they have to do is try a mock booking themselves or look on mousesavers or AllEars or even Expedia.

I mean, if someone is that unaware of what Disney room charges are, I highly doubt they'd be rooting around MDE to try to find these things. MDE is unintuitive enough--finding the room charges would require a lot of digging when they could just look on the Disney site and find out at least an approximation of the room charges if they wanted to know. The people here who are advising you are very familiar with MDE and where to find these things.

As I've said above, I'm very Disney savvy and I had no idea this was on the MDE app because I've never looked for it there.

Meanwhile, what is the point of keeping something so easy to find out about--without the MDE app or even any app--a secret? I guess I don't believe in secrets. It seems like a waste of time to me. How about a simple "It doesn't matter what it costs because I'm paying for it so just relax and have a good time"? Or "It's a gift"?
Yeah, I just smiled and said, “I got a good deal, just enjoy” and case closed. If they looked around on the website and tried to price the room or explored MDE then so be it. I didn’t even know this was in MDE.

No one else in my party used the app anyway. I made all the reservations and their bands worked just fine

Money can cause weird issues with cultural and family dynamics, and this can be a lot of money! I totally see why this might not be something people want to broadcast. I don't understand why non-lead guests can see it at all. It should at least be a feature that you can turn off. But, Disney IT.

I'm taking a trip soon with my mom amd aunt, my treat, and I don't want them to see the hotel cost if possible. Does it show on the mydisney app? Seeing charges TO the room is fine, I just don't want them to see the total cost and feel like they need to chip in.

I don't see any cost on the app now, but I'm not sure if it will show up after we check in. Even if shows up on mine, but not theirs, it's fine.

So the long and short answer is it depends.
If you've booked a package, I think you can only see the total cost on the website. If you've booked room only, after you complete online check in, I think you can see the nightly cost of the room in the folio. Or I was able to see it in the folio when the front desk re-did my reservation from a package to a room only so I could add people at check in.

But you do have to be actively looking for it in the app.

So the long and short answer is it depends.
If you've booked a package, I think you can only see the total cost on the website. If you've booked room only, after you complete online check in, I think you can see the nightly cost of the room in the folio. Or I was able to see it in the folio when the front desk re-did my reservation from a package to a room only so I could add people at check in.

But you do have to be actively looking for it in the app.
The bolded sentence is the crux of the thing. OP, would your people be actively looking for it on the app? It is no obvious at all. And, if they would be actively looking for it, as I said, there are many other ways they could research this information.

I think you should just forget about this possibility. It's quite remote.

I personally don’t find it all that hard to find, relatively speaking. It’s only a few clicks away and right next to potentially frequently used (for some) features like opening your room door and looking at bus times. Obviously some won’t use those features at all and have no reason to get that far in the app, but some do.

F6B5AC0D-429F-4281-B6D9-73C83760F2FA.jpeg

I personally don’t find it all that hard to find, relatively speaking. It’s only a few clicks away and right next to potentially frequently used (for some) features like opening your room door and looking at bus times. Obviously some won’t use those features at all and have no reason to get that far in the app, but some do.

View attachment 737249
I had no clue, since I never use the Unlock Door feature.

I'm still having a hard time reconciling the idea that someone who would have no idea what a room at WDW would cost would also be someone who'd be using MDE for all these features.

Anyone can find out what a room at WDW would cost. It doesn't take looking at the app. It's easily accessible information. So if the OP's relatives really wanted to know, they could find the information with very little effort.

I guess because I'm not a secret-keeper all this subterfuge is beyond me. If the OP's parents(? I forget who this was) would see the charges and insist on paying, the OP could just politely refuse. After all, it's a gift, and the recipient doesn't pay for the gift.

It’s very easy to manage an adult in your party on MDE, they don’t need their own account linked out. My spouse was managed by me until last year, when it made sense for him to be able to do mobile orders we set up his account and linked it out.

From my understanding, the MyDisney Experience app shouldn't show the total cost of the hotel reservation once you've checked in. It may show charges for the room but not the overall cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter