• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Open Letter to Disney.....A Loyal Guest Speaks Out

DisneyKidds

<font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo
Most of you know me. I'll say it...........I am probably one of the bigger Disney aplogists on this board :eek:. I love Disney. We all do. I still think Disney's offerings are unique and of great value. We don't all feel that. But let's put that aside. At this point I can't be removed from car 2 when it comes to Disney's offerings. However.......................

As much as I love Disney, their recent record on relationship management sucks. While I believe what Disney offers is great, although diminished from Disney's heyday, I think Disney takes for granted that their biggest fans will not abandon them, no matter what the company does. That is a mistake.

Is Disney relationship management so integral to the Magic that one cannot seperate it from the existing carpools, or can I still be in car 2 operations wise while I'm falling out of car 3 relationship management wise? I really don't know. As Baron and others might point out, I seem to be having a bit of an identity crisis :crazy:. Anywho, the following is a letter I am sending to Disney to make my feelings know, as it has been a while sinced I bared my Disney soul.............................
April 23, 2003

Ms. Dinah Keefe, Vice President, Disney Relationship Management
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-0239

Dear Ms. Keefe,

I am writing this letter to you out of my desire to make Disney aware of how its current business practices, and many of its recent decisions, have affected the thoughts and feelings of one of Disney’s biggest fans, and one of Disney’s most loyal customers.

Let me first say that I love Disney. I love the fundamental philosophy on which Walt Disney built the company. I love the vacation experience that WDW provides my family. I love the Disney products and merchandise that have sparked my children’s imagination. We own stock in The Walt Disney Company. We call two of the Disney Vacation Club resorts “home” as we own at both the Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Boardwalk Villas. My first visit to WDW was in 1972, and my family and I have been visiting WDW two to three times per year for the last twelve years. We currently have Disney reservations for trips in May and November/December. We have been long term members of both the Magic Kingdom Club and the Disney Club. We have been annual pass holders for a number of years. Suffice to say that a good portion of our disposable income is used to purchase a myriad of Disney products, including merchandise, movies, tickets to theatrical releases, etc. We fully expect to visit the California theme parks when time allows, and plan to incorporate a visit to the Paris theme parks when we travel abroad next year. I am confident that you would be hard pressed to find more loyal, long term Disney guests and consumers than myself and my family. I even spend a good portion of my time defending Disney and many of its decisions and actions on numerous internet bulletin boards. It takes a lot for a company to develop the feelings and memories that drive a consumer today to view a company so favorably and be so loyal.

So why the need for this letter? The need is simple. It is becoming more and more apparent to me that Disney doesn’t seem to value, as much today as it did in the past, the loyalty that consumers such as myself have for the company. It doesn’t appear that Disney currently seeks to create and enhance the future brand loyalty that is so important for companies like yours. I have seen many things happen within The Walt Disney Company over the years. I have paid close attention to all things Disney. I pay attention to the state of the WDW theme parks, including hours, attractions, entertainment, maintenance, and pricing, all of these things except for pricing having a negative trend while that pricing has steadily gone in the opposite direction. I pay attention to developments at the Disney resorts and have watched as sections of certain resorts are shut down for periods, while Pop Century will remain unused until the long delayed opening of December 14, 2003. I have watched as Disney has expanded with acquisitions such as the Ducks and Angels, the Family Channel, Go.com, ABC, ESPN, etc., many acquisitions which have not generated positive results for Disney and have eroded the value of Disney stock, lowered Disney bond ratings, and taxed the theme park operations to a great degree. I also realize that Disney is taking steps to refocus on its core business with the recent agreement to sell the Angels and the fact that Disney is attempting to sell the Ducks. Despite all these things I still find myself able to come to the defense of The Walt Disney Company as I know there are too many factors to mention that directly impact all of these operations. Despite all of these things I find myself able to come to Disney’s defense as I continue to find Disney a unique provider of family entertainment and a good (used to be great) value for my dollar.

So, again, why the need for this letter? I feel the need to communicate to you that Disney can not take all of what I say above for granted. I have looked past the reduced operating hours and the lack of exciting, quality additions at the theme parks. I have looked past the decline in maintenance and cleanliness. I have looked past the things that have diverted Disney’s attention from its core business. I have looked past the many things that have directly affected, in a negative way, the traditions of Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency that Walt Disney founded the Disney theme park business on. I am confident that, as the economy and tourism rebound, Disney will take steps to reverse the negative trends of the recent past. Mission:Space, PhilharMagic, and Mr. Eisner’s informal announcement at the stockholders meeting, and Disney’s subsequent formal announcement on the Animal Kingdom’s fifth anniversary, of the Expedition Everest attraction shows that Disney will continue to invest in major E-ticket attractions, despite the fact that such investment as been too little over the past 5 years. The thing that I am having difficulty looking past now is Disney’s current record and trend on relationship management. Two particular things come to mind as prime examples of Disney’s failure in brand and relationship management, and Disney’s apparent lack of value for customer loyalty.

The first of those items is the discontinuation of the Disney Club and addition of the Disney Bank One Visa Card. While I realize that Disney has not formally announced the Bank One Visa as the ‘official’ replacement for the DC, this has been an extremely disappointing development to me. On a personal note, we have chosen not to apply for this card. We have worked very hard to eliminate credit cards so the last thing I want is another one. Given that the reward points are not as attractive as most other rewards cards and there don't seem to be many Disney Club type discounts attached to this card, I can't see replacing one of my long term, existing, lower interest rate credit cards with this one. From a business perspective, Disney has excluded some of their most loyal guests and has also allowed Bank One to determine which Disney consumers who do apply will have the privilege of taking advantage of whatever discounts are available with this card, discounts that are an unacceptable replacement for the Disney Club. I don’t believe it is in Disney’s long term interest to require customers to apply for a credit card in order for the relationship between Disney and some of its best customers to be recognized. As one of Disney’s most loyal consumers who has chosen not to apply for this credit card, I will no longer have access to some of the discounts on Disney resorts, packages, theme park annual passes, merchandise and dining that I once did. I can live with that if that is the business reality that Disney believes must exist. However, the natural consequence of that is that I may not spend as much on these things in the future as I once did. The negative trends regarding the parks that I noted above, combined with the fact that many discounts will no longer be available to me, have me seriously considering canceling some of my December Disney reservations and spending the majority of that nine day, traditionally Disney, trip at other Orlando area theme parks that seem to be actively trying to increase guest value and develop the guest loyalty that Disney used to be so good at creating. Let me point out that in twelve years of semi-annual trips to Disney I have never felt the need or desire to spend a day outside of the Disney theme parks. It saddens me that I cannot say the same at this moment.

The second item that comes to mind as an example of Disney’s failure to recognize and build upon the brand loyalty that exists for Disney is the situation regarding Disney resort discounts, particularly annual pass holder discounts. I fully realize that owning a Disney annual pass doe s not entitle anyone to resort discounts. Managing the resorts is a complicated process, occupancy rates are a key factor, and discounts will not always be available. I realize that Disney has made numerous discounts available, via the use of discount codes, to those that are aware of how the Disney resorts reservation system works. What is troubling to me is that there are numerous resort discounts being made available to select guests that are greater than any currently available public discounts. These discounts show that current occupancy rates allow for such discounts, yet Disney has chosen to exclude many of their most loyal customers from these discounts, discounts that have traditionally been available to loyal, annual pass holding customers. Even the annual pass holder resort discounts that were released on April 21 do not alleviate this situation as those discounts are not as favorable as other available discounts for a number of resorts. Perhaps Disney feels that these loyal customers are going to continue to spend their money on Disney resorts without being given access to larger discounts that are currently available to others. This is a very dangerous assumption. Case in point is our May trip this year. We will be adding a night to this trip. We would like that night to be at the Grand Floridian. As one of Disney’s most loyal customers who does not have access to the best discounts for the time period, I will not spend that night at the Grand Floridian and will likely take that business off-site. While the recently released annual pass holder discounts might change that, once again Disney has failed to give me a reason to be excited about returning and Disney has shown that they currently appear to have no desire to offer the best available discounts to their most loyal guests.

These are just two symptoms of what I see as a larger problem that is affecting the entire organization. These are just two symptoms of the trend I see for Disney to be so focused on short term profitability and enhancement to the bottom line that the larger picture involving guest value and brand loyalty has completely been obscured. The Disney that many of us fell in love with, the Disney that we know today and owe to Walt Disney, was not built around such a narrow, bottom line focus. In my opinion, Disney should be in the business of giving me reasons to look forward to coming back and giving me more opportunities to feel as though I am part of the Magic. Unfortunately, events of the past few years have me considering other Orlando alternatives and have succeeded in making me feel one more step removed from the Magic. That can’t be the result Disney has been looking for, but it is a reality. All of this is not written in an attempt to have the Disney Club reinstated, or to have annual pass holder discounts match the best available resort rates, or to obtain any particular discount. Rather, as someone who loves Disney and all it stands for, I feel the need to communicate how many of the Disney decisions of the recent past have a real effect on the goodwill and positive feelings that lifelong Disney fans have toward the company. There are many more things that I could reference that are indicative of Disney’s tendency to depart from those actions and policies that have created such loyalty to Disney in the past. Should you desire to discuss those I’d be happy to do so.

In the end, my family will continue to enjoy our visits to Disney. However, the trends and actions I reference make me worry about the future of The Walt Disney Company as I don’t know if we will visit Disney as much if those trends continue. Unfortunately, I am not alone in that thinking. I shared my thoughts and this letter on one of the Disney internet discussion boards that I frequent and dozens of people indicated their desire to put their name to this very letter. Those people are just the tip of the iceberg of people that have these feelings. I thank you for taking the time to read this letter and hope that you value this input from one of Disney’s biggest fans. Given that I still love Disney, I only want to see The Walt Disney Company be as successful in the future as it has been in the past, as I’m sure you do.

Sincerely,

Cc:

Mr. Robert A. Iger
President
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-1062

Mr. Andrew Mooney
President, Disney Consumer Products Worldwide
Burbank, CA 91521-6922

Mr. Roy E. Disney
Vice Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873
Mr. Marty Sklar
Vice Chairman & Principal Creative Executive
Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91221

Mr. Michael Eisner
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Jay Rasulo
Chairman & President
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Al Weiss
President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Ms. Erin Wallace
Vice President
PO Box 10040

Mr. Karl Holz
Vice President
PO Box 10040
If you took the time to read.............bless you.

A powerful, wonderful letter to someone who (based on my personal experience with her) will read it and respond intelligently. Hopefully, your efforts will have the impact they deserve.

Bless you!!!!!!

A very well written letter. I really hope you get a response. Keep us posted.

DisneyKidds,

I feel your pain with this letter, but I do have to disagree on how you worded your letter. It is my feeling that this letter will not have the impact that it could have had if it were worded in a different manner.

For instance, you talk about the fact that you will not have access to some of the resort discounts because they are only available to holders of the Disney card. You are correct in that fact, but you also have the ability to apply for the card and obtain those discounts. Whether right or wrong, this is how that will be viewed in the eyes of corporate America today. We are not dealing with the "Boys in the Backroom" corporate types of the '50s, '60s, and '70s. We are dealing with ruthless, shrewd business executives whose sole mission is the dreaded "bottom-line".

I am a holder of Disney stock as you may or may not be. I have shuddered that the amount of money I have lost with regards to the recent downturn in the value of the company's stock. Yes, I too wonder why the heck Universal can spend so much money on their rides while Disney does nothing, or next to nothing. But then again, you also have to look at the teetering financial condition that Universal's parent company has been in for the better part of two years now. Constant rumblings of selling whereas I have yet to here anything regarding the possible sale of Disney.

That said, I do hope that you're letter does not fall on deaf ears, but...we all have been dealt a healthy helping of reality in the last 2-3 years to last us a lifetime.

Good Luck.

Brian

It is my feeling that this letter will not have the impact that it could have had if it were worded in a different manner.
Perhaps. I've learned to take some time between writing such letters and mailing them. I'll give it a fresh read later before I put the stamp on. I do want to come across as someone who is concerned for the company, and not just for discounts I think I should be getting.
Whether right or wrong, this is how that will be viewed in the eyes of corporate America today. We are not dealing with the "Boys in the Backroom" corporate types of the '50s, '60s, and '70s. We are dealing with ruthless, shrewd business executives whose sole mission is the dreaded "bottom-line".
A loyal customer shouldn't have to apply for a credit card, with a real possibility of being denied due of a profitability formula as opposed to credit worthiness, to have the relationship with the company be recognized, especially since it had been recognized prior to the credit card being offered. It very much should matter whether it is right or wrong, as great companies are not built solely on the bottom line mentality of todays execs. I'll try to be sure that is clear if it isn't already.
That said, I do hope that you're letter does not fall on deaf ears, but...we all have been dealt a healthy helping of reality in the last 2-3 years to last us a lifetime.
Deaf mouse ears or not (which I assume they will be), at least you have to speak up now and again. Not that I haven't in the past, but it has been a while since I have officially stood on my soapbox with Disney.

Mr. Kidds -

Great letter. Very well said and heartfelt.

You are absolutely right - the Company needs to do alot more to show the loyal customer they are valued.

Great letter!!!! Well done job!!!!
Now lets see what kind of response you get from it, a form letter or someone who rides it and thinks about it before replying.

I agree with the letter. I have in the past year sent several emails with troubling concerns addressing poor service that we have experienced. I never have had to do that before. Only two of my emails were answered - one positively, the other with no resolution.
I have a deep love for WDW, but I do worry about the future. I have even looked into Universal's new resorts as alternatives, thinking ahead to Universal parks and Sea World as vacation alternatives to our usual trips down, when I had never given those parks a second thought before.
It all started with the poor attention to cleanliness and maintenance. I clearly remember a time we were in Toontown. I looked up and saw a sign that looked covered in mildew, rust and faded away... I couldn't believe it. MK was the place my parents took me to each year and I always remembered it being so clean, sparkling, fresh...Not like Six Flags on a bad day.
I guess they thought people would come regardless of the cutbacks. Seems they still don't understand and blame it all on the state of the times....
Well, in my opinion if you want people to come you make it more inviting - advertise more shows, longer hours, ticket specials, resort discounts...
Instead they are cutting back and turning even the people that loyally come away.
It is amazing to me that such a huge company could be so way off the mark?
I, too have seen our stock once split was it four times? to being worth next to nothing...
I've been looking into DVC, but there is that nagging fear that WDW will continue to go down in demise....

Please keep us posted. I would LOVE to hear if they write you back and if they do how "vague" their response will be.

What is troubling to me is that there are numerous resort discounts being made available to those who hold the new Visa card that cannot be obtained by any other means.

The current Disney Visa room discount code matches other codes available to everyone. CZF (Visa) & AEA (anyone) are the same discount, $25 off value, $50 off moderate, $100 off deluxe.

Amazing letter !!! Bless YOU for taking the time to put your feeling into words. We felt the same way about the Disney Visa, and also did not apply. We always felt a little special being MKC members. I dont feel that way about having another credit card. We just renewed our AP's because we love Disney too much.
I hope your letter makes it easier for us to renew again next year !

:bounce:

:)

Excellent and well thought out letter. I totally agree with you on the VISA card issue. I myself have written to Disney 3 times for a variety of room problems I had had and heard back from the same person, and to my satsifaction may I add, each time. I hope you are as lucky and are heard as well as listened to.

Faith, trust, and pixie dust to you!

Regarding the Visa card, not everyone really has the option of getting one. I am a current Disney Club member. I made some mistakes with money in college, and at age 25, those aren't all cleared up yet. I would probably not be accepted for the card, and applying for one and being rejected would cause my credit rating to go down further, which is something I'm not willing to risk.

So I agree... a credit card with perks is most definitely not an adequate substitute for a discount club card.

Great letter- I wish we could send a whole list of signatures of AP holders, DVC members, etc.

I wanted to stand at my computer and applaud. What a heartfelt letter ! You speak for so many of us. Wish there was a way we COULD all sign. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could get their attention and make them listen?

I agree 100% with this letter! While I am not a Disney Visa card holder, DVC member or AP holder, I feel I am not getting anything near fair value for a WDW vacation.

My upcoming trip in May will be our fifth. If I had bought cancellation insurance I would have rescheduled for a better time with more of the offerings Disney has to make the experience that much more special. Specifically, longer hours, fireworks, and the parades.

While room rates and ticket costs have increased, I, and the public, are faced with fewer offerings with ABSOLUTELY NO CHANGE IN PRICE! Where is the logic and value in that?! It amazes me that Disney will charge @ $50 per park for 3-4 fewer hours access under the assumption I will spend my money at the resort instead of in the park. I can only speak for myself but that will not be the case. I will make a grocery store stop and load up on drinks and munchies for the resort instead of giving them more money.

And you mention discounts via cards and email. I have never once received such an offering. What is the criteria for this? Do you need to visit 2-3 times a year? If I had been offered these discounts it is HIGHLY likely I would have come down there for vacation once a year instead of every other year.

This entire vacation started out with such high hopes because of all the past experiences we had there were incredible. Now I just want to go and get it over with because I feel I am being cheated.
My 2005 vacation will not be to WDW but to an Caribbean island or Europe. And most definitely NOT Disney Paris!

What is most sad for me is that being a travel agent, I don't feel my customers will get what they pay for with a Disney vacation. I would not hesitate to suggest a vacation alternative. Disney has lost a customer in me personally, and as a salesperson for their company. And I think that is most telling as to their current state of operation. *Falling off my soapbox now*

Originally posted by DebbieB
The current Disney Visa room discount code matches other codes available to everyone. CZF (Visa) & AEA (anyone) are the same discount, $25 off value, $50 off moderate, $100 off deluxe.
Yes, I realize that and clarified the letter a little more. With respect to resort discounts, it really is the email and postcard rates that offer the best discount. As for Visa discounts, while the resort discounts may not be the deepest, whatever other discounts are offered appear to be a replacement for the Disney Club, and that is wrong IMHO.
And you mention discounts via cards and email. I have never once received such an offering. What is the criteria for this?
I haven't a clue, but customer loyalty appears to have nothing to do with it. We are about as regular customers as you can find. That is probably WHY we have never gotten such an offer. They figure were coming anyway so why offer the best discount. That is no way to reward your best customers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter