• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"My Peoples" - 2005

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
This comes from the Herald-Dispatch (which covers W. Virginia, Ohio & Kentucky):
The Tri-State got a bit of Hollywood buzz back in September when Disney producer Kendra Haaland (associate producer of "Atlantis: The Lost Empire," "Mulan" and "Hercules") led a team of artists to the Folk Art Center in Morehead, Ky., as well as to the Huntington Museum of Art [in W. VA] to check out the work of the late Lewis County folk artist Charles Kinney.

Haaland said then the trip was for an animated movie project still in the early stages, and didn’t want to leak out much more.

However, since then, a few more pieces of the project’s puzzle have come together.

USA TODAY confirmed that CNN’s James Carville joins Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin, Lou Rawl and Travis Tritt in providing voices for a new animated Disney project (set for release in 2005) that has a current working title of "My Peoples."

The Gannett newspaper also reported that the movie will include characters (toys made of found objects such as plates, buttons and pens) that come to life.

Disney was back in the area in late November auditioning more than 400 boys between the ages of 5 and 10 at the Mountain Arts Center in Prestonsburg for a speaking part in the movie. Auditions, which were looking for a boy with a good Southern accent, were also held in North Carolina.

Ann Lafferty, spokeswoman at the MAC, e-mailed to report that kindergarten student Daniel Holbert, the 5-year-old son of Penny and Teresa Holbert of McDowell, Ky., made it to the next round of auditions, which were held in Orlando.

Also, speaking of boys with a Southern accent, Lawrence County, Ky., native Ricky Skaggs has been named executive music producer/music consultant for the soundtrack, so says Lori Kampa, one of the folks in Skaggs’ Nashville-area office. Kampa wrote in an e-mail saying that Hank Williams III, Dolly Parton, Travis Tritt, Lou Rawls and Mike Snyder are among the other musical guests lending talent to the movie soundtrack.
First I've heard of this. Anyone got any more info?

Sarangel

Dolly Parton, Lou Rawls AND James Carvelle?? Sounds great! Where do I get tickets ahead of time?? Wow! What a powerhouse! Maybe Martin Sheen can chain himself to the theater doors for the premiere.

The title is "My Peoples"? How racist is that? Why not call it "My Homies"?
Hasn't Disney figured out that the politically correct animated movies just don't make it? (ie Pocohantas, Hunchback, etc)

Oh well, I guess I'm waiting until 2008 for another chance.

Roy

It's rumored that the film's name is not set in stone. Another name that has surfaced recently is "Once in a Blue Moon". Regarding any racist overtones that might be perceived based upon the title, James Carville sums it up best in a quote from a Washington Post article last fall where he stated that "It's going to be a respectful movie about Appalachian culture."

While still sketchy, My Peoples, or whatever it ends up being called, can be descibed as a backwoods bluegrass musical that features 2-D characters that interact with 3-D props and settings: it centers on a folk art puppet version of Abraham Lincoln (voiced by Hal Holbrook) that’s been crafted out of an old push broom. Kentucky native Ricky Skaggs will compose the sountrack, which will feature titles by Dolly Parton, Travis Tritt, Hank Williams III and Mike Snyder. It is also rumored that Ashley Judd is invlolved in the film at this point.

Sounds thrilling...let's bash "the rednecks" again. I'm sorry but this just doesn't sound like something that is going to be all that enjoyable to my kids...aren't the KIDS the people that Disney makes these movies for?? Leave the political hack stuff to the "West Wing" or
to Mike Farrell. (Wasn't he BJ Honeycutt on Mash 40 years ago?) And please Disney, don't give me any nonsense about this being a tender and loving look at hillbillies or the bluegrass culture....there can only be ONE reason that Eisner's friend James Carvelle is involved and that's to put his "in your face" liberal ideals on the big screen. Make movies about princesses and fairy tales...don't make Disney animation into liberal propaganda force fed to our kids. They get enough of that on TV.

Roy

P.S. I also wouldn't want to see Rush Limbaugh or Trent Lott be featured in a Disney cartoon either.

Political affiliations aside, Mr Carville was quoted in that same Washington Post interview as saying that the reason he wanted to do this film was:

"I'm interested in having fun," Carville told us. "With a 7- and 4-year-old daughter, what dad wouldn't want to do that?" Carville, with his ragin' Cajun accent, would play a hillbilly

This is the same old response given by countless of other famous personalities. They simply want to look cool in their children's eyes, and leave something behind in the process that's enduring for future generations to enjoy. You can dislike the man for what he stands for, but as far as intent I don't buy the whole political conspiracy theory. This is a family man who's simply doing it for his kids. I would do the same if given the chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter